Ideal.

Saturday evening was a short block of time where everything just happened to go right. Sometimes, the velocity of life takes wee lull and one can sit with the things deemed important and sedating.

After a long day of pushing WWII miniatures to unwitting customers, I returned home to dear angledge destroying the kitchen in a fervent fit of culinary ardor. I’d had this recipe of sorts locked away in my file cabinet for years, from back when Details magazine was actually a good read. When was that, 1991? When cleaning the cabinet out the other day, I slyly handed off this recipe to my appliance-loving housemate in hopes that she might be inclined to give it a whirl, and by 8pm that night, we were all slaves to her comestible efforts.

The dish: spicy turkey and pork meatballs with chile flakes, on a delicate bed of bacon bits and stewed greens, topped with a provocative sauce of caramelized onions and plump tomatoes. She even brought the wine, which was a lovely Merlot that accentuated the highs within this three-meat medley with its sweet, fruity palate. Gathered around our steaming plates of love, evilfb, matt_ledgerwood, and I fell into a protein and carbohydrate delight while Floyd Mayweather Jr., perhaps the best pound-for-pound boxer in the sport today, put on an eight-round clinic that left our mouths agape. He’s virtually perfect, the complete fighter, and an absolute pleasure to watch.

After unknown Puerto Ricans were bludgeoned into submission, we then lit a crackling fire of madrone, oak, and almond, and sat contentedly digesting while being barraged by multiple episodes of Band of Brothers – HBO, Spielberg, and Hanks’ biopic about E Company, 506th PIR. Two bottles of wine, a shattered plate, and much intestinal rejoicing later, I zoned out in front of the hearth with a few books on tanks of the Second World War whilst we all collected our thoughts from such an immersive and hedonistic span of time.

Anyone who knows me would say, for me, that this was the perfect night.

To make it complete, all I needed was a hand-job under the table, but we don’t swing like that here at le Chateau.

10 Responses to “Ideal.”

1. psymbiotic Says:
    January 24th, 2005 at 10:49 am

Yummy!
    Would you mind sharing the recipe for that spicy turkey and pork meatballs dish you mentioend? That sounds good! 😀
    Egan >:>

January 24th, 2005 at 11:47 am

Re: Yummy!
    It was really tasty. I'll try to remember to type in the recipe.

3. psymbiotic Says:
    January 24th, 2005 at 7:12 pm

Re: Yummy!
    That would be awesome! Thank you. :>
    Egan >:>

January 27th, 2005 at 7:28 pm

Recipes
    I posted them below. Enjoy!

January 24th, 2005 at 11:36 am

we still up for this evening? i can't promise a hand job nor or a boxing demo. wait… i think someoneimg/know can demo the boxing. lol!

6. podle Says:
    January 24th, 2005 at 12:25 pm

Man, that does sound just about perfect. Good food; good company; Band of Brothers (which absolutely bowled me over – I can't say enough about how good that show was and how strongly it affected me); and a nap in front of a fire. I *love* falling asleep in front of fires. Used to do it all the time at home during the winter.
    Yeah…I thought so.

January 25th, 2005 at 10:35 am

"Would it be bad form to come over and just fall in sleep in front of your fireplace?
    Not if you do it with tanks, as is the norm around these here parts.
    Tanks are good.

8. podle Says:
    January 25th, 2005 at 11:42 am

Wow – I briefly had this completely out of context in my head and was thus imagining myself lying on your floor while wearing a wetsuit and diving tanks.
    Surreal are us today, I guess.

January 25th, 2005 at 8:24 pm

Great Balls of Fire (all 3 recipes)
    Polpette di Tacchino (turkey meatballs)
    5 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
    1/2 bunch fresh mint
    Escarole
    3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium-sized red onion sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
    3 heads of fresh escarole, well-washed & stemmed
    sea salt & black pepper
    Preheat over to 450 degrees. For meatballs, combine garlic, rosemary, chili flakes, salt, pepper, & crumbs until mixed. Add milk. In a separate bowl, knead meats together. Add herb mixture to meat. Shape 10 meatballs and place on baking sheet in oven for 25 minutes. Turn with a fork until evenly browned. Meanwhile, lightly fry soffritto ingredients together in 1/4 cup of oil until onions are slightly transparent. Add tomato, wine, & 2 cups of water. Bring to boil & season to taste.
    Transfer meatballs to ovenproof pot. Lower oven to 300 degrees. Pour sauce over meatballs. Cover the pot with plastic wrap, then tightly with foil. Secure around edges (I used twine). Bring to boil on stove & place in oven when foil puffs. Cook for 30 minutes.
    To make escarole, heat oil in large pot. Lightly fry onion. Add greens & 1/4 cup of water. Cover & let sweat for 15 minutes (I don't know what the recipe author meant by "sweat", so I just steamed it lightly until the escarole wilted down). Season to taste.
    Place meatballs atop escarole. Reduce remaining sauce in pan to desired consistency, finishing it with 1/4 cup on olive oil (I didn't add this oil). Season to taste with salt & pepper. Spoon sauce over meatballs & escarole, top with chopped fresh mint, & serve.

10. alison_ella Says:
    January 26th, 2005 at 7:37 am

it does indeed sound like the perfect evening, apart from the missing hand-job (or lap dance heehee)