Bad Endings.

Half of the terror is based in concern for what will happen to this country in the near future, both from within and from without. To watch our loss of credibility to the rest of the world, and to bear the burden of the shame and depression that already permeate the West Coast, and that will eventually spread to the rest of the nation. And it will spread.

The other half of the terror is knowing that our decisions are represented by a majority of people that fail to grasp the gravity of our situation, and that were actually duped by mass media, broken rhetoric, and evil, malicious lies, deception, and greed of an infantile, cancerous group of wrinkled, raisins of men that claim they know what is important in this world. And that our country believes it.

Neither is worse, but together they form a black, heavy weight that will sit upon our shoulders and keep us behind in so many ways. This is especially terrible because there is so much incredible potential for us to rocket forward, and to point the way. That is forgotten again, and for some time yet.

The terror is here, not there. It is here, within, but not as they would have us think.

22 Responses to “Bad Endings.”

1. melismaticdrill Says:
    November 2nd, 2004 at 4:25 pm

I resoundingly agree with you..
    It really is astounding how much misinformation has permeated middle america, and how much people feed into it..
    I read something today which stated that 7 percent of americans placed a candidate's religious faith as the most important factor in their decision. I've been fumbling around for hours trying to put my mind around this.
    RIP America: 1776-2004?

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:08 am

Misinformation is clearly the key, and mixed with noneducation and too much comfort, this election has proven that Americans have much to be accountable for – within, as much as without.
    But there's no way that this administration will even *look* at what's happening here, where we need it so very badly. That's not the goal, nor the prize, nor the plan.
    Thanks for commenting here; I've enjoyed your writings and intelligence in your own journal.

3. rachel_eurydice Says:
    November 2nd, 2004 at 5:02 pm

Beautifully put.
    I was sitting out on the porch earlier, after hearing Ohio projected for Bush. I realized why he won–he hits so many issues where people feel fear. They vote for him because he says he can protect them from something.
    I made a decision not to be afraid of the next four years, no matter what…I've avoided the cult of fear thus far, I refuse to become just another panicking American.
    *cheers*

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:17 am

Good for you. Don't be afraid if you can shatter it within you. I think that's great, and support it wholeheartedly.
    We know that we won't fall prey to believing that rhetoric of 'being protected', because we know that we're not. And moreso, our boys and girls on the other side of the world, being used as tools of empire, are not. It stuns me to know that people here at home are willing to let others' lives be taken so readily to ensure their own protection. As if it will really help. But at least we won't fall into the climate of fear from outside, no matter how badly they want us to.

5. original_aj Says:
    November 2nd, 2004 at 6:42 pm

My sympathy. It's pretty depressing viewing from over here too.
    I'm trying to remember where I read it, but recently I came across a very believable theory that since people no longer believe that politicians will make anything better, politicians stopped promising that and have changed to creating fears that they promise to protect peopls from. It worked for the church after all.
    Should we be preparing ourselves for an influx of refugees?

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:21 am

This doesn't surprise me, but it is very interesting, and seems solidly true.
    I imagine there'll be thousands planning to depart for fairer shores, but few will actually do so because they're nice and comfy where they are. Going expat makes us traitors and pansies, but staying put makes us subject to manipulative government and threats from the outside. This strange dichotomy is clearly not just present in America, though.

7. original_aj Says:
    November 3rd, 2004 at 4:38 am

Trouble is, I suspect that the people who will lose out most are the ones who can't actually afford to leave anyway. Those who do leave will mostly be middle-class liberals I expect. And you're right, that dichotomy is not restricted to the US. Oh well, time will tell and all that. I think I need to have a drink tonight!

8. seolta Says:
    November 2nd, 2004 at 6:59 pm

We share the black heavy weight with you, not just because our dearest are right there in the thick of it or because whatever happens in the US has implications worldwide, but because we too mourn for the loss of potential.
    Still, it's a slim chance but the fat lady hasnt sung yet… we wait with baited breath and think of you.

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:24 am

Thanks very much for your thoughts. We're still alive, and still wealthy and strong and capable. And some of us are very, very happy regardless of the political climate.
    But our momentum will dig us deeper into ugly, muddy fieldworks. Let's hope we don't get bogged down, nor carry others in the world into the mud with us.

10. femmemystique Says:
    November 2nd, 2004 at 9:23 pm

The last power trip for the old order before they are unceremoniously ushered out of the White House forever (eg as minorities are becoming majorities)?

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:26 am

Let's hope so.
    I don't trust minorities to become majorities anymore, sadly. I trust people to stay static if they're being petted and cooed and fed with what they want to hear.
    But let's hope so.

12. avalokita Says:
    November 2nd, 2004 at 9:47 pm

If only the public listened to the media. So many reporters wanted us to think Kerry had a shot. The south and west religious zealots that make up most of this country have condemned us.

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:29 am

I think people *do* listen to the media, and that the media overwhelmingly assisted the Bush campaign by painting Kerry as a useless monkey.
    Take a look at that map and see all the red throughout the country. Not just in the south and west, but all over. Not just because of religion but because of fear, and comfort, and complacency, and…who knows what the hell else that we're not even seeing.
    But the map is a sea of red, and that isn't because of his good looks.

14. chaosvizier Says:
    November 3rd, 2004 at 12:03 am

Shame and terror are for the weak.
    Why should any American feel shame? Although the actions of the government may not be completely in accord with what you or I or other persons would like to see, that does not translate into you or I or others personally taking part in those actions. For persons to look at an American and think bigoted thoughts as if that person was responsible for the actions of their government is ignorance, plain and simple. It would be like you looking at your average Chinese person and thinking "How many Falun Dafas have you killed today?"
    Don't feel shame. Stand up and be proud that you are intelligent enough not to have been swayed by, as you put it, "mass media, broken rhetoric, and evil, malicious lies, deception, and greed of an infantile, cancerous group of wrinkled, raisins of men that claim they know what is important in this world." Stand up and be proud that you are a citizen here, where you have a right to choose, even if the final choice may not have been the best choice. We could have had a Hitler, after all.
    Don't spread terror. Spread hope.

November 3rd, 2004 at 1:03 am

Re: Shame and terror are for the weak.
    I am honest here in saying that I feel shame, and I've clearly explained the reasons why.
    I am ashamed for our administration as much as I am for any of the travesties of history that I've read about in countless books, in any country, state, or empire around the world and through time. The difference is that I am alive and present for this one. It stems from simple human empathy for those long-suffering, and for the others who tried their best to effect change in a broken, sickly system that not only represents all the people within – and you know it does, in this era of nationalist/regionalist suppositions – but also that has the greatest effect on the world and its direction. The influence is obviously there, but it's going in a terrible and dire direction.
    I *am* proud that I wasn't duped, and I realize the importance of being strong and tall in the face of this. Millions of people nation-wide share this sentiment, but hundreds of thousands are voicing their fears and sadness and interest in leaving this country. I don't think 'America sucks', 'we should revolt', or 'fuck this place', but I mourn for what could have been.
    When I think about the confidence, excitement, and optimism of an opposition victory that never came – and the changes that could have been implemented – I can't help but express myself and the emotions I have broiling through me.
    Regardless, thank you sincerely for your input.

November 3rd, 2004 at 6:42 am

A Campaign Against Oppostion of U.S. Domination
    "Don't be fooled, not all fascism looks like Adolf Hitler," Barry.
    http://www.knife-party.net/flash/barry.html (it may take a while to load, but it explains everything.)

17. occular Says:
    November 3rd, 2004 at 10:12 am

yeah
    thanks for that eloquent entry funky man…
    I truly empathise with you and what you're feeling.
    I've been reading discussions on the internet about the election victory and it stuns me just how insular a lot of americans are… they are either truly lacking in insight about how the world views them, or they just don't care (which is what some of them claim).
    Anonymous – thanks for that link to the knife party movie, it's very well done. I was familiar with the project for the sinister new american century and it was interesting to see it mentioned in that movie.

November 5th, 2004 at 2:21 am

Re: yeah
    I think it's a comfort thing, 'Lex. Many Americans have no reason to change the status quo, and so they don't. There's no real pressure or financial strain on the majority of citizens, and the current admin plays to the established method of ensuring that we consume while the top levels take care of the messy stuff, as long as it's not happening right here in front of us. We can always turn the TV off and walk away.
    And that's really okay with most people. Coupled with fear-mongering and conservative religious and nationalist values, it's little wonder that he won. It makes us all sad out here in Crazyfornia, and I really appreciate your thoughts and empathy. But now we have to hope for the best, and hope that he doesn't make it the full term, and neither do his cronies.
    But I hope all is well with you.

19. catness Says:
    November 3rd, 2004 at 11:00 am

That.
    You have articulated perfectly what I couldn't communicate to my 20 year old partner this morning when he found me with my head down on the hood of my truck, unable to focus on my job.

November 5th, 2004 at 2:13 am

I sincerely hope the engine wasn't running.
    It's a rough one, to be sure, but we're not done. The sky hasn't fallen and this might very well be the last administration those bastards see for some time.
    We can only hope.

21. annabel_ Says:
    November 3rd, 2004 at 12:44 pm

huh-uh, I somehow can not believe the election result ( is it sure yet? our media says it will take a week at least to be completely sure on who won…? in Finnish media there is also a lot stuff on how the whole election was such a mess [somewhere it said that 58000 voting tickets got lost in mail, and that there were other stuff like that too happening and that some people were even threathened to not vote] ).

November 5th, 2004 at 2:15 am

Undoubtedly by now we are sure of the result, especially with Kerry's concession. There weren't enough provisional ballots to carry him through, even if they had been all for his party.
    So we go on, and hope for the best until the Wrinkled Men are out of office, or ousted out of office.