Books and Beer

Just the other night, my friends took me out to a local pub to see Adele off. She’s going to London on a job and is leaving a massive group of really great people to pursue her plan. It felt like I was seeing a duplicate of what I just went through, from the other side. We connected on that notion, and had a great time, besides. It’s a shame the City’ll be losing her.

One of her passionate hobbies includes horror movies (you listening, Bob?), and she apparently is the organizer of the largest national horror convention over here, so I imagine we’ll be seeing her when the event draws near, in April. As well as having a good amount of “alternative” writers at the shin-dig, I was introduced to Ken MacLeod, and over a drink or six, we blathered on about Calvinist witch trials, my impending thesis, and the fact that he’s close with Iain Banks, one of Scotland’s most respected and prolific sci-fi writers.

While I’ve read a small selection of Banks’ works, the true kicker is that he is absolutely the driving impetus in cygnoir’s passion for writing. I mentioned this to Ken, and he offered to take us out for some drinks with Iain when she comes out to visit me this Christmas. Needless to say, cygnoir absolutely shit her feathers.

I spent some time describing to Ken my own focus in my Masters’ work, and we had a nice discussion about the inherent importance of the Jacobite movement and its effect on modern Scotland. I expressed to him apprehension at the fact that I’m a Yank dealing with a very caustic and inflammatory subject to many Scots, and after listening to my explanation, he said the following Words of Wisdom, which I shall always hold dear:

“It’s okay. All Scots are Whigs when sober and Jacobites when drunk.”

And then the world made just a little more sense. I don’t even need to write a thesis! In this country, I simply have to take my professors out, get ‘em pissed, and hit on girls. I really AM home!

But really, it was just another Thursday night out. Pure magic.

9 Responses to “Books and Beer”

September 13th, 2003 at 10:18 am

all i can say is….wow!

2. inkbot Says:
    September 13th, 2003 at 2:53 pm

what's adele's last name? i know a scottish adele, adele bethel. she's in a band. it'd be too much if we knew the same one!

3. gingiber Says:
    September 15th, 2003 at 9:58 am

Not the same Adele I am afrid 🙂

September 15th, 2003 at 11:52 am

AAAARGH!
    YOU KNOW ADELE BETHEL?
    No, it's not the same one, but OHMYGOD!
    It's not just any band she's in, darling. That's the same Adele Bethel from Arab Strap, who's one of my top three favorite bands. How do you know her, and can you put me in touch, subtly? 🙂
    "A band", she says.
    Hmpf.
    Damn. You're even cooler than I originally thought… 🙂

5. inkbot Says:
    September 15th, 2003 at 11:59 am

yeah, that's it! i couldn't remember the name of it. no way! i've never even heard their stuff. you'll have to edumacate me. we met at a morrissey concert in glasgow back in '91 and then re-met in 2001 when i was over there with my friends who are in the smiths cover band. she came to their show in glasgow. hee hee. god knows how she recognized me after 10 years, but she came rushing up, "charlotte?!" she's a sweetie. haven't heard from her in a while. she was going to come out this way, and i was going to go out that way, but neither of us went either way!
    i'll drop her a note, yes? how shall i word this, hm?
    hug,
    char

September 19th, 2003 at 6:19 am

Um, how 'bout:
    "Hello. One of my friends wants to suck your toes."
    No, I'm really just kidding. It might be nice to let her know, however, that I'm a huge fan of her stuff, and would love to hear more about Sons & Daughters; perhaps you could offer her my e-mail address if she'd care to contact me?
    That way theres no stalker-weirdness going on. 🙂

7. inkbot Says:
    September 19th, 2003 at 11:29 am

someone's gonna love me. someone's gonna plant a big, wet, sloppy e-kiss on my computer screen. someone needs to check their email…

8. inkbot Says:
    September 19th, 2003 at 11:30 am

gasp! oh no.
    make that "someone needs to check *his* email."
    sorry, 'sted and other linguisticistical geniuses.

9. evilfb Says: