Awwwwww Yeah.

A new country with myriad distractions. A procrastinatory expert with broadband and many-a-gig of dream-inducing music. Good friends with games and cake.

These things are supposed to stop me from doing important university work, and to make it harder to concentrate and buckle down for the deadlines looming ahead. The lure of visiting friends from afar should muddle my focus and replace historical conundra and fastidious grammarianisms with fucking off and drinking vats of whisky and chatting in smokey cafés and dancing until my vertebra bulge and my lungs are coated with tasteless smoke-machine tar.

But somehow, some way, I miraculously finished my latest essay project THREE DAYS ahead of schedule. What’s wrong with me?

Entitled: Nae Guid Reputation: The Behaviour of Charles Edward Stuart’s Jacobite Army and Public Perception.

Content: The mythologized racial perceptions of the Jacobite constituency, propaganda, and the discipline of the army as tested in Edinburgh, Carlisle, Manchester, Derby, and Aberdeen.

Conclusion: Fuck if I know.

No, just kidding. I actually came up with a basic truism that could very well be better explored in a longer study. In short, the behaviour of the Jacobite army of the Forty-five was far more disciplined and ordered than contemporary propaganda and subsequent racial and religious sectarianism would proffer. This good behaviour and stigma-shattering civility was directly dependent on Charles Edward’s presence to ‘charisma-tize’ the soldiers, either through loyalty, respect, or fear of reprisals, and his ability to keep the troops in line gradually broke down after the retreat from Derby, leading eventually to great difficulties with desertion, supply, and looting. Aberdeen, where the Prince never set foot, was a veritable madhouse of depredations and chaos, yet surprisingly turned out up to a quarter of the effective Jacobite military through the local influence of limited peerage, hardline levying, and rampant impressment.

Which leads me to my dissertation later this summer.

*drool*

Now it’s time for a drink, a reuniting, and a month of adventure.

18 Responses to “Awwwwww Yeah.”

1. defenestr8r Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 2:53 pm

new country?
    wha… where are you (going)?

March 9th, 2004 at 9:34 pm

New country to me, sweets. Even after six months.
    I haven't exhausted all the recreational activities in Scotland quite yet. 🙂

3. defenestr8r Says:
    March 11th, 2004 at 3:11 pm

never mind me. i'm too buried in books to know which end is up.
    glad i didn't miss a major chapter!

4. madame_mage Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 4:58 pm

OH my goodness..Just have FUN..
    you certainly deserve it ..and good luck on your dissertation!

March 9th, 2004 at 9:35 pm

Thank you *very* much.
    'Deserve' is deeply in question here, but it's always nice to juxtapose the wonderful feeling of completing a big project with that of impending fun times just ahead.

6. madame_mage Says:
    March 10th, 2004 at 12:21 am

Aww..I think its how you percieve what "deserve" is..
    being the spoilt little beta monkey girl that I am, anything I've done with effort gets a reward immediately…
    but I think I like your way better..

7. nickys Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 5:18 pm

Well, given the general reputation of soldiers as a class at the time, Charlie did remarkably well in getting the Jacobites perceived as Not Total Maniacs.
    How does it compare to how the Hannoverian troops were perceived?

March 9th, 2004 at 9:43 pm

I imagine execution, whipping, and public humiliation are fine motivators in any class…and it speaks directly to the 'propagandized' Highland lifestyle, which was affirmed and perpetuated anyway, as discipline quickly broke down.
    As for the British army ('Hanoverian' is a qualifier for the administration, and George's army on the Continent), Cumberland's contingent especially was as problematic in Aberdeen, where their depredations there were as horrible as Lewis Gordon's and Glenbucket's. Locals complained of theft, public executions without trial, and numerous Episcopal church-burnings, and this is all months before the atrocities subsequent to Culloden.
    In brief, Charles clearly had more respect for the cities in England than Cumberland did for those in Scotland. But really, the Duke wasn't trying to win over the country…he was trying to subjugate it.

9. nickys Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 9:50 pm

Yes, one of the things Charles was quoted as saying was something like "These people are also my father's subjects" (possibly that was at Derby?)
    Have you got to the bit about the Edinburgh Castle garrison being told to go and break up teaparties if the ladies were wearing dresses made of tartan fabric?

March 9th, 2004 at 10:00 pm

Yeah, he blathered on about that a few times. 🙂
    In his correspondence to James, as well, Charlie often quite candidly extolled the virtues of his father's potential English subjects. After Prestonpans, he was quite saddened that his enemy was of a similar blood.
    The Castle garrison managed to make a few forays down the western walls during the occupation, but mostly to burn suspected Jacobite meeting-houses. Most of the public tartan-wearing and ordinance against it came after the Rebellion was over.

11. nickys Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 10:17 pm

> Most of the public tartan-wearing and ordinance against it came after the Rebellion was over.
    Yes, the teaparty thing was after, too.
    It's in "Damn Rebel Bitches – Women of the '45" – Maggie Craig – Mainstream Publishing – 1-85158-962-7

12. original_aj Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 6:01 pm

Sounds interesting. I'd like to read it if you wouldn't mind – could you send me a copy please? (I assume you have an electronic version)

March 9th, 2004 at 9:46 pm

Well, AJ…I'm honoured that you'd care to read it, but of course I have to be careful of where it goes for now, especially electronically. So I'd be happy to hand off a hard-copy to you that you can return in good time.
    I'm quite interested to get your opinions, as well.

14. original_aj Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 10:44 pm

Hard copy is fine – I wasn't sure if you'd have spare copies and it doesn't cost or take much of your time to email it! I understand your not wanting it in circulation though. When/where would it be convenient for me to get it?
    I'm interested in the application of leadership and the period, adn it's an area I haven't seen much about so it sounds very interesting!

15. blu_matt Says:
    March 9th, 2004 at 6:02 pm

Well done me laddo! I just hope you're not marked down for using too many zeds. 😉
    And you are coming out play at the weekend, yes? 😀

March 9th, 2004 at 9:56 pm

Cheers, my brotha!
    You bet I'll be out this weekend. Can't wait, in fact! Will I see you, as well?
    Oh, and just for you:
    <font size="5">Z

17. scotis_man Says:
    March 10th, 2004 at 4:17 am

Congratulations
    Good job on the schedule keeping! You always were one for priorities in the face of … erm … methodes of having fun.
    I, too, would love to read it, but I suppose I will wait until you are back and can expound upon it, yourself. (Maybe over a pint with Jonny and the rest.)

18. podle Says:
    March 10th, 2004 at 6:35 am

Nae Guid Reputation
    You know – everytime I see this I have this mental vision of Joan Jett, heavily armed and singing at the top of her lungs.
    Its a nice image. Thanks.