Gray in a Way.

The past few nights in Edinburgh have been meteorologically very reminiscent of San Francisco. Cool air and womb-like reverberations of sound, voice, and footsteps against great sheets of fog, hanging in the air like translucent Cool Whip just inches above the street.

I just love the fog. It keeps me comforted, and mischievous, and happy. It’s romantic, but relaxing. And the shapes of this city looming half-sheathed in mist are absolutely majestic. I’d really like to bring out my tripod one of these nights and attempt to capture some of the spiky, peaked rooftops and spires erupting keenly from the cotton wads of cumulus.

It reminds me of home, and now I’ve got two of them. I owe my friends here a huge deal for ensuring that I got out during these past few days, in between paragraphs, minor points of argument, and Mc/Macs of all different varieties. Breaks are healthy, even if they are minor, but progress is good so far and I’m still pretty much on schedule for hand-in.

Tomorrow’s another day, and another thousand words to be written. Can’t wait to get back into it, and can’t wait to get away from it for a while, and back to life once again. Like I said, I have two of them.

17 Responses to “Gray in a Way.”

1. friendsofgumby Says:
    August 7th, 2004 at 8:49 pm

That sounds wonderful.

August 8th, 2004 at 8:54 am

Just wait 'til I get those pictures sorted. 🙂
    Thanks for saying so.

3. friendsofgumby Says:
    August 8th, 2004 at 1:20 pm

4. fragiletender Says:
    August 7th, 2004 at 9:31 pm

Wasn't it just amazing yesterday. I was in Edinburgh trawling round some of the art galleries (I'm up visiting my folks this week) and about 5pm the mist just drifted in and made everything so spooky and strange. I must admit that I thought of you and wondered if you were out and about taking photos.

August 8th, 2004 at 8:55 am

Aren't you sweet? Didn't get any of the fog yet, but I have a nice collection from Northumberland to get up here one of these days very soon.
    So glad you were around to see it…and welcome back!

6. fragiletender Says:
    August 18th, 2004 at 1:03 am

Thank you, of course I'm back in rainy Bristol now but it was lovely to see the old place in all its funky festival glory.

7. lekvar Says:
    August 8th, 2004 at 8:09 am

Oh the foggy weather, the concealing mists. You are teasing the part of me that loves San Francisco!

August 8th, 2004 at 8:56 am

Teasing, nothing. I hereby decree that you get your ass back to SF immediately.
    No lip from you, either. 🙂

August 8th, 2004 at 7:58 pm

It reminds me of home, and now I’ve got two of them.
    It is just misfortune that your two homes are 5,052 miles apart.
    (Yes, I actually looked up the distance. I'm a geek, all right?)

August 9th, 2004 at 11:34 am

One of the many reasons that I love you dearly.

11. marasca Says:
    August 9th, 2004 at 11:05 am

A question, if I may
    Will you forgive me for not reading back through all of your posts, and tell me what your thesis is on?

August 9th, 2004 at 11:42 am

Re: A question, if I may
    Not at all!
    I'm writing a Master's dissertation entitled 'Like Lambs Among the Heather'. It's a collation of accounts of impressment and coercion used within the Jacobite army of 1745, and the irony of those draconian recruiting tactics in a romanticised rebellion ostensibly against foreign oppression and repressive governmental jurisdiction. It's part social/military consciousness, and partly an examination of the differences between Jacobitism and Scottish Nationalism, and also how the latter uses the former as a platform of national identity when it was not really so in the 18th century.
    You can find the proposal here if you're interested further. I wouldn't be – it's boring as hell!

13. marasca Says:
    August 9th, 2004 at 12:03 pm

Re: A question, if I may
    Not that I know anything about Jacobites or Scottish nationalism, but it sounds interesting. I didn't really expect an answer quite so succinct or for it to arrive so quickly! Isn't it some ungodly hour of the morning over there?

August 9th, 2004 at 12:07 pm

Re: A question, if I may
    But you're worth it.

15. marasca Says:
    August 9th, 2004 at 12:49 pm

Re: A question, if I may
    I suspect you're really up for some more practical reason that has to do with drinking or writing or both, but thanks. 😉

August 9th, 2004 at 9:32 pm

Re: A question, if I may
    But you're worth it.
    She is, too! <lj user = marasca> is one of the best.

August 10th, 2004 at 2:40 pm

Gray in a Way.
    Hang in there…Just think of it as the world's longest term paper. You are contributing to the sum total of human knowledge; how 'bout that?
    Admiring hugs,