A Walk out of the World.

My incommunicado very well might proffer the opinion that I don’t care about anything else but constant research and writing, and that wouldn’t be further from the truth. I want to post here, and I have much to say, and even more to share. I just can’t find the time in the day right now…but good things lurk ahead, and with a crack of the knuckles and three more cups of tea I look down the loaded barrel of academia at the five-week mark. Less than a third of the soul-sucking, life-stealing, cerebellum shattering dissertation of doom is complete…simply because I can’t seem to tear myself away from the Archives.

And why should I? There are so many resources, documents, and STORIES; I just can’t stop ordering up bundles and manuscript collections and getting nasty looks from dour librarians furtively watching glistening strands of drool cascading from the corners of my mouth. Doesn’t this make you want to get a bit closer to me? Yes, I’m a history geek AND I salivate mercilessly.

But today I read a random document referenced from some other obscure source…had to get it ordered up from off-site and everything. I read through the letter, still folded up and seal clearly stamped, and found it was in fact a manifesto denouncing and promising revenge for the depredations of Clan Campbell during the confused jumble of tiny civil wars that made up the ‘Forty-five. As I scanned down the final page, the signatories came into view – this was a promise of revenge written by Donald Cameron of Lochiel and Alexander Mcdonnell of Keppoch, two characters whom I am extremely familiar with, and whose actual written letter I now held in my hand. Lochiel is one of the most interesting characters in the conflict, and I had never come across anything penned by him before…I just love his signature.

I think I exclaimed rather loudly, “Holeee shit!”, which didn’t endear myself to the overworked staff. But who cares, after all; I mean, it’s Lochiel! And really, it’s these discoveries that make me not want to leave the building, and want to put off my writing for just one more day.

And yet I was dragged forth, kicking and screaming on my first brief excursion to England this past weekend…there is sadly no time to post more than just a teaser right now, but be assured (and forewarned) that more are on the way.

faeriering
Old Faerie Rings bursting forth from lush undergrowth…forests of ferns and clover and secret waterfalls around every corner.

Dunstanburgh1
Crumbling crenellated castles, still noble and monolithic amidst their decay. Ghosts still in the towers and moss in fabulous patterns upon the hewn sandstone.

Spirals
And comparisons. Old and new, stoney and blue.

And if you can’t wait for me to get my picture-uploading ass in gear, then go ruin my enjoyment of having me tell you the story by going here. 🙂

More soon.

19 Responses to “A Walk out of the World.”

1. zotz Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 9:13 am

If those mushrooms are actually the fairy-ring champignon, then you missed a trick – they're apparently quite tasty.

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:03 pm

Silly me! I should have totally hit the turf and started munching.

3. spiffington Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 9:20 am

I think we can wait D, I think we can wait 🙂
    Remember it's not just *good things* that lurk ahead, but people too.

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:04 pm

People lurking make me nervous, but you are so right, of course.

5. spiffington Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 9:39 pm

Well more kinda, well, patiently waiting at the sidelines really…
    😉

6. velvetdahlia Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 9:32 am

Another magical post! I eagerly await the other.

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:06 pm

More temptation, eh? Exquisite torture, perhaps?
    I'm looking forward to hearing what transpires on the 'shifting continents' front, as well.

August 3rd, 2004 at 10:14 am

i don't know if you noticed that all of the above photos have the swirling circular motifs….you juts have to look at the mix of grass/clovers and faerie rings more carefully.
    gorgeous!

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:04 pm

I completely missed that. Good eye!

10. dichroicynosure Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 10:46 am

bibliomagica
    I too feel a special form of exhilaration from research, ordering from archives, looking into books with uncut pages, smelling the musty pages, unfolding petal thin lithographs hand pasted into the books…it is so delicate and intimate, no? That letter sounded like you struck gold, and these images are the fragments of pure fae. Is that your arm all a'swirl? Nice. Wish I had a horse to ride though that castle.

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:23 pm

Re: bibliomagica
    You said it, darlin'. A treasure trove, full of echoes of humanity…which is something that we like to hunt and find, and something that we are able to connect with, and truly care about. Truly 'delicate and intimate'. I'm so glad that you love it too. I wonder how this reflects into other areas of our lives…
    Yup, that's my atrophied little stick of an arm, looking so meek and pale against the magisterial beauty of Iron Age splendour.

12. ethereal_lad Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 1:25 pm

Hi. I'm add you because of your tastes in music (similiar to mine), your skill with writing, and the fact that a good friend of mine is moving to Edinburgh in September–another dreadlocked quasigoth!

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:17 pm

Added you back, and Hello!
    But dreadlocks do not a goth make, darn it. Regardless, I'm sure we'll enjoy each others' observations, and thanks for popping in.

August 3rd, 2004 at 6:16 pm

What are you doing posting LJ entries at five in the morning!? 😉
    … I don’t care about anything else but constant research and writing, and that wouldn’t be further from the truth.
    You do what you need to. It's why you came here, after all. Speaking of which … back to work for me too.

August 3rd, 2004 at 8:24 pm

That's five minutes after midnight, dear, and really – I was long overdue, wasn't I?
    Don't I even get a yell for good measure?
    I'd do the same for you…

August 5th, 2004 at 1:36 am

doh
    Oops, so it is. My bad!

17. kratkrat Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 10:51 pm

Per usual when it comes to your posts, I read this entry mouth agape while turning a wonderful shade of 'Envy Green.'
    Good stuff, Darren!

18. rachel_eurydice Says:
    August 3rd, 2004 at 11:22 pm

We'll forgive your drooling…though the librarians might get a little miffed about soggy manuscripts. They frown on that, ya know.
    Love the pics….the last one, wow.

19. inkbot Says:
    August 4th, 2004 at 2:09 am

you're such a damn cool geek! i'm bursting with excitement for you.