Coming Up Roses.

Ten days and counting. My house is a shambles, and all the precious things that I’ve placed so much importance on, all the atmospherics that were instituted to cultivate “sacred space” over the past five years are disassembled and boxed and scattered around the floor like fresh steaming cow patties. Only they smell better. A lot better.

How does one instantly qualify what is most important to them; how can one distill the symbols of their life down into three plastic bins and a few suitcases and hope to keep some semblance of who they are in a foreign land where you have no history, familiarity, or concept of home? Of course, this is my big test. My Taurean nature is overly-flabbergasted at the prospect of not having 360-degrees of creature comforts staring down from the nick-knack shelves, keeping me warm with their silent watch and confirmation of my good taste and collector’s soul. I’ll get over it. It’s good for me. But I absolutely am taking my beautiful resin Cthulhu statue with me. He needs to see Edinburgh almost as badly as I do. And my glow-in-the-dark paper-towel collection. And my fifteen disparate ant farms. Replete with aardvarks.

I figure it would be keen to post a pro forma invoice (manifest destiny?) of all my things I’m taking, so you can all tell me how silly I am in trying to cram all that stuff on the plane with me. If it goes down, plummeting into a cold mountain in Greenland on the way over, it surely wasn’t Al Queda. It was my 20-hole DMs and a hundred hardbound books on the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 and 150 lbs of white metal historical miniature Vikings. Tell Mom I love her, and than Bjorn and Ulrich and Himmlar the Ugly did not die in vain.

21 Responses to “Coming Up Roses.”

1. psymbiotic Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 2:47 am

d00d!!!
    It's not going to be the same around here without you. 😐
    You will be missed!
    Egan >:>

2. kernoonus Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 8:46 am

You can do this
    Home is where the heart is. Scotland is in your heart and you are in ours. And soon, you will be in theirs. I left home when I was 19 and left everything behind. I ended up in CA and look at the family I have now! Things may seem a little more alien to you, but then you're a well prepared man. You have a focus and you have plenty of drive. I'm sure this goes with out saying, but don't forget to have a good time too. 🙂
    Yoda mode: off

3. woe_sis Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 10:10 am

Re: You can do this
    Ditto.

August 13th, 2003 at 9:31 am

*hugs*
    i cannot imagine packing your entire house up like that.
    btw, what does thrusday evening look like for you? i can gather up a few people. i'm thinking maybe voodoo lounge then or sometime in the near future.. within the next 10 days.

August 15th, 2003 at 1:01 am

Aw, sheet.
    My house CAN and WILL fit into an 8×10 storage space. I think. It's all candles and incense and potpourri, anyway. I'll just dig a hole and light it up and dance naked around the smoldering pungent embers.
    I will be in SF next Thursday (the 21st), and would love to stop by and see you if you have a moment. Don't know if I have time for sushi before then. I'll miss you.

6. kratkrat Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 9:37 am

One does not see enough posts on LJ with the phrase "Replete with aardvarks."
    Nope, not nearly enough.
    I WILL be in the store tomorrow or Friday to get in another game of Magic with you. Gotta get my ass handed to me one more time before you go…

August 15th, 2003 at 1:06 am

I'll hand your arse to you anytime you want. In fact, I'll hand anybody else's arse to you, as well. It's my pleasure! I just like handing them. And now it's out and official; you let it leak. I PLAY MAGIC. Shoot me now, for there's no turning back.
    Can't wait to be stultified at the hands of your triple-redundant Deck of Long Words and Slow Play!
    And, of course, can't wait to see you…

8. kratkrat Says:
    August 16th, 2003 at 3:03 am

You posted on your journal a photo of a dead seal with an erection, dude… I'm thinking the revelation that you know a thing or two about CCGs is probably the lesser of those oddities! [CHUCKLE]
    Was fun playing MAGIC with you today!
    Now, as for you handing me arses, let's talk about that little neighbor of yours…

August 16th, 2003 at 3:17 am

You'll be pleased to know, my friend, that "that little neighbor of mine" reads my journal. Welcome to Embarrassing St; enjoy your stay!
    Was great to play a few hands (whose ass got handed to whom?) and suck down some wings with ya. Thursday looms…

10. pisica Says:
    August 24th, 2003 at 8:50 am

Wait, wait, WAIT a second here. You're telling me that I am about to have a roommate who PLAYS MAGIC???

11. dr_beep Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 9:58 am

I am the same way, I define a large portion of myself by the things I surround myself with.
    I can never decide if this is a good thing or not. On one hand I always have a lot of neat things at hand, my apartment, although messy, is a source of wonder for anyone who visits since they can reach out, pick something up at random, and be assured that it's probably something cool.
    On the other hand all this is a huge anchor, it locks you in place, prevents you from easily moving on, adventuring if you will.
    On the other other hand it forces a bit of responsibility, if you don't want to lose all this stuff you better make sure rent is payed!
    I live with a slight fear of loss, I know that if my apartment were to burn down I would lose a tangible piece of myself, my historical archive, I really don't know how well I would handle that, I almost wish it would happen, but not very much.

August 15th, 2003 at 1:44 am

Geez, you are SO right on.
    I so envy the more pragmatic folk who are able to subsist on minimal accoutrements. Have I/we become Fat and Lazy? Too American? Spoiled? I want to pretend that I could get along just fine without my comforts and identifying things, but I don't really know that, if only because it hasn't happened yet. Yes, a fire is my worst nightmare; hundreds of priceless books and pictures and music to be immolated uncontrollably in mere seconds. I can't imagine.
    It does beg the question: what are we REALLY made of? And does this make us depreciatingly materialistic?

13. dr_beep Says:
    August 17th, 2003 at 3:15 pm

By definition it probably does make us materialistic, but maybe not in the way most people use the word.
    I have been fighting with myself over this for a long time and don't really have any answers, would it make me a better person to appreciate things and move on? To not have to hold onto things? Who knows?
    It would be great to have a bare apartment with just the books I was currently reading, a wall hanging, and a futon. To be ready to pick up and move to guam at a moments notice. On the other hand my friends who live in such a way are always enraptured by the amount of cool stuff in my apartment and can't keep themselves from reaching out and playing with things whenever they are over, so I guess there is balance there somewhere.

August 18th, 2003 at 12:07 pm

Again, right on.
    What is it about us that feels so affirmed and wonderful because our tastes have the ability of entertaining other people, with either kitsch or cool?
    'Member "Feel Good Mr. Liver?"
    I guess that balance that you speak of is really 150 lbs heavier in the junk and packrat direction. With both of us. And I'm moving it ALL right as we speak. 🙂

15. inkbot Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 11:21 am

ten days! holy edinburgh castle, batman! i wish we all could have a bit more time… btw, i love halsted! she is so awesome. not sure what your love pact is, but if you don't secure one, i just may go pick up a copy of "How to Become a Lesbian in 10 Days or Less"! hee hee. smirk smirk. totally approve of that girl. does she have a twin brother? 😉 anyway, she has definitely been welcomed into the fold. sad that we must now send our dear friend over yonder… sniffle.

August 15th, 2003 at 2:26 am

Hey! Hands off my Lesbian!
    Yeah, she's quite important. And I'm pleased as punch that you feel so warmly toward her. When one's emotive, tasteful friends affirm good choices in a pleasant manner, everything feels…right.

17. inkbot Says:
    August 15th, 2003 at 12:40 pm

*giggle*
    well, thank you, and right back atcha, my emotive, tasteful friend. you can take comfort in the knowledge that she'll be in good hands. and, no, i didn't mean it like that! i just mean, we'll all be together, missing you. and you'll be overseas, drinking really effing good scotch…

18. cygnoir Says:
    August 13th, 2003 at 1:17 pm

Last December, when I moved out on my own for the very first time, I had a similar experience. I was forced to pack only what meant most to me, and what would fit in my new little studio apartment. It was humbling, to say the least, to purge all that Stuff that had come to represent such an important, if painful, part of my life. However, once I moved in and began my new adventure, I realized that I had condensed the experience of my possessions, once scattered and confused, into a solid and meaningful collection.
    When you go, you will create a new home with your own small collection, some of it old, and some new. Within your collection exists some nuance of your many, myriad friendships here in the States, and I hope you will focus on that whenever you feel the slightest bit homesick. Although I suspect you will be much too busy with your studies, new friends, and adventures that the pangs will be brief. The lives of your friends here will have a you-shaped void in them, mine the newest, but no less empty.
    You are one of the strongest and most resilient people I have ever met, so I feel no need to write words of reassurance about how you will adjust to Edinburgh. My concern is about how Edinburgh will adjust to you. 😉 And, of course, how this place and the people in it will adjust to your absence. It's comforting to know that once all of your friends have been successfully converted over to Macs, you'll only be an iSight away.

August 15th, 2003 at 3:13 am

Well said, and wise words.
    I breed so much nostalgia, like a gummy lump of slowly gestating slime mold, that I am absolutely assured that no matter how many things I find myself doing over there, and no matter how many projects I find my head swimming around, I will still take my requisite mourning time to affirm the beauty of the people that are physically so far away from me, and whom I miss so much. What form that takes is open to question and interpretation. A dram of whisky and a well-founded toast, perhaps, or a silent prayer at rosy dawn over the Firth…or even some furious masturbation in requiem to dearly longed-for friends.
    Even so, your thoughts are sweet and true, and my environment will surely morph into a similar comfort that shall certainly support and care for me as my wonderful acquaintances so lovingly do now. The only hole more poignant than the me-shaped one I might leave behind is the you-shaped one inside of my own. And her-shaped, and him, and them.

20. purpleleopard Says:
    August 19th, 2003 at 8:45 pm

Hi! I stumbled upon your journal after joining the Edinburgers community…
    I am heading out to Edinburgh for my masters this year also, in Cognitive Science. I know how you feel about having to choose which things are most important, my belongings barely fit into a small u-haul last time I moved… I don't know how its supposed to fit into a couple suitcases for this plane flight. But then there is the possibility of filling up a whole new space with treasured nick-knacks 🙂
    Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I think your choice of studying history of the clans during the fight for the throne is amazing…Such a rich culture, and a heartbreaking loss in the end.

August 24th, 2003 at 9:00 pm

Hi!
    Thanks for the post, and good to meet you! I wish you all the luck with your PG degree, and I urge you to give me a shout sometime after all is settled. I completely agree that it feels…like home. Can't wait to arrive, unpack, and booze it up–I mean, uh, crack those books!
    Cheers!