My Title.

As I’ve always said, I love titles.

As I’ve always said, it encapsulates a piece of work – poem, painting, paper…film, romance, friendship…

But more than that, it gives that variable a name, and in part, gives it a life. Some people choose their titles for ‘X’ before the piece is even begun, while others wait until it is penned, painted, or experienced to do it the honour of a name. Me, I do both.

And now I’ve been asked to give forth what I want my Master’s degree certificate to say about me, and what I’ve been doing this year. How to encapsulate a lifetime of passion and interest and research into six or seven words, smashed into 12-point Helvetica shivering below the threatening University crest and still proudly proclaiming all different angles of my course of study with delicacy, veracity, and style?

Can’t I have a few more words?

I know what the answer will be, so I’ve decided on the following, wholeheartedly reinforced by my supervisor, and true to the many different aspects of my study and topics and papers:

‘Military and Social Consciousness in the Forty-five’

And that’s me. But not all of me.

20 Responses to “My Title.”

1. thedarkcyde Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 10:23 am

And that’s me. But not all of me…
    yay !!!!!
    what a title that IS !!
    looks even better in 14-point Garamond !!!!

May 6th, 2004 at 11:04 am

*hops around*
    You said it, sister!
    You can say it again if you like! 🙂

May 6th, 2004 at 3:11 pm

She's a bit Garamond, but I'm a whole lot more Helvetica. But that's just me!
    (she'll probably kick my ass later)

4. dichroicynosure Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 10:56 am

to catch the ocean in a net
    O gawd, the evolution of my title is a thesis in itself–beginning with something like "The Aesthetics of Medieval Thanatology in Norway" to "The Ars Morendi Tradition as Present in Medieval Norway" to "Death and the Law" …I still don't know what it'll end up with, but my o my it is a triumph to be as far as you are and the title is good- catchy-concise.

May 6th, 2004 at 11:02 am

Re: to catch the ocean in a net
    I really like the word 'thanatology' and would keep it with little doubt. 🙂
    The hard part was to create a concise title without gluing it to my dissertation alone, or any of the other, tangential paths I've explored. Clearly, you know how this is.
    Regardless, I still really am fascinated by your subject and am eager to hear more as you let it out…

6. dichroicynosure Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 11:22 am

just in brief…
    Yeah, I am trying to arrange my chapters which go something like:
    1, Death and the Law (the establishment of the legal system, state formation and the influence of canon law)
    2. Baptism and Christian Performativity (focuses on the ways that Medieval religiosity was constructed and maintained and demonstrates how baptism was a key act of joining the obligatory club)
    3. Circumscription of the Churchyard (dealing with the way in which space was sanctified and how the community of Christians restructured notions of kinship groups as well as how the churchyard was profaned and functioned as a central place taking over the position of the royal farm from Heathen times)
    4. The Social Politics of the Churchyard (how status was maintained and negotiated even after the conversion–in Norway this meant that boys get the better spots and the rich get to be next to the magical saints where they can soak up their aura 😉
    5. The Excluded (deals with the whole history of heretics, witches, the inquisition, Jews, degenerates, criminals, capital punishment and attonment and where these bodies would be buried)
    6. The Liminal (bodies which problematise the binary included/excluded division through their marginal status between, this included partially baptised people, unknown bodies found in the woods or on the coast etc as well as deformed children)
    7. Varieties of Interment
    8. Rites of Transition (deathbed stuff like the right to Divine Unction, confession and the viaticum burial and transition)
    9. Medieval Christian Eschatology (notions about the afterlife and how this is demonstrated in the liturgical history)
    10.Resurrection Theology and how the Saints body escaped the theological notions of wholeness of body.
    11. Christian Grave Goods (popular manifestations of eschatological notions and how priests functioned as transmitters between the official theology and the popular practice)
    12. Grave Ales and Funerary Feasts (very Heathen stuff which is still legally acceptable and even enforced)
    13. The Art of Commemoration (through runestones, epitaphs, wills, effigies etc)
    14. Conclusions.

May 6th, 2004 at 11:27 am

Re: just in brief…
    Thanks so much for taking the time to notate this down. Very good stuff, and very complete and well-thought out, clearly.
    If I may ask, how long is your final dissertation going to be, or what is the specified length?

8. dichroicynosure Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 11:35 am

I really am going to go to bed after this.
    The reason that I am not turning in this semester is that I have written WAY toooooo much and gotten my fingers in all kinds of messy pots. The length is between 0-130 and I have about 200 pages. Gulp!
    Would love to see your thesis' skeleton too if you have time, but now I really do need to get some sleep. Fake it til I make it.

May 6th, 2004 at 8:38 pm

Re: I really am going to go to bed after this.
    Holy Bejesus, that's a long Master's dissertation!
    True, mine is only a one-year course by research, but yours sounds like it could eat you out of house and home of its own accord…
    In fact, I haven't begun to write mine yet, though I have all summer to actually continue research and actually get the stuff down. I do have a short proposal due in the next week or so, but it's not detailed chapter by chapter in the same way as yours. Maybe I'll sent it to you upon completion.
    Yeah, like you have time to read another paper. 🙂

10. ubernacht Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 12:24 pm

I was sure you would choose:
    <font size="3">My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult!</font>

May 6th, 2004 at 8:29 pm

Well, I was saving that for my doctoral thesis…

12. kittynitro Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 3:29 pm

See, I thought it would be something simple, like: "Freeballin': The Aesthetics of Highland Habiliment in the Forty-five: A Post-Masculinist Critique."
    I like your title way better. You must be thrilled to be nearing the home stretch!

May 6th, 2004 at 8:33 pm

That is a *truly* K comment. And a good title, to be sure.
    Actually, it was gonna be that or 'Twigs, Tartan, and Tweed: The Social and Societal Considerations of Appreciable Levels of Dirt and Peat in Local Whisky Manufacture'.
    No, not a home stretch quite yet…but on the way!

14. pisica Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 6:48 pm

My post-doc application required a title of 50 *letters* or less. Including spaces!
    But no, of course it isn't all of you – even the dissertation itself isn't!
    Just wait until you have to write the abstract, though. THAT is hell. 'If I could have expressed this in a paragraph, why would I have written 12000 words on it?!'

15. seolta Says:
    May 6th, 2004 at 7:16 pm

huh 🙂 – that's cool dude! Kinda makes me wanna read it too 😀

16. dougygyro Says:
    May 7th, 2004 at 2:31 am

I've always had fun with putting a little bit of humor into my titles.
    For example, a paper I wrote a year ago analyzing the polyamorous community from a cultural anthropology / kinship studies bias was called "The Archie Andrews Complex: Betty AND Veronica. The Anthropology of Polyamory."
    I know that as an undergrad I'm given a little more leeway, but how well would that attitude work at a graduate or professional level?

May 7th, 2004 at 2:37 am

Sure, as an undergrad in San Francisco, that's keen.
    In British postgraduate programme, good luck. They look at you funny here when you omit the 'u', for Chrissakes.

18. dougygyro Says:
    May 7th, 2004 at 5:12 am

Well, yeah… "Postgradate" *does indeed* look kinda funny.

May 7th, 2004 at 5:16 am