Art Imitating Life, and so on…

I feel, quite strongly, that I am actually living certain aspects of Lost in Translation. I’ll leave it there. A fine film, gentle and subtle. Resonant. Hopeful.

But I’m never, ever going to Tokyo. Ever.

While on the subject of the Movie vs. Real Life-Phenomenon, I’d like to briefly mention a strange account I recently came across. While perusing a book of intercepted letters from 1745, I stumbled upon a note from Laurence Oliphant the Younger to his father, the Laird of Gask. Since both of them supported Charles Edward during the Forty-Five Rebellion, their estate was subsequently forfeited and they were attainted, fleeing to Sweden to escape punishment by the dominant Hanoverian regime in Britain. While in hiding from the long arm of George, they adopted monikers to help keep their trail cold, being (I swear to you this part is true) quite Tarantino-esque in their choosing: Mr. Brown and Mr. White, respectively. This was November of 1746, at least a few years before the Reservoir Dogs made it on the big screen. I think that Mr. Orange and Mr. Blue were hanging out somewhere near them, but I’m pretty sure that the latter’s ass got smeared all over Sunset by the son-of-a-bitch LAPD.

Anybody up for seeing Peter Watkins’ Culloden at the Filmhouse later this month? It’s only an hour long, and absolutely worth it, as part of the best 50 Scottish films of all time presentation they’re offering this month and next. Looks like two showings, Sat 31 Jan and Sun 1 Feb, both at 5:00 PM. If you’re interested, let’s head on down and do a little art-imitating-life of our own. I’ll bring the whisky and the brooding…

15 Responses to “Art Imitating Life, and so on…”

1. diotina Says:
    January 19th, 2004 at 8:33 am

'attainted' – what a fantastic word!

January 19th, 2004 at 4:17 pm

Have you heard Marc Almond's extended version of "Attainted Love"?

January 19th, 2004 at 9:06 am

Me me me!

January 19th, 2004 at 4:18 pm

Which day, which day?!

January 20th, 2004 at 2:17 am

How about Saturday?

March 15th, 2007 at 4:11 pm

I never did see this film.
    I'm missing you today. Missing Sarah. Missing Scotland. Kinda in a funk. Hooray for LJ to give me something to wallow in.
    Can you believe we've known each other for (only) three years?

7. spiffington Says:
    January 20th, 2004 at 4:12 am

Me too!
    But I don't know if it's possible what with teeth and all…

8. lunesse Says:
    January 19th, 2004 at 9:31 am

I love that film. I had a week in a hotel in a town I had never been in before, with an older man. We went out and got drunk, had late night phone calls and really bonded during that week. We even lamented the end of the time, knowing we had to go back to our real worlds where we were involved with significant others and had other things going on. It never got physical, it was just an understanding of "another time, another place." We became good friends as a result, but the intensity of that time has never been repeated.
    That movie made me ache for the characters, in pain and happiness at the same time. It is so wonderful to find someone to share such a secret time with (so secret, we don't even get to hear the last things they say to each other, which was so PERFECT), yet so tragic that it can only last for so long before being broken by reality. But it can still live in the minds of the two who were there.
    It's a fun movie to resonate with, and painful, too huh. =)

January 19th, 2004 at 4:41 pm

Heh. I thought you were talking about "Culloden". 😉
    Your assessment is so perfect, and exactly clarifies all the reasons that I loved it, and why it works so well. Another time, another place, indeed. A snapshot of an alternate reality that greatly affects your "real reality" but with no other lasting evidence thereof when it's done.
    And yes, the last scene of whispers unrealized was my favorite.

10. dr_beep Says:
    January 19th, 2004 at 2:29 pm

I'm hopefully seeing Lost in Translation sometime this week… although having my car stolen has slowed me down it will not stop me!
    Plus my family is being awesome and is making it possible to get rolling again in the near future 🙂
    I feel a sort of gravitational pull from Tokyo, so much that defines my aesthetic is from there or can be found there, things I don't even know about yet!
    It is likely I would hate the place, and I may never find out, but it does have a pull.

January 19th, 2004 at 4:43 pm

I can totally see what you mean, and why you identify with the place. I have a feeling you would thrive on it – the pace, the kitsch…but since I've never been there, I can only guess.
    So sorry to hear about your car. That'll teach you to park in Oakland!
    *grumbles at shitty thieves*

12. dr_beep Says:
    January 19th, 2004 at 5:16 pm

Yeah, how dare I park in front of my house 🙂
    My next car is going to be so thief proof they will need a crane! Battery cutoffs, alarm, the club, I may or may not stop short of tear gas and light explosives in the seat, we shall see.

13. dougygyro Says:
    January 19th, 2004 at 8:40 pm

I've got an old bootleg copy of "Culloden" on VHS that I stole from my Pop a few years back. I like the way they did a "first hand coverage, from the front" style of presentation. Very Doctor Who of them…

January 20th, 2004 at 11:21 pm

Old boots at Culloden…er..
    So when do I get to see it? 🙂
    Kirsty
    Wait, this isn't the one you showed at your Culloden party years ago, is it, Darren? That was *way* too realistic to watch after doing re-enactment with one's best friends! Brr! (Loosely translates as "cauld grue up the wazoo")

January 23rd, 2004 at 3:12 pm

Re: Old boots at Culloden…er..
    Nah, that was "Chasing the Deer," which was entirely more silly than Watkins' piece. Gotta love Brian Blessed, though, no matter what he does…
    Same topic, more better and stuff.