Juxtapositions.

I promised some time ago that I would post a comparison between an old print I found in one of my history texts and a modern view of the Grassmarket area in central Edinburgh that I took myself. I finally was able to scan in the previous image, and here they are, back-to-back.

Print Modern

The first is the Castle view towards the northwest, from an etching most likely done in the early-19th century–but it could be earlier. The second is a digital snap I took in September 2003, from a similar perspective. This is probably my favorite view of the city, as it really affords an understanding of how some areas of urban Britain simply do not change over the years. I’ve been collecting different views of the Grassmarket from throughout Edinburgh’s history, and it is evident to me that this is one of the most immutable places in the city. As they get scanned, I shall post more…just for fun.

As well, with the help of my friends’ amazing and feature-filled camera, I managed to stitch together some panoramic shots of our brief excursion northward last weekend.

Rannoch Panorama
A stitch of Rannoch Moor, with 180 degrees of true vision.

Culloden Panoramic
Another almost-180 degree shot of the battlefield at Culloden, looking south towards the River Nairn and Drumossie Moor. This was the extreme left of the Government lines, and Hawley’s dragoons broke down the walls of the reconstructed enclosures visible in the photo to flank the Jacobite army.

10 Responses to “Juxtapositions.”

1. nickys Says:
    January 9th, 2004 at 7:13 am

Odd how none of the buildings in the Grassmarket are the same, although they're all in the same style. I guess there must have been some cosmetic changes over the years.

January 11th, 2004 at 4:58 pm

Yes, I think Gladstone's Land is the only tenement from the period still standing in Edinburgh. After a look at the place, I'm not surprised more havent survived. It does look a bit…precarious.

3. avalokita Says:
    January 9th, 2004 at 7:26 am

that's beautiful. I want to see a castle…
    Very little exists in my part of the world from over 50 years ago. Perhaps some industrialist's mansion from a 100 years ago…but those are few and far between. I want to lay my eyes on a real castle.

January 11th, 2004 at 4:59 pm

If I chip off a piece and send it to you, would it make you happy?

5. avalokita Says:
    January 11th, 2004 at 11:04 pm

nah, whole pictures are much more pretty.

January 10th, 2004 at 3:12 pm

Ooooh, I love the side-by-sides. Thanks for posting them. I will think of this every time I walk down Candlemaker Row into the Grassmarket.

January 11th, 2004 at 5:01 pm

Rock. Glad you liked it.
    Have you seen the great little folio series of Victorian Edinburgh photos? Most of the local bookstores have them, from Stenlake Publsihing…
    You might find some great pictures that you like within!

8. scotis_man Says:
    January 12th, 2004 at 2:40 pm

Jelous
    Hey Darren, I am glad that one of us gets to be there. Thanks for sharing. (Read, WOW!)
    -Karsten
    PS – Miss you man.

January 13th, 2004 at 5:57 am

Re: Jelous
    Hey, baby. Good to hear from you.
    I hope you're recovering well, and that you might be able to make it out someday soon.
    Stay tuned here for more!

10. scotis_man Says:
    January 14th, 2004 at 12:51 pm

Re: Jelous
    Getting better every day. 🙂
    I guess that my biggest wish is that we could time it so we could all be out there together.
    -Karsten