Quote of the day.

I try to avoid politics these days. I’m not a voter, so I generally eschew any serious judgment and therefore responsibility for the abominations that call themselves representations of the American Democratic public.

But that’s not really a sound excuse, and I know it.

Regardless, I really enjoyed this response from Republican Senator John McCain (who is also the potential running-mate for John Kerry, welcome opposition to Ol’ Bush-tard). In retort to the idiotic House Speaker Dennis Hastert, who suggested that the former 5-year Vietnam War POW McCain learn a lesson about sacrifice by visiting injured U.S. military troops in Washington-area hospitals, McCain states:

“The speaker is correct in that nothing we are called upon to do comes close to matching the heroism of our troops. All we’re called upon to do is not spend our nation into bankruptcy while our soldiers risk their lives. I fondly remember a time when real Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility.”

Hastert must have a piece of shrapnel of his own within his pea-brain to not honor and acknowledge what Johnny has been through. McCain’s response in some way conveys a sense of support for our fighting boys and girls wherever they are, blended with the understanding that there are many ventures not worth pursuing. And of course, for more than financial reasons. The rest of the article is here.

And he also is the author of a bill to organize a National Committee for the sport of boxing, just as every other sport in America has.

In other news, I offered to buy one of the departmental professors a drink at the pub earlier tonight, and he promptly took the entire £10 note from me. I received no change. I guess that’s how the rules work here in Edinburgh. Bet they don’t do that in St. Andrews. 🙂

11 Responses to “Quote of the day.”

1. original_aj Says:
    May 20th, 2004 at 8:57 am

What the hell was he drinking? Unless that was a round for 4 or so people I'd have expected to get change. Could he have just forgotten to hand it over? I'm certainly not aware of any social convention which would allow the pocketing of it, except when offering the barstaff a drink as a tip. Since they usually aren't allowed to drink on duty they would usually take a nominal amount of cash rather than an actual drink at that time. But someone you're drinking with should give you the change.

May 20th, 2004 at 9:04 am

It wasn't a problem, and was actually rather humorous. He wanted to buy some drinks for some other folk, and pretty much appropriated my tenner as a good method for doing so. I have every confidence that I'll get it back with interest. There was no malice involved. 🙂

3. zotz Says:
    May 20th, 2004 at 11:35 am

Bet they don’t do that in St. Andrews.
    Bet they do.

May 20th, 2004 at 6:56 pm

Hehe.
    Touché!

5. nickys Says:
    May 20th, 2004 at 6:17 pm

> I’m not a voter, so I generally eschew any serious judgment and therefore responsibility for the abominations that call themselves representations of the American Democratic public.
    Could I ask you to please reconsider your position on voting?
    Granted that in US elections the choice seems to be between Right Wing, Extreme Right Wing and Lunatic Fringe in many cases, and you as an individual have very little power to change that.
    But "very little" is still more than none.
    Even if the candidates are dreadful, maybe democracy itself is something worth standing up for, worth giving your support to?
    I hate to think how bad the US will get if any more presidents are appointed by the courts not the voters.

May 20th, 2004 at 7:10 pm

Could I ask you to please reconsider your position on voting?
    No, but thanks for your concern.
    I'll explain my reasoning, and then that's the last I want to hear of it here. Seriously. I didn't post this to receive a diatribe on my moral imperative to cast my vote, as pleasant was the way in which you offered your unsolicited advice.
    We have a limited Democcratic process, dominated by an extremely flawed electoral system. Popular counts have never meant anything, as demonstrated by the Tilden/Hayes fiasco of 1876, not to mention the current administration. I am a California resident. I will always know exactly which direction California will vote in, and the number of electoral votes ascribed to that state will always be the same until the census changes, and always contribute the same number of electoral votes to the Left. This is why my Federal vote really doesn't make a difference, and never will.
    The best I could hope for in exercisng my right to vote in America is to support local politicians, bills, and propositions, which I have and will consider upon my re-entry back into California.
    That's as much as I want to say about it, thank you.

May 20th, 2004 at 8:39 pm

I'll explain my reasoning, and then that's the last I want to hear of it here.
    I will honor your request to not discuss this further here, but I do want to talk about it sometime.

8. seolta Says:
    May 20th, 2004 at 7:33 pm

🙂 LOL @ the tenner…. How did the presentations go?

May 20th, 2004 at 7:41 pm

Hehhe. Indeed!
    The *real* price of education…
    It went very well, thanks! There were some unexpected (and pretty intimidating) people there, but they didn't throw desks and chairs and tomatoes, so I think it was received fairly well.

10. pisica Says:
    May 20th, 2004 at 8:40 pm

Damn it. Hastert is from my home state – I think he's even from the last place I lived in Illinois (though it was never 'home' to me).
    Drinking customs here are wondrous strange….

11. ubernacht Says:
    May 21st, 2004 at 2:44 am

I love McCain..he is the only candidate in the last 12 years I would have been happy to have as our leader.
    Ofcourse those who would be first-rate leaders will never succeed in our government today. We should just realize it and continue to hire actors. At least then we would be assured of having a leader who could speak in public.
    Arnold even makes Bush look bad…