Poisoned.

My god. I can’t see.

I’ve never been this ill from drinking in my life, but then again I’ve never previously attended a meeting of the Edinburgh Uni Whisky Society before, either. I had always fancied going along to their twice-monthly gatherings, but had always found something conflicting to do with my Thursdays. But this one was open, though now I wish it hadn’t been.

The dear that she is, angledge invited me out (as she’s a regular member) and even bought me a membership, to boot. Sure there are only two meetings left before the term is over, but could I have really survived any more?

Funny thing, famous last words. I remember telling Ange that I could drink whisky like water and not suffer any ill effects. She giggled, of course, knowing exactly what was in store for me. It indeed flowed like water, and I was foolish enough to have a Macallan warm-up while waiting for the meeting to begin. Each mega-dram during the event was about a quadruple measure, and we had five, I think. Then down to the pub and two or three more, with a couple of pints thrown in. Some wonderful, fun-loving people, from all parts of the world. Brought together by their love of being drunk.

Oddly enough, I remember the whole night, and whisky only makes me happy and giggly, so hopefully there was no insulting behaviour with which to associate that little, dreadlocked Yank. But now I’m soooo sick.

So sick.

Haven’t been able to peel myself out of bed all day (thank goodness for laptops) and I’m typing with two fingers here, with my head down. Who knew what useful skills one would acquire here in Scotland? I only hope I can make it out for more drinks later this weekend. 🙂

*deep sigh*

25 Responses to “Poisoned.”

1. defenestr8r Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 2:41 am

I suffered a similar whisky-induced evening at a Burns night celebration in London. There was a bottle at the center of every table and MsKatie and I absconded with one to make it through the Odes to the Lassies. I have no recollection of getting home that night and it would have been at least a 40 minute cab ride.

May 15th, 2004 at 1:49 am

And that was in London. I can't imagine what you would have done in Edinburgh.

3. defenestr8r Says:
    May 15th, 2004 at 1:58 am

Ah, but in Edinburgh they would've been real Scotsmen not the poor Limey imitations. I think that's what really drove me to drink!

May 14th, 2004 at 2:49 am

I'm hungover too
    Buck up, old chap! It's only 313 hours until the next meeting!

5. dougygyro Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 3:11 am

So jealous.
    ****SO JEALOUS****

May 14th, 2004 at 3:16 am

Oh, not of this hangover, you're not.
    When you comin', anyway?

7. podle Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 4:09 am

The first time I got hammered via whiskey was in the company of visiting Aikido instructors from Scotland. I vaguely remember hitting a bullseye in darts right after my Sensei said, "Stop throwing like a girl!" and I replied "I *am* a girl!"
    I don't even know how much I drank. I just know that the visiting teachers decided I was their new best friend. I had to call in sick to work the next day and wasn't able to train again for three days. The minute I set foot on the mat Sensei used me for demonstration of a particularly brutal technique called irimi nage – kicking my ass up one side of the mat and down the other while laughing and saying, "Too much whiskey!" as a sort of punctuation to throwing me. Needless to say, I thought I was gonna die.
    Man I love good whiskey.

May 14th, 2004 at 8:43 pm

Oooh, I used to drink with my aikido instructors (in Ann Arbor, MI). We would drink sake at dojo banquets. If one of the senior instructors pointed at you & said ::something in Japanese I no longer remember::, you had to stand up, bow to the instructors table, & slam down a shot of sake. Then everyone cheered.
    Those were long nights.

9. podle Says:
    May 15th, 2004 at 2:39 am

So you totally understand 😉 One of my most drunken nights ever was at a dojo party where some junior students (following the example of others) kept making sure my glass was always full. Silly me – if there's something in my glass I just keep drinking it. It was the first time I'd ever been on the receiving end of that. Yeeg. I knew there were dangers to teaching, but I'd never thought that would be one of them!

May 15th, 2004 at 1:54 am

Now you know that by including the illustrious 'e' you're designating your favorite libation as either Irish or Mash?
    If I would have had as much whiskey as I had whisky, we would not be having this pleasant little conversation right now!
    Regardless, that anecdote is precious, and I think your Sensei's punctuation was a perfect one…and a good battle cry in any language!
    TOO MUCH WHISK(E)Y!

11. podle Says:
    May 15th, 2004 at 2:36 am

I didn't know that! Sadly – I have no clear idea whether there were e's in the stuff I drank. They just kept handing it to me. And I'd never been around Scots before – Stevie I could pretty much understand, but Alan's accent was so thick I don't even know what he was trying to tell me. There's just something really life affirming about beating the crap out of eachother for hours and then getting drunk together. Man I miss those guys.

12. marasca Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 8:02 am

Drinking with Ang is ALWAYS a dangerous pasttime.

13. effrontery Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 2:38 pm

What she said!!

14. tallboi Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 8:26 am

you've inspired me to go get myself a nice bottle of the amber. the first drop goes out to you. and your hangover.
    -b

May 15th, 2004 at 1:50 am

I can't tell you how much I appreciate that sentiment?
    ?

16. antipathy_q Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 9:52 am

poor baby…hope you are feeling a little better after a good sleep and a greasy lunch. that always seems to shape things up for me.
    oh…and vitamin B….replenish, replenish, replenish!
    ciao!

May 15th, 2004 at 1:56 am

Thanks for the much needed sympathy, darling.
    It took me about 24 hours to eat, but I'm feeling better now. Where's that husband of yours when I needed him to cook for me and be my cabana boy?

18. seide Says:
    May 14th, 2004 at 11:27 am

Ooh, bummer. I haven't touched whiskey in approximately twenty years, when I raced a friend to the bottom of a fifth . . . I won, if you can call it that. The prize was my first hangover.
    Poor fella! Hope you are feeling better soon!

May 15th, 2004 at 1:59 am

Oh, thank you.
    And congratulations on that long-ago victory. You have my respect even now!

20. vegasjohnny Says:
    May 15th, 2004 at 1:20 am

I know id's late, but: Hair of the Dog and copious amounts of Gatorade, Stat!

May 15th, 2004 at 2:01 am

And Irn Bru, and banging my head against the wall…
    AND MORE SCOTCH!

22. shawree Says:
    May 15th, 2004 at 1:38 am

What, no buca run for you this weekend (as I am lead to believe is planned judging from Tales' phone calls trying to inspire my other half and Sponge to come and join)? 😉

May 15th, 2004 at 1:58 am

Oh, I expect I'll get my stuff together and go see the crew. It's just a matter of promising and praying that I can do it on lemonade and *maybe* a bloody mary or two…
    Anything else would be…silly.
    I'd love to meet you one of these days, but I'm often in Aberdeen anyway…we should all meet up soon!

24. shawree Says:
    May 15th, 2004 at 2:27 am

Get the boys to meet up in Aberdeen again – the main reason we're not in Edin this weekend is that we can't leave our cats alone for that long.
    We should definitely try to meet before your time in Scotland is up. Do let us know when you're headed this way!

May 15th, 2004 at 2:37 am

cure…
    Try this: 3 Advil, echinacea, 1000mg vitamin C, a tall glass of water and a nice long walk in the morning. Sleep the rest of the afternoon with a nice, warm kitty 🙂 That seems to work for me. Hope you are back on your feet soon…
    C&T