The Cat Shall Live!

First time I’m uploading a picture…trying to make it work. So, with any luck, you shall bear witness to the most handsome feline in the universe:
Vercingetorix!

Vercingetorix!

A face only a father could get head-butted at 4 in the morning by…

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “The Cat Shall Live!”

1. gingiber Says:
    May 31st, 2003 at 12:29 am

Heh ho,
    Glad to see you have a 'standard cat' too 🙂
    We've got one of them, looks almost identical and yes it trys very hard to get me to feed it at 4 in the morning too.
    Cool to hear you are coming back to Edinburgh. I look forward to seeing you then.
    Considedr yourself friended :).
    TTFN

2. gingiber Says:
    May 31st, 2003 at 12:31 am

OH Hi again, forgot to say. You should join http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=edin… for info on what's going on and possible flatmates.
    Enjoy the summer, one you get here you're notr gonna see the sun for another 6 months :0
    TTFN

May 31st, 2003 at 4:42 am

GREAT to hear you. Yup, cold it shall be, but I like it. And I'll check out the Edin group right away; thanks for the reference. Lemme know if you hear of anything, eh?

4. tallycola Says:
    June 1st, 2003 at 8:35 am

drive-by posting
    Hi,
    I saw your post on edinburgers and wanted to say hi, I'm a Canadian studying at the University looking for a flat for next year so we're kind of in the same situation (yeah, standard cat, I've got the same kind too 😉 )
    Anyway, I wanted to ask you about your dreadlocks…I started growing dreadlocks around mid-November and I've been doing the backcomb-beeswax-elastic band routine, and it's going well, I guess…I mean, it's definitely too late to go back now and the more mature dreads look really great, but how long before it all starts to shape up? Do you have any tips that don't involve getting it professionally done? Thanks. 🙂

June 1st, 2003 at 9:31 am

Re: drive-by posting
    Hello, errant Canadian:
    Thanks for the post. Dreads do take a while to set, no doubt about it. Keep washing to a minimum for the first year or so, and yes, all those lovely things that you're putting in your hair will pay off in the long run. You can expect to have the solid start of a good head o' dreads in about a year, depending on how kinky your hair is.
    As well, I'd recommend rolling them every day between your palms with some good wax or shea nut butter. These days, I'm constantly putting nice things in (lavender oil, rosemary oil, coconut pomade, a 1976 Buick) to keep them fit and smelling nice. Aside from getting dive-bombed by a starling attempting to take one of my locks home to its nest last week, I'd say mine are looking and smelling alright these days, but constant maintenance is a must. Be patient and give them lots of love!
    You having fun in Edinburgh?

6. tallycola Says:
    June 2nd, 2003 at 2:49 am

Re: drive-by posting
    Thanks for the tip. I think I might be washing it a little too often for the moment (twice a week) so I'll try to cut back, and roll every day, and hopefully that'll help. 🙂
    I love Edinburgh to no end, and you will to! 😀

7. pisica Says:
    June 1st, 2003 at 11:02 pm

Hi,
    Yet another Edinburger who found you through your post on Edinburghers…I'm a Yank, starting my 3rd year in the English literature PhD program. I'm also looking for housing starting in September, so if you find a multi-bedroom place and are looking for flatmates, please do let me know. 🙂
    (Cute cat. Are you bringing it over? Quarantine's been lifted, though the blood testing and microchipping seems to be a huge hassle. Also, you have to ship pets in the cargo hold, which is the main reason my own little guy is still in America.)

June 2nd, 2003 at 5:06 am

Hi and thanks for the posting. September is it, and I would be delighted to let you know if I can find something. I hope you'll do the same. I'm looking around, and have some friends checking stuff out as well, but of course it's hard to do so from across the Pond!
    I knew the quarantine had been lifted, but I've also chosen to leave my boy at home with a dear friend, probably for the same reasons as you. I think the trauma of the trip would be far greater than his separation from me for the year+ that I'll be gone. Who knows, maybe I'll get him halfway through! 🙂
    Cool to see you're into gaming; I'm the manager of a great games store here outside of San Francisco right now, and leaving it is the hardest thing I'll ever do (10 years +). But how could I pass up a stint in Auld Reekie to stay with a bunch of stinky gamers? ;0
    Stay in touch, and let me know how the search goes, eh?

9. pisica Says:
    June 2nd, 2003 at 6:06 am

I worked at Games of Berkeley once…. 🙂
    Right now I'm looking for single rooms in larger flats as the cost of a studio or one-bedroom is a bit out of my range, but I don't think you'll have much problem finding something close to the city center. Bruntsfield/Marchmont is a good place to look; there's a nice mix of professionals, students, and families – the main people I roleplay with, <lj user="nickys"> and <lj user="original_aj">, live there with their two young kids – it's upscale enough to be funky but not so much as to be snooty, and it's a reasonable walk to George Square (20+ minutes).
    Good luck, and I hope to meet you in the autumn!

June 2nd, 2003 at 8:23 am

Awright. Coincidence is a strange futhermucker. I also worked for GoB's parent company at the Larkspur store many moons ago. Berkeley was just bought (again) by Mike Sloan and is currently being revamped to acceptable standards. I'm over at Gamescape, myself, right now. And if that's not strange enough, nickyS seems to be a friend of one of my friends already over there. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised…that's the way networking works, eh?
    And y'know, I don't mind sharing a larger flat, either. Perhaps you can let me know if something crops up. Until then, or before, take care!

11. pisica Says:
    June 3rd, 2003 at 8:07 pm

Hi,
    I wanted to ask – are you solely interested in going the private sector route, or would you consider University-maintained flats (NOT in Halls of Residence, but 'real' flats around the city which are booked and maintained through Accommodation Services). The reason I ask is because tomorrow there is an open house event; I'm going to check out whether any single rooms are available, but can look for complete flats too. I have no idea whether this would be feasible if you aren't present in Edinburgh, but if you're interested I can make further enquiries. There's some information on these types of flats here.

June 4th, 2003 at 5:57 am

Totally feasible. I'm really looking to live in certain areas of the city, though, such as Marchmont and Bruntsfield, but if it's a nice place, and fairly close to the Archives, I'll go pretty much anywhere. If you find something nice either privately owned or University maintained, as long as it's not dorm-style housing, I'm in. Thanks for possibly including me in on your plans! Can't wait to hear what you come up with. You could always snap a couple of photos, and shoot them to me…