Making good on my Promises.

At the expense of three frostbitten fingers and another day of pissing away important ThesisTime, I bring you visual joy, with no small thanks to the Lady Luna.

FrostLinks
I stepped out my door this afternoon to find the first solid frost of the year all around. Biting and…well, cold. And frosty.

Mound
View of the Mound and the official Edinburgh Christmas Twig. Also, proof that there are hippies wherever you go.

Caledonian
The regal Balmoral Hotel as seen from the Mound. And a flock of cranes. And the moon.

Waverly
The one on the left is a ride. The one on the right is a monument, which *looks* like a ride. Choose your weapon.

Calton
I can’t really even put words to this one. But I love it. Right about here, I felt my testes fall off from the cold.

Wheel
Wow! So festive I want to vomit! And somebody did, from the top…I’m sure.

There will be more, after I get some work done. Three weeks of freedom, starting this coming weekend and a now properly white-balanced Nikon make me very happy.

28 Responses to “Making good on my Promises.”

1. lilitufire Says:
    December 8th, 2003 at 1:09 pm

I always think the Scott Monument looks like a rocket.
    Nice pics.

2. original_aj Says:
    December 8th, 2003 at 1:23 pm

Ooh, when am I likely to run a Victorian steampunk science fantasy game? It's got to happen. I suppose a full-on superhero game could work. Hmmmmm. Can't immediately see how to work it into Cthulhu………

3. velvetdahlia Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 10:07 am

Whoa– a Giger, Victorain Steampunk Rocket! Ready for take off!
    Now, if there were smart people around these parts doing Steampunk RPG's, I'd be playing again. But, alas! You are all far, far away.

December 9th, 2003 at 12:57 pm

Thanks!
    Yeah, it's totally a rocket – one more sign that Sir Walter was *seriously* from the moon.
    Why a man who is single-handedly responsible for establishing a fabricated, romantic vision of Scottish identity gets a huge spacecraft/monument right in the middle of the city is truly beyond me.
    Oh! I know! You can't deny the cashflow it wrought! 🙂
    Haggis and Tartan and Bagpipes, oh my!

5. fragiletender Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 2:24 pm

Well I guess that Scottish identity was pretty much up for grabs since we had been colonised pretty thoroughly by the English at that point.
    Anyway, the Victorians built it, and they were completely and delightfully nuts. Ersatz fantasies were what the Victorians were all about, so Sir Walter was right up their street. I prefer RLS myself but I do recall that we used to charge around the place playing Rob Roy McGregor when we were kids, but I am Scottish so I guess I'm allowed…

December 9th, 2003 at 2:52 pm

Oh, certainly!
    I much prefer RLS, as well.
    Regarding Scott, however…Waverley and most of his other works were decidedly pre-Victorian, and I think the romanticization of the Highlands really started around 1814, after the rest of the country finally settled into the post-Tory scare and it was okay and perhaps even fun to enjoy the rural quaintness of the Highlands without being branded as a disaffected, cattle-thieving rebel, mostly thanks to Scott. George's trip in 1822 was unprecedented at the time, and no doubt later Victoria helped the "it's cool to be Scottish" thing along rather nicely in her affair with Balmoral. And today…we have wee Mel. Hoo-boy.
    Have you seen George's tartan-tastic outfit from his trip in the National Museum? Surely he must have been grumbling through the whole ritual of donning such an ensemble… 🙂

7. fragiletender Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 5:38 pm

Oh certainly, he died not long after Victoria came to the throne. You are probably right about the dates, the 18th century is on my (long) list of 'things I don't know enough about'. Recently I have been feeling that I need a better understanding of the Enlightenment.
    I haven't seen the tartan outfit in the musuem, is it in the newer Musuem of Scotland? I know the original part of the museum much better than the new bit. But I'll look it up when I'm up at Easter. As you may already know if you happen to have read my blog today, the Chamber Street museum is one of my favourite places in the world and I always go and visit it when I come up to see my folks.

December 9th, 2003 at 6:05 pm

Yep, the one on Chambers Street, for sure. So much to see in there…good thing it's free!

December 9th, 2003 at 2:58 pm

By the bye…you have some *marvelous* musical choices in your own journal.

10. fragiletender Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 5:32 pm

Thank very much, I usually think many of my musical loves are a bit uncool so that's nice to hear. What do we coincide on? I notice you like Middle Eastern music and Nick Cave, so that's two we're in agreement on…

December 9th, 2003 at 6:00 pm

Well, other than the aforementioned couple, I see a few others:
    Kate Bush, Billy Bragg, TOM WAITS, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Peter Gabriel, and Beth Orton.
    And uncool, to me, is *very* cool.
    Can't swing with Tori, though. But I know you still respect me. 🙂

12. fragiletender Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 6:39 pm

It's OK, I know that not everyone loves Tori. I saw Billy Bragg live for the first time this summer, he was unbelievably good.
    I'm sitting here on my second Bailey's with skull icecubes left over from Halloween. Since I don't drink much usually, I'm a tad tiddly so you'll have to excuse my typing.

13. sibelian Says:
    December 8th, 2003 at 1:29 pm

Ooooooh!
    I *like* that one of the moon over the Calton Hill….
    She's been putting on her finest over the past few days hasn't she? 🙂
    I've been reminded why I can't leave…

December 8th, 2003 at 1:59 pm

Re: Ooooooh!
    Yeah, but she's a serious bitch.
    Her finest, and most mess-with-you-est.

15. velvetdahlia Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 10:08 am

Re: Ooooooh!
    Watch it, bub! That cute new userpic isn't gonna get you out of this one! : )

December 9th, 2003 at 1:00 pm

Re: Ooooooh!
    Damn! She has cronies to do her work, now!
    *hides in trembling fear*

17. psymbiotic Says:
    December 8th, 2003 at 2:49 pm

VERY pretty! I like the obelisk in the second to last picture. :>
    Egan >:>

December 9th, 2003 at 1:01 pm

That's where we do our cannabalistic Scottish rituals once a month.
    Wanna come out?

19. psymbiotic Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 1:32 pm

Will there be cake?
    Egan >:p

20. kittynitro Says:
    December 8th, 2003 at 3:47 pm

Yay!
    Wow! So festive I want to vomit! And somebody did, from the top…I’m sure.
    Hooray! In less than a month, that person doing hurlies from the top of that monument-slash-ride is going to be me!
    But first: I just got my tickets to the Flock of Cranes reunion show at the Warfield. I'm so excited! Those guys were among the most underrated haircuts of the 80's.

December 9th, 2003 at 1:03 pm

Re: Yay!
    Dooood!!!!
    Flock of Cranes is my *FAVORITE* band ever! That is, next to BEEF SHEATH.
    Can't wait to see ya, pukey…

December 8th, 2003 at 5:45 pm

Love the new icon. MOOOOOOOO!
    And you inspired me to post three of my Edinburgh photos from a while back. <a href = "http://www.livejournal.com/users/angledge/85474.html&quot; rel="nofollow">Check them out.

December 9th, 2003 at 1:04 pm

Hot damn, those are good shots.
    Well done – and thanks for the plug in your journal!

24. velvetdahlia Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 10:12 am

These pictures are amazing, as always. I get a vicarious thrill from them, to be sure! They've put me in a festive Winter Solstice mood. Bring on the wassail!

December 9th, 2003 at 1:06 pm

Thanks, Mooney.
    You're gonna be here to see them in DahliaVision before you even know it…
    Just think, drunken stumbling and stuttering – in person!

26. blackthorne6 Says:
    December 9th, 2003 at 9:09 pm

If I may,
    I added you to my friends list.
    I don't know you,but you were on a friends list that I read,and you entries seemed fascinating.
    I loved your photos,and I am envious of your studies.
    Thank you.
    Blackthorne6

December 10th, 2003 at 5:56 am

Re: If I may,
    Not at all. Welcome aboard!
    I've seen your icon around, as well – ah, the web of common friends continues!
    So glad you're entertained, even just a bit. 🙂

28. blackthorne6 Says: