A Day Off.

And the first one in some time. With a gajillion projects lined up at work and one day off a week until X-mas, there really has been no transitionary period to get used to, but I am really the proverbial pig in shit, and loving the process of making money again, and being independent. I enjoy the reverse commute over the Bay and through the fog…it gives me time to gear up (before) and wind down (after) being accosted by armchair generals and entitled suburbanites, and there’s nothing like coming back into the city after a day spent away from it. The best of both worlds, I think, and only $5 to get back in!

While I’ve been working full days and only paying myself for partial ones, it does feel nice to take a day to catch up on other things, as well. I should be settled into a new home by the 1st of December, which will allow some time for angledge, evilfb, and I to scour the blasted streets, looking for a ramshackle abode to conjure dirty plans and schemes. The Panhandle and Western Addition are delightful neighborhoods that I’ve been frequenting of late, and The World seems to be cruising through them on its way to other activities. I had never known how many friends and acquaintances live in this area, and I often see familiar faces down the way or across the block. Comforting, lovely.

The election is over and we’re not dead yet. Life continues on and we can hope that things get better with a little prodding, but solving our own issues at home becomes priority and it’s back to a stable life once again. Work, friends, capitalism, luxuries. It’s easy to get drawn in and be a normal Westerner again. This is a great place to be, even in the midst of terrible political troubles, and I feel very lucky to be enjoying it. All my energies are going back into something, and it’s a much-needed outlet for idle creativity stored up over a year. I feel immensely powerful and even more optimistic.

I want to cram interesting thoughts, juicy tidbits, and revelatory splendor into every post. But this one will have to suffice for now. Hey, it could be worse…

Two things that strike me. *ouch*

1) So ultra-pompous Colin Farrell gets the ousted-Bond-tip from Pierce Brosnan to take over the mantle of the Man. Why?

Because they’re both Irish, obviously. Now, Pierce had the coolness and the image, but that boy was too skinny to be a believable Bond. I mean, *I* can take him, and here he is flipping Communist Villains and Evil-Doers every-which-way-but-loose. SO NOT INTIMIDATING. MI6 would have said, “Uh, sorry, dood. You have to be able to carry the girl to bed that you want to thump.”

And there’s a whole bunch of other guys that are being considered, most of whom are only on the list because they’re good looking and well-groomed. But our international icon of slickness needs a bit more. And when kittynitro suggested that Ol’ Clive Owen was a perfect match, I heartily agreed. And now if he doesn’t get the job, I’ll be sorely distressed. Not because I’m a huge Bond fan – I’m not. I’m just saying, is all.

Croupier
I mean, COME ON!

2) The biggest row in Scotland presently seems to be the deployment of the Black Watch under U.S. command in Falluja. After days of protest and helplessness from Scottish citizens and families of the soldiers, Blair couldn’t keep them out and off they trundled to Command Post Dogwood. The boys didn’t make a peep of complaint. But now they’re dying, and the country is watching their own little body-count slowly rise. They’ve lost four already, and there are only 850 in the regiment. And they just got there.

On the BBC this evening, some commentators were speaking about the traditional headdress worn by soldiers in the Watch. There have been some been some arguments that perhaps outfitting the boys with KEVLAR HELMETS might be a good idea for their own safety, but then that would undermine the pageantry of tradition of the regiment, and thereby fail to arouse the gasps of wonder and joy from local Iraqis who see the cloth-and-feather tams worn in battle – a direct affront to the ‘Hearts and Minds Campaign’. And they have no tanks. Not a one.

WTF? That campaign was a failure from the start. Why are the officers being pressured by non-combatant politicians who still decide upon flawed military doctrine? Now we lose hearts and minds on our side every day. I’ve never seen a red hackle stop a bullet.

Coffin
And how many Saltire-draped caskets will come back now? And why?

We’ve all asked these questions before, and none are the wiser for answers. But all is okay here on the homefront, really. So let’s keep it going with our own lives, then, but let’s not forget our troops over there – U.S., British, or Allied – and let’s not forget what they’re sacrificing for no good reason.

10 Responses to “A Day Off.”

1. spiffington Says:
    November 9th, 2004 at 8:00 am

It's been that way for a while though, just think of WW1 and the British troops going at folk stick and whistle. Protection has always been a key concern of ours…
    On the plus side, at least they will die cool. I quite like the berrets, especially all cocked to one side and stuff. They just need a stick with ribbons on to twirl and they're in business. The most dangerous majourettes tour, ever!
    Synical, moi?
    Nope not a chance 😉

2. psymbiotic Says:
    November 9th, 2004 at 8:01 am

From what my sources tell me, Clive Owen (whom, BTW, I think would make a great Bond) is *not* going to be the next 007. Wh *is*, however, is still up to much speculations and debate. :>
    You've seen all the BMW comercials with him in them, right? :>
    Egan >:>

November 9th, 2004 at 8:19 am

Well, Mr. Secret Service Source Master, why don't you tell your sources to stick a stick in it and do some Clive-hiring?
    Haven't seen the commercials yet; only stills from them. We can still hope, just like with Kerry.

4. psymbiotic Says:
    November 9th, 2004 at 9:03 am

The BMW commercials are pretty old by now, but they're on-line if you want to down load them. They're really well made BTW. :>
    Here's a link to that. :>
    Egan >:>

November 9th, 2004 at 4:13 pm

Black Watch
    And to add to the poignancy of this deployment, here's news I got from a Scottish-American friend, who posted the following link:
    "Black Watch: The betrayal of a regiment
    THE Black Watch yesterday began the move north towards Baghdad that will take them into one of the most dangerous areas of Iraq, uncertain of whether those who make it home will still have a regiment to call their own…."
    I thought this regiment was the oldest surviving one in the British Army?! That's *my* WTF?? Bad enough when history is destroyed by accident; why jettison it yourself??
    Grrr, vicariously,
    Kirsty

6. darkstones Says:
    November 9th, 2004 at 7:09 pm

Re: Black Watch
    That's pretty much the crux of the argument. The main resentment is not so much that it's a dangerous operation, more that it's (a) a political move, announced before the US election to show that Blair is still supporting Bush (b) a kick in the teeth – we need you just now, but we won't promise to disband you when the job is done.
    Nicholas Soames, the shadow defence spokesman, was on TV a couple of nights ago. Oddly enough for an opposition MP, he was stressing that the operations in Iraq were being decided by the military themselves, rather than the UK government.

November 14th, 2004 at 1:39 am

Re: Black Watch
    I'll bet dollars to donuts that while the tactical elements of UK military operations are fashioned by the regimental commanders, they're still very much in the pocket of the politicos regarding their deployment zones and as you've said, their symbolic assistance of the US assault in Falluja. I refuse to believe that the helmet issue is a local one, however. I know the British military is addicted to tradition, but to disregard the safety of their soldiers for it? Are the commanders that brainwashed?

8. kittynitro Says:
    November 10th, 2004 at 4:22 pm

Right, Jacko. I called this after seeing "Croupier" twelve times in the theatre. (I'm a dork like that.) But then nasty stories like these
    make the situation look unlikely. But what are these BMW commercials? I don't know about this.

9. kittynitro Says:
    November 10th, 2004 at 4:24 pm

PS "We can still hope, just like with Kerry."
    Unlike that hope, I am NOT spending futile hours of my time calling casting agents in Ohio and Iowa, reminding them to get out and "vote Owen."

November 14th, 2004 at 1:41 am

You're sharp. And not just in the head.
    I would really like to see Hodges other one, 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead". Perhaps a film night is in order, then? That is, if I ever get to see you again…
    *busybusy*