Ouchie.

I fear, my dears, that age is finally catching up with me. It’s creeping at my back, giggling… and launching brooding waves of vultures to pick my bones after time has done its necessary and impending work.

Okay, I’m being dramatic. It’s not that bad. But I do hurt.

I finally got back in the gym for the first time since the winter break, and jumped right back into the ring after a full workout. I figured, fuck doing it gradually – there was a film crew there! Shoulda listened to my aching joints, and though the pugilistic skills that one learns don’t flap off into the ozone after a paltry two months or so, I am not myself in there these days and *very* achy afterwards. I think I pulled a ligament in my elbow and I certainly don’t have the endurance I used to. Sure, I haven’t been keeping up with running or any other cardiovascular efforts (other than the occasional bike ride and rock climb – thanks, S&L!), but regardless, I’m not as sprightly as I used to be.

So to rectify my achin’ joints and muscles, I thought I’d try my tonsils at my very first Chicken Kebab here in Britain. I like hot stuff – really, I do. But I have never experienced *anything* so painful as the crimson acid that they squirt all over that beast from the Middle East. I’ve learned my lesson. Next time, only a little bit.

Maybe I should take up knitting. I’d be a serious bad ass. And then I could knit myself cool and unique boxing trunks, but it would never go over at the gym.

13 Responses to “Ouchie.”

1. rachel_eurydice Says:
    January 22nd, 2004 at 6:25 pm

*pictures knitted boxing trunks and laughs*
    Oh my…..
    ***
    For the sore muscles and joints, a hot bath in epsom salts and a couple drops of eucalyptus oil is amaazing.

January 22nd, 2004 at 6:34 pm

You're my favorite TV advert.
    We don't have eucalyptus trees in Scotland. Just whisky.
    Thanks for the advice; I shall abuse it.

3. rachel_eurydice Says:
    January 22nd, 2004 at 6:46 pm

*L* Whiskey works too.

4. seide Says:
    January 22nd, 2004 at 9:36 pm

poor baby
    next time prepare a milkshake to have at the ready for all capsaicin adventures. or at least a lassi or a thai iced tea, anything with dairy.
    I giggle uncontrollably at the image of your hand-knitted boxing trunks. Though those nubby threads have potential . . .
    Nurse those aches and pains and jump back into it– in spite of the pain it feels good to push yourself and as a woman who is officially verging on "une age certain" let me state that it doesn't get a bit easier– how I wished I'd shored up the mortal framework in those earlier days.

January 23rd, 2004 at 3:18 pm

Re: poor baby
    "Nubby" and "boxing" have no place in the same paragraph, my dear.
    Just like "glitter" and "sparring."
    For my birthday a number of years ago, one of my "friends" dumped a packet full of bronze glitter into my dreads…years later, I still find some hidden among the nappies. I could deal with the initial humiliation of permanently sparkling in the sunlight, but after sparring with the guys at my old club, I always got odd looks after breaking from a clinch…they always had great masses of faerie poop all over their manly chests.
    Didn't do too much for my self-image. 🙂

6. seide Says:
    January 23rd, 2004 at 3:33 pm

Re: poor baby
    Damn. Does this mean I have to return my Hello Kitty boxing gloves?

7. velvetdahlia Says:
    January 23rd, 2004 at 4:15 pm

Re: poor baby
    Dood. You just put "nappies," "faerie poop" and "sparring" in the same sentence.
    You must learn to knit. I am now addicted to knitting. It is beyond the "new yoga" as they say. It is the way… the light…
    Plus, I just want to see you in those wool shorts.

January 24th, 2004 at 8:26 am

Re: poor baby
    *hits the ground laughing*

9. fraulein_doktor Says:
    January 23rd, 2004 at 4:31 am

*Thinks about the knitted boxing trunks and collapses on the floor, laughing*
    Sorry to hear you're having a bit of 'aching' time.Next for whatever reason your throat and tonsils are sore,drink some warm-hot water or add some lemon and honey or have herbal teas. I know that probably what I've just elencated is nothing new, but they do work…
    send you hugs(not 'squishy' ones, as I wouldn't like breaking some other piece of you.. 😛 )

January 24th, 2004 at 8:31 am

I love the proliferation of friendly (and pleasant) nursemaids that pop up so quickly, convened only by a few whines here and there…I must complain more often!
    Thanks for the helpful advice!

11. fraulein_doktor Says:
    January 24th, 2004 at 10:26 am

You're welcome 😉

12. scotis_man Says:
    January 23rd, 2004 at 12:45 pm

Knitting
    Ya know, Amy has been known to teach knitting to friends. 😀
    I have been trying to get her to make me a pair of knitted pluterhosen … we have documentation and a period pattern. 😀

January 24th, 2004 at 11:35 am

LOL!!!
    "I could knit myself cool and unique boxing trunks"
    Be careful what you wish for…
    😉 C and T