Things I like.

There are many things that make living in Edinburgh such a brilliant experience.

One of them is ability. Just the ability to do things that appeal greatly to my sense of enjoyment and aesthetic. Things that I couldn’t do at home. Simple things.

This evening was spent in the fine company with the boys (mxhaunted & clockworkbeetle), three bottles of wine, munchy snacks, and a lovely, dusky, grassy spot beside the Water of Leith near Stockbridge. It’s comfortable to take a nice stroll along Victorian walking paths in the fading light, crumbling stone fountains and old monuments shadowing on either side. It’s freeing to sit in the open and enjoy a good Sangiovese, laughing and kicking our legs over the low stone wall, not concerned with the local authorities enforcing Puritanical American taboos of open containers and bad public manners. We were just enjoying being alive, and tasting, and talking. The sun stayed out until about 9:30 tonight, and it wasn’t completely black until 11:00.

DeanDusk

17 Responses to “Things I like.”

1. mxhaunted Says:
    May 17th, 2004 at 9:40 am

Yay to that!
    Glad you made it along. Shame it was a bit nippy but ya’ can’t do much about that… other than wait a month more. It is nice to chill out in such a beautiful place with so much character. Good company always helps. 🙂
    As I said, I think a picnic in the Botanic gardens could be a good idea one weekend. For me, at the moment, it sounds like a good way to unwind: Good friends, a blue sky, shaded by trees, a bottle of plonk and a view of Edinburgh… getting back to nature. 🙂

May 17th, 2004 at 9:19 pm

Picnics are good. Plonk is good.
    You name the day, whenever we manage to scrape together some collective time.

May 17th, 2004 at 1:17 pm

ooohhhhh,aaahhhhh…..
    Wow, save some of those beautiful sunsets! That night sky is such an amazing hue of blue and purple. Getting back to nature is gratifying. I am glad you are taking the time for those simple pleasures. Can't wait to see a sight as grand as that one and of course to see you 🙂
    C&T

May 17th, 2004 at 9:22 pm

Re: ooohhhhh,aaahhhhh…..
    Well, it was actually less purple that night; my white-balance is a bit weird sometimes.
    But not to kill the thrill – it's still amazingly wonderful.
    You'll see it firsthand in just a few short weeks!

5. spiffington Says:
    May 17th, 2004 at 7:24 pm

dusty days or pearly presents?
    Buying a drum my foot, shop moved to Leith has it? 😉 (I jest I jest!)
    Seriously, I'm really pleased you had a good night to chill out in the beautiful present, rather than being caught up in an interesting but dusty time gone by.
    Had a funny feeling somehow you'd be doing that kind of thing. I mean who can pass up any opportunity to revel in our fabulous city? Soon I shall join you all 🙂

6. mxhaunted Says:
    May 17th, 2004 at 8:16 pm

Re: dusty days or pearly presents?
    I was going to invite you but Darren said you were rushed off your feet. Next time I’ll give you good warning. Hmmmm… still think the idea of a tipple in the Botanicals sounds like a good idea.

7. spiffington Says:
    May 17th, 2004 at 9:09 pm

Re: dusty days or pearly presents?
    Awwww thanks 🙂
    It's really sweet that you thought of me. But D is completely right, I am a busy bee and would have only had to say 'No', which is a pain in the bum. I think had you even given me good warning I'd have prolly not been able to come anyhoo, so don't concern yourself. I didn't feel left out! Promise!
    Yup, I think Botanics is a grand idea. I finish in a week, so maybe after then we can all get together and take food and drinkies and have a grand picnic? Assuming the weather holds out! We could even take teddy bears and make it a teddy bear picnic!!

May 17th, 2004 at 9:18 pm

Re: dusty days or pearly presents?
    Um, teddy bears?

9. spiffington Says:
    May 18th, 2004 at 7:22 am

Re: dusty days or pearly presents?
    Why of course! You don't want to upset the bears now do you? That would be unwise. Think of the little white bears with brown noses who would be so terribly, terribly lonely if they didn't at least get an invite.
    Some of us of course will have no trouble bringing furry friends along. Others may struggle: different climes, not being at home, not owning any… Possibly singing dreadlocks may be substituted?
    'Oh Darren, you came and you brought us a picnic. With your scotch eggs and ham and titbits…'
    But teddy bear loans are always negotiable for a suitable fee…

May 19th, 2004 at 3:41 am

Re: dusty days or pearly presents?
    STRANGE. BEAN.

11. thedarkcyde Says:
    May 18th, 2004 at 2:10 am

is that st. giles i see in the distance……………….gasp.
    is it?
    awwwwww i wish to be teleported.
    now.

May 18th, 2004 at 7:07 pm

st giles.
    nope.

May 19th, 2004 at 3:27 am

No, that's a much smaller cathedral on the hill overlooking Dean Village.
    Still pretty nice, eh?

14. kittynitro Says:
    May 18th, 2004 at 6:43 am

And I think I live in a place with pretty skies and pretty buildings. Oh, that is just beautiful.
    Also: Hi, Artlyn!

15. seolta Says:
    May 18th, 2004 at 6:56 am

This is my favourite sky aspect… that blue that nothing else can quite reproduce exactly fills my heart to bursting without fail 🙂 The only thing that could enhance it is a sliver of a waxing crescent moon winking out, barely there 🙂
    Why can't you get these simple things at home? What prevents it?

May 19th, 2004 at 3:36 am

Well, to start, we have very little architecture like this back home. Especially on the West Coast.
    Of course, most of the buildings in Edinburgh are older than the entirety of the U.S., not to mention that as old and rustic as San Francisco appears, it only became a state in 1850, and most of it is built upon landfill.
    🙁

May 19th, 2004 at 3:44 am

dont forget pennsylvania
    goes back to about 600 bc. And what about St Ignatius? (Just trying to hold on to some sf pride and entice you home again…)