Adventure Day, Pt. 1

Made it back over to Edinburgh, and am currently staying with a couple of friends and wonderful hosts, gingiber and the One without an LJ account, whom I met on my last holiday out here back in 2000. They recently purchased a flat in the very centrally-located Marchmont area, and have opened their home to me for a few days until my own flat opens up. Since they are selflessly toting a dear friend to London (11 hrs by car) for a occupational move this weekend, I’m in charge of the flat, the three ravenous, flesh-eating kitties they keep, and a blisteringly fast wireless connection that my Mac is deeply in love with. Yes, that’s right. I could be on the can right now, typing to you, and you’d never know.

I’m honored that they would trust me with their home; it’s a nice place to relax for a while before kicking into high-unpacking gear. And I’ve got more tea than you can shake a shillelagh at. Note to my new local friends reading this: these pictures are most likely boring to you. You don’t have to keep reading. This is the touristy part of the journal, for the benefit of my dear ones across the Pond. Thank you.

Anyway, here’s the area my friends live in:
Marchmont
This is Marchmont, across the Meadows from the University and the City Centre.

Seth&Lara
My lovely hosts, in their abode.

Elouise1
The sweet, wonderful, larnyx-impaired Elouise!

Elouise2
And again, this time on my freaking pillow. Still crapping fur, I am.

It’s been an eventful couple of days, for certain. I’ve been mostly catching up with old bills and the like, but also have been checking out the new flat and seeing the progress on getting it ready. New renters get a plethora of new furniture and kitchen supplies here in Britain, and the hardwood floors have recently been sanded and new paint applied, so the prep time is coming down to the wire. Thankfully, it’s all part of the rental package. More as it comes with the flat, but here’s the street I’m moving on:

Home Street
Home Street, right off of Tollcross. And next to the Liquorice Club! Mm, strippers!

My department at the Uni is about 10 minutes away by foot, as is the castle and the City Centre. The easiest way is through The Meadows, a massive stretch of parkland where people gather to play football, frisbee, or just lay in the pseudo-sunshine and get a nice, light tan. Really light. Okay, not really there. The Meadows are legendary for being a burial ground for Edinburgh’s plague victims from the 15th-century. Rumor has it the bodies were never disinterred…

MiddleMeadowWalk
The view down the main walk, towards Marchmont.

Arthur's Seat
Arthur’s Seat, Edinburgh’s highest point. An ancient volcanic plug, as seen across The Meadows.

And that’s a vision of my surroundings at the moment. More later, on the brilliant pub experience of last night. Thanks for checking in!

11 Responses to “Adventure Day, Pt. 1”

1. lolliejean Says:
    September 12th, 2003 at 10:50 am

Hi! I'm Lori, a friend of 'Sted's for the past few years. I'm so enjoying your missives from Scotland as well as the pictures. Especially since I'm dating a Scot from the Falkirk area who now lives here in Destin, FL.

September 12th, 2003 at 12:04 pm

Hi Lori!
    So glad you're enjoying the posts. We call Falkirk "Fuckirk," because there are fifteen roads leading in and one leading out, and nobody there knows where the hell anything is. But Arab Strap is from there, and that makes up for a lot.
    Pleased to meet you. We shall undoubtedly speak more later!

September 12th, 2003 at 11:21 am

i guess this must be the equivalent of posting pics of coit tower and the GG bridge…
    still, makes me want to visit. i'm so hoping next years trip makes it possible.

4. parklygirl Says:
    September 12th, 2003 at 11:47 am

SO pretty!!
    ::sighs wistfully::

5. tallboi Says:
    September 12th, 2003 at 12:42 pm

driving back from vermont last night i was drinking an irn-bru and thinking of you. sorry we couldn't meet up before ya left but perhaps a plane might just be in order…

6. cygnoir Says:
    September 12th, 2003 at 10:29 pm

Gorgeous photos, D. I can't wait to see the inside of your flat, and I can't wait to see all of these places in person.

7. kratkrat Says:
    September 13th, 2003 at 1:16 am

So now we know that, were you really typing that while on the can, you were crapping fur while you did it! It's nice to be smart and stuff and piece these disparate details together.
    [CHUCKLE]
    Great pics, my friend! Man, but I wish I was there to see it all. And I wouldn't even sleep on your pillow!!

8. nickys Says:
    September 13th, 2003 at 8:27 am

> gingiber and the One without an LJ account, whom I met on my last holiday out here back in 2000
    You aren't one of the random Americans who left a combat jacket in our flat late one night after Gigantor in 2000, are you?

September 13th, 2003 at 8:56 am

No, Nicky. It wasn't me.
    I don't wear clothing.
    Aren't most Americans a bit random?

10. nickys Says:
    September 13th, 2003 at 9:39 am

Not many of them follow us home, though…
    Anyway, you appear to be wearing clothing in that userpic.
    See you later this evening.

September 29th, 2003 at 10:40 pm

Lovely photos
    Hi, it's I again, slowly catching up….Never apologize for your musings and descriptions, they're wonderful. Very different from even my favorite travel books — a whole other perspective. And thank goodness one of the few things I know how to do on the computer is save photos! The drool is probably coming right through your screen … just more Scottish mist, right? 🙂 Oh, and your friends' kitty is waaaay cute; my own little furbundle is right here next to me, with that same "monarch of all I survey" expression. The only thing worse than cat hair on the pillow is cat hair in the computer. Wishing you more of all the nice things,
    Kirsty