Hey and Away!

The finest family in the entire country has extended their hands to me in generosity and friendship. Fist moment I arrived, after departing the airport in one of Glasgow’s notoriously grumpy (and clearly suicidal) taxis, I was lead once again into ol’ Craig Allen (the Mallan’s beautiful Gerogian suburban home) for some tea and biscuits, a brief revisiting of Helen’s garden, and, thank the gods and faeries, a splendid room with more than all the amenities, offered with warmth and kindness and love during my temporary stay in Glasgow.

I’m pleased that I copied all my customs and shipment forms, as DHL was on my back right away to furnish them with the forms that they already had. Sure enough, they found ‘em, and I should have my massive bins by Thursday to see exactly how much was broken in the shipment.
Peter drove me around (and around) the City sprawling, and we made our way back to Loch Lomond, which welcomed me with open arms. The air is fresh and cool and tickles the throat, and how nice it is to have to bundle up, still in the ides of summer. Ducks and geese and swans played upon the still waters of Lomond, unfettered by human footsteps, as they, in true bombastic Scottish nature, eagerly awaited handouts from the patrons of the Duck Bay waterfront restaurant. Only one small, dark gosling was missing…
Some fresh shrimp and a Tenent’s later, we wound back to town, eyes drooping from the time-change, lager fresh on the toungue, and stirring conversation still dancing ‘bout my head. A well-needed nap, and then a massive meal of Yorkshire pudding, sausage medley, and new potatoes with limitless HP sauce (we give thanks to small miracles), followed by more tea and biscuits and wonderful conversation about wars, human nature, and comparative religion. Sure, just a small dinner, just a token kindness. That’s what they would have me think. I know better–these people are nearing holiness. It is their way.

14 Responses to “Hey and Away!”

1. cygnoir Says:
    September 4th, 2003 at 3:12 pm

This small, dark gosling has a familiar today: a tiny black ladybug who hopped on my PowerBook and fluttered her wings at me. She has bright red spots, red for luck, and she already the luckiest of all insects. I watched her flit along my keyboard and then I logged in. And there you were.
    Your arrival sounds like it was not only smooth but heavenly. I'm missing you, but enjoying by proxy every moment of your adventure.

September 7th, 2003 at 11:25 am

Smooth and Heavenly. Like your skin.
    You'll be here soon, and then not want to come home.
    You may feel free to bring the ladybug. I enjoy a good threesome. 🙂

September 4th, 2003 at 3:30 pm

though you did not need to leave CA to have to bundle up in the summer… just come visit me!
    heh
    when are you posting peektures? everything you mention sounds wonderful…

4. evilfb Says:
    September 4th, 2003 at 10:03 pm

Glad you made it safe, sound, and into welcomeing arms. Been thinking about ya, and I will be seeing you November for a tushie rub…..

September 7th, 2003 at 11:26 am

Oooh. Tushie rubs. Just like the ol' days, eh?
    November is just around the corner, bubba. Looking forward to it!

6. gingiber Says:
    September 5th, 2003 at 1:13 am

Hey
    Glad to hear you arrived safely. Give me a call when you want to be Edinburgh bound. Did you get my last message with my contact details.
    Hope you have a good chilled time round loch lomond.

7. pisica Says:
    September 5th, 2003 at 2:04 am

Oooh, Loch Lomond. Love that place, and the Runrig version of the song.
    Glad you've arrived safely. I sent you an e-mail with my mobile phone number. Let me know when you're bound for Edinburgh and we can arrange a time to meet up.

8. kratkrat Says:
    September 5th, 2003 at 8:04 am

Thanks for the update, Darren! I, like many other of your admirers, I am certain, think about you often and send warm thoughts your way. Glad to hear that everything is going swimmingly for you so far!

September 7th, 2003 at 11:27 am

Thanks, my friend.
    You're missed very much.
    Warm thoughts make it all bearable.

10. kernoonus Says:
    September 5th, 2003 at 8:51 am

Sounds like a slice of heaven. I'm sure you're soaking it up. Live the dream!

September 7th, 2003 at 11:28 am

Last time I saw a slice of heaven was a shadow on the hotel wall. Remember?
    Oi!

12. kernoonus Says:
    September 8th, 2003 at 8:59 am

Oh lord.
    Welcome to America, Penny! I should NEVER run for any type of public office.

September 8th, 2003 at 12:55 pm

Re: Oh lord.
    I disagree entirely.
    Just think of the platform!
    "Pro-Choice, Anti-Animals' Rights, and Shadow-Puppetry of the Penis!"

14. kernoonus Says:
    September 8th, 2003 at 1:29 pm

Re: Oh lord.
    Maybe I should run for Govorner? Move over Arnie, there's a NEW heavy weight in town.
    Increase salary for teachers/schools, police, firefighters, etc.
    Legalise pot and prostotusion but regulate the hell out of them.
    Make prison a bad place to be.
    Thursdays are clothing optional.
    Who's gonna vote for me?