Auld Reekie, Hello Again

After a phenomenal tour of Fife and its environs today, (looked for Prince William at St. Andrews to throw stones, but to no avail) we drove into Edinburgh, just as the sun was setting. It was good to see Her again, and All was as it Should Be.

I spoke with Lindsay about the pull that a living city can have on a person, and we exchanged experiences regarding this and the insatiable desire to follow it. I can’t explain it any other way, but I feel AT HOME there. I fear no street and no person, like a maternal womb, and there was a palpable comfort seeping across my body as we wound through New Town on the way to a supper at The Lady Nairne. Though it may sound melodramatic, Edinburgh reaches out to me and asks me in, and I want nothing more. It’s a city that I know I will live in someday, but at that time, permanently. If you come out, you’ll see what I mean.

There are no disappointments, no expectations exceeding reality (a first for me?), and no disarming unfamiliarities. Just a founded, warm, undeniable coating of pure comfort that drifts through the fog, floating across permeating aromas of freshly-brewing hops, rolling over and between the disparate stones of ancient cobbled streets, and seeping through the closes of buildings that have seen more than we ever will.

Shit, I’m really home. I don’t know how this happened, or why this is the way it is, but I’m coming in just a few days.

7 Responses to “Auld Reekie, Hello Again”

1. cygnoir Says:
    September 7th, 2003 at 1:12 pm

I wrote you email about our synchronicity on this subject today; me in San Francisco, and you in Edinburgh.
    I can't wait to experience the place you call home.

September 8th, 2003 at 12:48 pm

Funny how we work that way. I think you'll find a great parallel between the two places, which explains some of why I feel so drawn to it, and why it feels so comfortable.
    Come on over…the water's–fucking frigid!
    *cringes*

3. purpleleopard Says:
    September 8th, 2003 at 8:30 am

Thank you for putting into beautiful words what I have only been able to stumble at. As soon as I reached Edinburgh I felt at peace and at home. When I left a year ago I felt actual sorrow and swore that I would come back. I can't wait to be there again. Your posts are a wonderful way of remembering what it is I am headed towards and why.

September 8th, 2003 at 12:51 pm

Totally my pleasure, darlin'.
    I'm glad you connect with my thoughts and words, and also very pleased that you feel a kinship with the city in the same way. Nice to have it, eh?
    When you coming out?

5. purpleleopard Says:
    September 8th, 2003 at 10:10 pm

I have missed Edinburgh very much, no other place has ever made me feel so completely at home. Now that I have found the place I would love to be, I must start on my mission to convince the people that I love that they want to live there too.
    I am arriving on the 18th. So right now I am in the process of trying to fit my life into two suitcases for airplane travel… How thats going to work is beyond me.

September 9th, 2003 at 3:51 am

As soon as you accept that it *won't* work, the task will be much easier. And remember, you have three suitcases to work with. Two stowed and one rolling about the cabin with you. And if you want to give up your soul, like I did, you can take more. But they'll bleed ya, baby.
    Your arrival is imminent; I salute the closeness of it. Welcome back!

7. purpleleopard Says:
    September 10th, 2003 at 1:54 pm

Hehe well I have surrendered to the large part of my things that will have to be left behind. I believe I will keep my soul for now. I am going to be staying in a hostel for the first week in Edinburgh so I think I should try to keep to a number I can handle myself when traveling.
    I thank you for your welcome! I cannot wait to be back.