If there is a GOD…

I want to extend a sincere and much-appreciated Thank You to my lovely Friends who have left words of joy and support here for my possible job acquisition. There are more developments on that front, and I’ll outline them here, because it helps me to enumerate the reasons that I should push for it. Like there’s any alternative? ๐Ÿ™‚

This is incredible, really.

After receiving the forward from my academic supervisor, I hastily typed out an introduction and list of connections I have with the line of research being undertaken by the National Trust. I have no resumé or CV drawn up, so it was more or less “this is what I’ve done, this is how excited I am about the project, so that’s why you want me”. It’s after 5:00 pm on a Friday, and not five minutes after sending off the mail, the project lead calls me to discuss the workings a bit further.

This is what the job entails. Hold on to your hat, dougygyro!

They’re not just slapping an addition on the Visitor’s Centre and clearing the field a bit; the Trust is putting about £7 million into completely moving the building further east off of the Government lines. We’ve known for some time that the signage and lines of demarcation presently there are inaccurate, and I’ve been mercilessly complaining to my friends about it for some time. This will all be fixed, and they need a team of people to come up with primary source documentation to find out more accurately what it looked like. Much work has recently been done on this, but there is room for more. This is where the team comes in. So what the hell am I responsible for if I get the job?

Some of you have heard of a guy called Tony Pollard. Yeah, the one from ‘Two Men in a Trench’. He’s the foremost battlefield archaeologist in Britain, and has done excavations at Culloden, Flodden, Bannockburn, Killiecrankie, and tons more. I already have his books strewn across my floor, in the process of digesting his amazing findings. And I’m going to be working with him. Our job: surveying the field and using primary source knowledge mixed with new excavations to properly demarcate the troop positions relative to the terrain.

As the NAS and NLS are in Edinburgh, they’ll need some enthusiastic young muckers to dig through tons of source material to come up with previously unpublished accounts that details the lives of ordinary soldiers on both sides (my passion and specialty) for inclusion into accurate representative accounts. I’d be working with eminent scholars Allan Macinnes and Andrew Mackillop, both of whom are already high-up on my reading lists. Our job: to write material for the Trust’s new literature and Visitor’s Centre that offers a better representation of the soldier’s experience in 1746. The project leader told me that the professors are there mostly for consultancy, while the researchers are the last word.

Not enough? Okay. They’re also looking for someone who can work with the artifacts from the field (broadswords, buttons, targes, cannonballs, bullets) to craft new displays in the museum area of the proposed Centre. Our job: to lick old swords, and to suckle small, lead balls that have been fired through bodies. And, of course, to squeal wth joy like little girls. Professionally, of course.

He said I’m extremely well-suited to this list of jobs, and my acceptance really seems to only have two considerations. One, that I make a commitment to stay in Scotland until summer of 2005. I may not have to follow through to the end; I will most likely be able to leave a few months early and do some virtual work from home. Second, I have to name my fee. He told me that while it’s part-time work, the Trust pays well for it. I have to let him know by Monday, and then the workshops start immediately.

I told some chums last night that if you came to me and asked, “Darren, what is the one thing you’d most like to do in Scotland if you could do anything in the world?”, this would absolutely be it. Before I even knew this job existed, I’d wanted to do it.

More as it comes, I just need enough cash to live on and a work permit.

And a good, stiff shot. ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Responses to “If there is a GOD…”

1. spiffington Says:
    June 11th, 2004 at 9:50 pm

I know this should really be on your first post but I'll stick it here anyway! Just to say,
    This is absolutely wonderful (like you didn't know that already!) and I am really, really proud and pleased for you.
    It sounds so exciting and absolutely what you want and need.
    Well done you ๐Ÿ™‚

June 11th, 2004 at 10:24 pm

Thanks, Spiff.
    We'll see how it goes on Monday…must wait to do the Happy Highland Coo dance until then. No sense in getting one's dreadlocks in a knot for nothing.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

3. kratkrat Says:
    June 11th, 2004 at 10:56 pm

Holy schnikies! That was definitely a jaw-dropping post. It just kept getting better and better!
    Great gig, and I certainly hope to read more about your exploits from the field WHEN you get the post. YAY!!!

June 12th, 2004 at 5:00 am

*crossing fingers, and anything else I have a pair of to cross*
    Um, right. You get the picture. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. pisica Says:
    June 11th, 2004 at 11:55 pm

As I say, check out the highly skilled migrant programme. Dunno if you'll qualify but it might be a route in if you do. The calculator is here. Otherwise there are other links on the side – I think this is a commercial site rather than the guvmnt, but maybe they can offer advice?

June 12th, 2004 at 5:01 am

Good stuff, thanks. Looks like I'm five points under, but if the Trust can vouch that they need my particular set of skills, it shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep you on the up-and-up, of course.

7. pisica Says:
    June 12th, 2004 at 12:53 am

Also check out <a href="http://www.scotlandistheplace.com.” target=”_blank”>www.scotlandistheplace.com.

June 12th, 2004 at 6:53 am

you know what <lj user="thedarkcyde"> and I think.
    we'll be thiking of you a whole lot. ๐Ÿ™‚

June 12th, 2004 at 9:01 pm

I do. And I couldn't be happier about it.
    This might only *postpone* our booty-shakin' ceremony for a few more months.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

June 13th, 2004 at 5:46 am

well, that just means i'll spend the next few months sobbing on my pillow. that is until you show up in your glittery kilt to shake a little tush my way…baby!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

June 13th, 2004 at 11:13 am

Oh, man…you don't EVEN wanna see my glittery kilt.
    Last person damn near died!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

June 13th, 2004 at 12:13 pm

oooohhh!
    that's cause they say that glittery g-string under it!

13. tallboi Says:
    June 12th, 2004 at 8:17 am

hot damn my friend. i can already picture you knee deep in much with a few said lead balls in hand grinning like an imp. i say to you, huzzah!

June 12th, 2004 at 9:03 pm

It'll be that and much more if it comes through! Thanks for the cheers…I haven't heard much on your own work these days – how's it going?

15. seide Says:
    June 12th, 2004 at 8:47 am

Yaaay! This is so exciting! Good luck!

June 12th, 2004 at 9:04 pm

Thank you, darling. I'll pee myself if it happens.
    Would you still talk to me then?

17. evilfb Says:
    June 12th, 2004 at 9:07 am

"They’re also looking for someone who can work with the artifacts from the field (broadswords, buttons, targes, cannonballs, bullets) to craft new displays in the museum area of the proposed Centre."
    You know how hot Iam for this….
    Darren you will be missed for another year, but is is so worth it. Raising a glass to you.

June 12th, 2004 at 9:10 pm

Totally, Bob! It's right up your smoothbore! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Well, it'll be extremely hard to postpone coming home, but the rewards are surely worth it. And it's only six more months.
    Just think of all stories I'll have for ya. ๐Ÿ™‚ And it'll give you more time to come out and visit…

June 12th, 2004 at 2:11 pm

Re: Gle mhath!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    It's *so* hard to type with my fingers crossed….this is what I get for not checking email for 2 days, a wonderful surprise (not that it's surprising). Of course they want you, you're made for it! Good luck breathing till Monday. I am *so* thrilled for you!!
    Kirsty

June 13th, 2004 at 4:45 am

Re: Gle mhath!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    I owe you a response to your last mail, as well…we all fall behind a bit! Thanks for your kind words and good wishes – more as it comes, of course!

21. scotis_man Says:
    June 12th, 2004 at 3:57 pm

I can't even think of words to describe how happy I am for you. Just …. DUUUUUDE!!!!

June 13th, 2004 at 4:43 am

Thanks a lot, Karsten. Gotta save the jubilation until it's in my hot little hands, however. ๐Ÿ™‚
    You can DUUUUUDE me all you want very soon, now. Heheh.

23. scotis_man Says:
    June 13th, 2004 at 12:55 pm

OK, then let me put it this way … We both have all of our finger and toes crossed for you. Better?

24. vegasjohnny Says:
    June 13th, 2004 at 3:04 am

I may have missed something. Is this a near-indefinite gig, or is there a time limit imposed by something other than funding?
    Any way it breaks out, I'm pulling for you. I suppose that new store is just going to have to wait an extra year…

June 13th, 2004 at 4:42 am

Nah, it's scheduled until next spring, and may continue on until summer of 2005 at the latest. I might be able to do the last bit from home, and I still have serious plans to do that store thing. But this just can't be passed up.
    Thank you very much for your good stuff; I should know tomorrow if I've actually got the job or not.

26. kittynitro Says:
    June 13th, 2004 at 5:38 pm

My god, how exciting! This is wonderful!! I hope you'll be home in time for the wedding? xo

June 13th, 2004 at 7:41 pm

I certainly hope so, as well. Nothing is carved in stone yet, however…

28. gingiber Says:
    June 13th, 2004 at 6:57 pm

This is amasing news. (Finally catches up on LJ ๐Ÿ™‚ )
    I am so pleased for you, and good luck today. Sitting here with everything crossed ๐Ÿ™‚

June 13th, 2004 at 7:42 pm

Thanks, L!
    I just talked to the project lead, and he's going to contact the Trust and get back to me before the end of the week…more waiting.
    ARGH! ๐Ÿ™‚

June 14th, 2004 at 4:58 am

Re: GOOD FOR YOU!!!
    YAY Darren! I wish only the best for you.
    ~(*

June 16th, 2004 at 12:47 pm

Re: GOOD FOR YOU!!!
    Cheers, darlin'.
    Xox.

32. thedarkcyde Says:
    June 14th, 2004 at 10:16 am

HAppy happy joy joy!!
    doing the pixie dance for you
    <h1>yay !!</h1>
    more enjoying scotland for you!!!!!!

June 16th, 2004 at 12:47 pm

Damn, I hope so! Two days to go…
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

34. dr_beep Says:
    June 15th, 2004 at 9:32 am

Holy crap that's exiting!

35. sharck Says:
    June 16th, 2004 at 4:39 am

Working in Scotland
    When I was going to Stirling, I could work up to 20 hours a week without a work permit, it was a new rule when I went over there in 1999. Oh yeah, this is Rachel, Jon Tait's wife, not just any old stalker.

June 16th, 2004 at 12:49 pm

Re: Working in Scotland
    Yes, as a student we may work part-time hours, but I'll only be a student until September, and the job is on until next spring or summer. I must see what they can do to help me out.
    Good to hear from you, Not Just Any Old Stalker! How you been?

37. sharck Says:
    June 17th, 2004 at 3:50 am

Re: Working in Scotland
    I'm well. Work is a stressbucket right now, but it's the clos eof the fiscal year, joyous. I'm training to run a marathon in February. That's what my LJ is all about.
    Jon is apprenticing at an Accordion Repair Shop. I kid you not. And he's learning accordion, which makes the cat happy.
    Ahhh, back to the grindstone.

June 20th, 2004 at 8:55 pm

Re: Working in Scotland
    I MUST see ol' Jon with such an instrumental beast. Seriously, give me pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I'm impressed with your running commentary (ha-ha) and wish you all the best in that regard. Do stay in touch when you find the time!