Invitations.

Some of my extra time has been lately going into assisting PooP with an art show at the local tattoo and piercing shop. Seems I’d been appropriated as an ersatz think-tank and graphic designer for the soiree. In return, I have received numerous meals, and often-overflowing glasses of wine and whisky, and not a few minor headaches. Though we’re on a tight schedule and the whole thing has been rushed from the start, I’m proud of her for motivating the entire body of the shop to get this thing together, and people seem to be quite warm to the idea. After the talent to be displayed was daily assembled, we sat down to attempt to lure people in with fancy paper and swirly fonts, and below is what I came up with.

I spent a good week bouncing from stationer to stationer looking for the right style for the invites, and we settled on a particularly lovely grey linen paper with darker matching envelopes. A separate stack of parchment invitations, sealed with translucent purple wax was handed out in person to local tattoo and piercing shops throughout the Bay Area.

I couldn’t resist giving it a little personal touch on the wax seal.

WaxSeal1

WaxSeal2

I think it’s a great idea, and it’s exactly the type of community interaction I’ve wanted to cultivate at the game store, sans public flesh-hook suspensions. Considering the demographics and progressiveness of the Bay Area, I’m surprised at our lack of community and blending of cultures. I wish her luck on this venture, and hopefully this will be a good start and a pattern for future events.

If you can read this, you’re warmly invited.

InviteSmall

37 Responses to “Invitations.”

1. spiffington Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 2:38 am

Wow D, I really like all of it! I love how the seal and the curl of the 'Y' at the beginning match up.
    Wonderful stuff, wish I *could* come…
    Pass on my best that all goes very well.
    Nice to see your adding your touch to different things 🙂

November 28th, 2004 at 1:06 am

Heh. You know that I couldn't miss out on a spiral to save my own life…
    Glad you like it, and of course I'll pass on your good wishes. Thanks!

3. ubernacht Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 3:16 am

niiiiiice. Looks pretty bachanal…sorry I might be in town that weekend, so maybe I'll get to check it.
    good job!

November 28th, 2004 at 1:07 am

Can't think of another person we'd rather see there. I know you'll *really* like the show – it's right up your alley.

5. pisica Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 3:22 am

I dunno – if you get the gamers interested in that, they might stop telling you about their characters….

November 28th, 2004 at 1:07 am

How in the Lord's name will we ever get a 700-lb. gamer up on those hooks?

7. rachel_eurydice Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 5:15 am

Wow, nice! I love the wax seal touch.
    I'd show up for the free cocktails if it didn't involve a cross-country drive. 🙂

November 28th, 2004 at 1:09 am

I think it would be amazing to see you pop through the doors. I'd totally freak!
    There's Rachel! No, I've never met her before…but I love her just the same, and know all the juicy details of her life, regardless!

9. shawree Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 5:41 am

Nice. I hope you're gonna take pictures and post some up here!

November 28th, 2004 at 1:09 am

I think I'll be doing just that.
    Stay tuned!

11. siphet Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 5:52 am

excellent!!!
    i heard about this, but didn't get any details. should be able to mqke it

November 28th, 2004 at 1:10 am

I would expect nothing less. And it will be *really* good to see you again.

13. seolta Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 5:57 am

Ah shit, you know i would if i could… You must paint me a verbal picture and tell me all the stories after tho!

November 28th, 2004 at 1:10 am

Of course! It'll be a very interesting experience. Wish you could see it first-hand.

15. velvetdahlia Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 5:57 am

Nice work! Where'd you find the fonts? Wish I could be there.

November 28th, 2004 at 1:12 am

Thanks! I have an enormous collection of fonts on my Mac; never know when they'll come in handy. I think I have a font problem, actually, as I can't seem to stop installing them.
    Help me.

17. thistlelurid Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 6:04 am

oh you MUST post photos of the art…Im dying to see
    what was hanging on the walls!!!! Im in love with
    those illustrations……..cloven hooves ……mmmmmm.

November 28th, 2004 at 2:24 am

You *could* show up, you know. 🙂
    Yes, if the artists don't mind, I'll get some shots of their work. And certainly of the event, no matter. Maybe we'll throw together a website just afterward.
    Oh, and there will probably be some people hanging on the walls, as well.
    Heheh.

19. annabel_ Says:
    November 27th, 2004 at 6:54 am

ohh, I wish I wouldn´t live so far away! 🙂
    and I´m really liking the visuals of the invitations; somehow all of the visuals, the wax seal and everything seems to add a special personal touch in them – so I guess everyone who has got an invitation will consiously and subconsiously think they are appreciated and warmly wished to come to the event because of that way how the invitation stand out to be some what personal :).
    If you have invitations so fine, then you will have event even better!

November 28th, 2004 at 2:30 am

So glad you like it. I do hope the special invites went over well – it seems they were well-received and people are excited about it.
    Wish you could attend!

November 27th, 2004 at 3:48 pm

i can show up between 5 and 6 ish. after 6, i have to pick up a monkey…. it's probably NOT ok to bring her, right?
    specially if they are doing suspensions. 😛

November 28th, 2004 at 2:25 am

Probably okay, but it will certainly be an intense visual montage. Might want to consider that. Can't wait to see you!

November 28th, 2004 at 4:28 am

ok so, i'll be by early by myself, check out if it's appropriate to bring the kidmonkey. if so, i can stop by again after i pick her up. what time are you planning to do the meat hook art fest?
    i'll bring you a lil somehing too!

November 28th, 2004 at 5:26 pm

Not sure of the schedule. After all, guess who is running it?
    Can't wait to see you there…and before! When do I get to give you a private tour of the chateau?

November 29th, 2004 at 10:36 am

w00t
    When do I get to give you a private tour of the chateau?
    i'm around this weekend. i'll bring goodies! 🙂

November 27th, 2004 at 3:49 pm

btw, i hear you'll be my neighbor soon!

November 28th, 2004 at 2:26 am

You know it, baby! How exciting!

28. podle Says:
    November 28th, 2004 at 3:59 am

Wow – the invitations are gorgeous. Probably will not be able to make it (mostly due to extreme shyness) but I'm sure it will be wonderful.

November 28th, 2004 at 5:22 pm

You know, most of these people don't bite!
    I think you'd have a lovely time if you change your mind. I could talk you through it if you like.

30. larylich Says:
    November 28th, 2004 at 4:25 am

I'll see if I can sneak by before work that night.

November 28th, 2004 at 5:24 pm

If you sneak, you'll probably be captured and eviscerated, so I would recommend coming in through the front door, like everyone else.

32. larylich Says:
    November 29th, 2004 at 10:50 pm

Well, that sounds fair.

33. sleepycinderell Says:
    November 29th, 2004 at 5:31 am

That is a fantastic idea. If it happens in Eburgh I'm in. Didn't have a summer of insomnia tatooing my entire bedroom for nowt – would love to make it public!
    I wish I'd known your talents could be harnessed in such a way while you were here : (
    Mo
    x

November 29th, 2004 at 6:09 pm

I deeply regret we didn't spend more time together, Mo – but our time isn't up for good. There's more to do, I think.
    Your tattoo art would be just perfect for this show!

35. sharck Says:
    November 30th, 2004 at 1:58 am

If kilts and corsets are acceptable I'll see if the Jonnay would like to attend, although after a day of Dickens we might be too tired for anything.

November 30th, 2004 at 4:55 pm

Hey – whatever you guys can do. I'd like to see you both soon, regardless…

37. parnasus Says:
    December 12th, 2004 at 2:10 pm

I hope things are going/went, well….
    When I first read the invitation I thought it would be really great to head out for, but that was weeks ago, and the weekend filled up pretty quickly between ceremony, out of town guests, and a reading of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" by some of my favorite people.
    I have had a fabulous weekend, but do regret not finding time, or perhaps energy, to attend. I am looking forward to the photos and a report soon. And perhaps another chance for meeting in person will will pop up sometime.
    Hope your evening is fantasmic!!
    ~Janise