Waning Days.

So today is the two-week mark. I’ve refused to fall into a wallowing lump of regret and sadness. I mean, there’s no reason to. I’m coming back, after all – too much to do, and too much yet to discern.

What I do know is that things back home won’t be what I thought they will immediately upon my return. It’s going to be a slower start than previously planned. Perhaps I should look at it as a sort of decompression, an acclamation back to the Land of the Real. There will undoubtedly be a lot of internal comparison, but I don’t expect to walk around in a lamenting daze. San Francisco is too wonderful for that, and too undeserving of such treatment. It will only be a couple weeks from then that angledge makes the journey out, and I couldn’t be more pleased to be thinking of our fun days ahead.

Occupational plans have taken a possible turn, and it will take some time to work out the kinks in the next 3-5 year mission. I’ve been offered a good number of accolades were I to stay on and pursue the PhD. The biggest of these, an opportunity to get partial funding and to work with one of my adolescent heroes, is a difficult pull to overlook. But I know I’m not quite ready yet, and there’s more to do first, in other areas on my life that need attention. What are these things, then?

Other than to shake off the transition of coming back home, the first thing I’m doing is stopping off on Haight St. to nab myself a fried calamari burrito and a fresh mango margarita. It’s been too long, and I’m not even dropping off my things first. How glorious! How wonderful! How foreign!

And then there are the seals and sea lions…I’d like to strap on the ol’ yellow trousers and muck about with our rude, fishy friends once again. Can’t wait to see the Wednesday night gang after so long. I wonder how many of them are still there? It will be lovely to pick up my little, black beast and zip through the Bay to see so many faces I’ve been so long without. I imagine there will be a lot of pints, and a lot of good conversation. A lot of catching up, in general.

And to pull the paints out once again – this, I cannot wait for. To be without them has been honestly the most difficult part of this experience. I don’t know what’s going to come out, but I can’t wait to see the colours again. I can’t wait to sit in the back of the store and see lots of old friends come in, perhaps surprised to see a familiar, raggedy head bobbing up and down to an internal beat, body hunched over the lighted table, projects splayed out in all directions.

Oh, I can’t wait for the paints.

And in the meantime, there’s a lot of faces to say goodbye to around these parts. There’s a lot of lifetime friends to temporarily separate from. And a lot of books to put down by the bedside, to be leafed through later after a wee break. But the stories are still there, just waiting to be picked up again.

Yes, there are a lot of stories yet to be told.

25 Responses to “Waning Days.”

September 28th, 2004 at 2:25 am

must be so hard to leave after such a full year. we'll be waiting…. and if you sulk too much, we'll put you right back on a plane back to where you belong (heh). hell, we might go with you!

September 28th, 2004 at 7:57 am

You know I'm going to be relying on you guys to keep me sane and present. I can't wait to see you, just the same. We are going to have some fun, fun times just ahead!

September 28th, 2004 at 9:17 am

i forsee many a wild jaunt in our immediate future.
    i'll alert <lj user="thedarkcyde">. you are not alllowed to stay home on weekends. lol. 🙂

4. marasca Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 3:07 am

The marine mammal center looks fantastic!
    What did you do with your car for the past year? I'll probably be abroad for a year… or maybe a few. I'd figured on selling mine, but I really like it and would love to have it when I get back.

September 28th, 2004 at 8:07 am

Oh, TMMC is brilliant. I've enjoyed my time there so much, and can't wait to get back. Have a couple of interesting stories here and here if you're interested…
    I had a friend who was kind enough to store my car for a year, in his garage and outside in the driveway. He really saved my bacon, because the storage cost for a year is ridiculous. If you find someone to hold on to it for you, just remember to get non-active insurance and to slap a non-op license on the car through the DMV.

6. marasca Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 12:18 pm

Sounds like a fascinating, though gory, volunteer job. I hope you don't think less of me for not clicking on the dead seal erection photo… 😉

September 28th, 2004 at 7:09 pm

Hell, *I* almost didn't click on it.
    Go on…you know you want to…

8. podle Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 4:02 am

Looking forward to kidnaping you and forcing you to look at hundreds of wedding pictures!
    Seriously, though – we're both looking forward to getting to visit with you and to getting to hear all about your adventures in person. I have a feeling Scotland will reclaim you soon enough – its Stateside's turn for bit!

September 28th, 2004 at 8:10 am

I'm your wedding-picture whore, dearie.
    Yes, you're both on the top of my list to 'get closer with' – a prime example of people who I just found before I left (though I had known John for some time), and who I very much want to know more in the coming years. It's a good thing I know where you live…

10. podle Says:
    September 29th, 2004 at 1:40 am

You know where I live?
    No you don't. You do? Really?
    (worried)

11. thistlelurid Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 4:16 am

What store? Whered you work? I was in SF from 92-99….lived at Hayes n Shrader right there
    on the other side of the pan handle….how fantastical…..I wonder how many times we passed
    on the street………..and didnt even know! :*)

12. dryad_wombat Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 5:20 am

*Pounces* – yet another! I lived in SF (well, Berkeley mostly) between '94 and '96, and am morally convinced I must have come within inches of meeting <lj user="funkyplaid"> on repeated occasions. I am now feeling all yearning for the sushi restaurant I loved on Shattuck Ave. *Wishful*

13. thistlelurid Says:
    September 29th, 2004 at 1:47 am

Ive met so many people up here in pdx that were in sf when I was….
    and some loved literally blocks away…….
    10,000 buddhas was a favorite……Ali Baba's Cave too…freakin the best baba in the world….
    Raw(which didnt last long of course) and eccho in south park………omg my stomach is
    grumblin….if I get down there we should all do a mightymighty food tour!!!

September 28th, 2004 at 8:14 am

It's entirely possible that you and I have crossed paths before. I had no idea that you were a San Freakiscan! The old store was Gamescape on Divisadero and Page, but I was actually mostly at the one across the Bridge in San Rafael.
    I guarantee I'd notice you now!
    *keeping a sharp eye out, even over here*

15. thistlelurid Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 9:45 am

crazy…..Im gunna dig thru all my old photos and see if youre in em…hehe….. :*P
    Im gunna miss you in scotlandia by months….but who knows…..maybe Ill be
    in SF at some point…..I have an uncle and cousin on alameda isle. :*D

September 28th, 2004 at 7:10 pm

Oh, I'm so disappointed we'll be missing each other – if you ever make it back to the Bay, seriously let me know!
    We always have the future…

17. thistlelurid Says:
    September 29th, 2004 at 1:43 am

…..to the future ::clink::…..unless, of course, I get this durn time machine working….. :: sinister grin ::

18. dryad_wombat Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 5:24 am

Oh you dear! What a gorgeous post. Intermediary states are so bittersweet, aren't they. But OH what a delicious time it sounds like you will have on your stateside return. Have a magical time, and do grab some sushi from Sushiko on Shattuck, so I can enjoy it via you vicariously 🙂
    Us Scotland-located types will try to keep tempting you with Scotland by sending you unashamedly misty and nostalgic postcards of castles wreathed in fog.

September 28th, 2004 at 8:19 am

Darling, there will be so much sushi in the days ahead that I am going to fart gills.
    Was that totally inappropriate? 🙂
    You know, much as I'll need my close friends back home to keep me sane and on track after ripping away from Scotland and all you amazing people, I'll also rely on you to keep the place warm for me until I get back. I'll live by your experiences over here as well as my own back home, and I'll be writing to you much more than I do at present. You're one of my beacons, and I'll hold you high upon the Rock of Rash Returns.

20. evilfb Says:
    September 28th, 2004 at 5:15 pm

HOME
    Darren, Darren , Darren…….
    Can't wait to see you! I know it will be hard to leave Scotland, but you how much we will love having you back home. Im filled with joy knowing you are returning soon.

September 28th, 2004 at 7:12 pm

Re: HOME
    Bob, you're the best. We have so much to catch up on!
    And while it will be difficult to leave, having you at home makes it that much easier.

22. evilfb Says:
    October 1st, 2004 at 1:52 pm

Re: HOME
    You really know how to woo a guy…. must get you a leg sized burrito when your back.

23. seolta Says:
    September 29th, 2004 at 1:04 am

Sad that our adventures here have come to a halt for a while, but be sure i intend to live SF vicariously through you instead 🙂
    Remember… i will want ALL the details….

September 29th, 2004 at 1:32 am

And I promise that you'll be getting them…
    …until you make it over to see for yourself, that is.

September 29th, 2004 at 6:05 am

California here I come …
    I'll be there before you know it, dear.