Furry Returns.

It has been a number of months since I’ve been back, and I really couldn’t put off the Question of the Kitty any longer. The past few times I’ve gone to see him at my former neighbor’s apartment have been less than inspiring, as he clearly let it be known to both of us that 1) he has completely forgotten me and all the lovely time we spent together, or 2) he’s pissed that I abandoned him and he will bite my testicles given the briefest of opportunities.

Dear Carrie was as sweet as anything to take the Torgster on for a year, and he’s certainly been happy, healthy, and safe within her arms. After being without him for so long, the bigger question wasn’t whether I wanted him back, but rather *should* I be taking him back? Torgi was just a wee spud when I got him, quivering in a damp cardboard box on a winter’s night. We’ve been through a lot, as any pet owner does with his charge; of course our connection is splendid and powerful. I raised him to be a kinder, far more handsome version of myself, and he’s always been the talk of the town and a favorite with all the girls.

Come to think of it, I’m a bit jealous of him.

But as happy as I knew he was across the bridge in Marin, I really missed my little Shit-Monkey. So we tried to schedule a few visits before the Collection was planned, but Torgi was having none of it. For a mild-mannered cat with not a hostile piece of cartilage in his body, his defensive hissing and swatting was a frightening sight to behold, and his constant shying away from me and mistrustful glare were disheartening, to say the least.

To put if off any longer would have been torture for all of us, so last Friday I dropped by after work, and amidst a furious fistful of fur and fear, Carrie and I stuffed the unhappy feline in question into the carrier that he hates with every passion in the world. He was so scared that he peed all over the place, and though there was no genuine malice in his actions, there were a few lines of red carved into hapless but helpful arms for their troubles.

A short trip across the Bay later, the yowling, self-pityin’ kitten was brought to le Chateau and was safely exposed to the two back rooms, connected to the rest of the house by the Forbidden Rampart. He staggered out of his ersatz prison with some difficulty and shook himself off, before gingerly sniffing around as most discombobulated cats do. He then promptly lodged himself beneath one of my bookshelves, where he could survey his new domain with relative security.

It took an entire night for him to come out, but by the wee hours he was head-butting me like old times, trespasses and abandonment issues well-forgiven for now. He’s still not eating properly, and there are times where he yowls for Carrie in the night, but he’s been purring a great deal lately and kneading my flesh into lovely ribbons during the evenings. Ah, the Olde Tymes beckon! He’s refused to leave the back rooms until recently, continually glancing back at the doorway with twinkling eyes full of skepticism, but after two safe days amidst familiar smells and surroundings, we opened up the adjoining door to give him free reign of the rest of the place, to be explored at his own leisure.

FatCat2
Body language would suggest that he’s still not quite sure what to make of the cavernous hall.

I wasn’t sure how long the memory of cats lasts. I’ve heard weeks to months to a lifetime. What is definite is that Torgi now remembers me well, even after such a long absence. My fears have been settled, and soon his will be, as well. Though he has some quaint personality traits that are new to me due to his extended time with Carrie, he’s still the same little wonder that I picked up six years ago. A bit fatter in the gut, maybe, but before too long, he’ll have explored the vast expanses of the house and will play himself into a fit state, missing his absentee keeper with great veracity but happy to be in a loving new home with loving old friends and family.

The boy is back in town, ladies. Come on over and get your lovin’.

FatCat

38 Responses to “Furry Returns.”

1. marasca Says:
    February 1st, 2005 at 8:48 pm

Kitty!!
    He's so cute! Glad to hear he's settling in.
    I'm pretty sure cats have good long memories. Even when I was in college visiting home only every few months, the most skittish of my parents cats still remembered me and settled into old habits immediately.

February 2nd, 2005 at 9:40 pm

Oh, he's had his eye on you for some time.

3. lilmissnever Says:
    February 1st, 2005 at 11:16 pm

This is why I cannot study abroad. I would miss my cats.

February 2nd, 2005 at 9:41 pm

Stick 'em in your trousers.
    They don't check at customs. Honest.

5. seolta Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 2:55 am

Can't wait to meet that handsome fellow!!!! Be sure you keep him happy and healthy til… well, maybe, the summer!
    And don't you be stealing any of his ladies now, they are there to see HIM 😉

February 2nd, 2005 at 9:42 pm

Like my chances could get any less? Now that I know he's the cause of it all…
    BACK TO CARRIE'S!

7. mxhaunted Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 3:41 am

He is indeed a handsome cat.

February 2nd, 2005 at 9:42 pm

Oh, yes. And you haven't even seen his backside.

9. shawree Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 6:26 am

Cats, eh? Gotta love them. Guinness turns into "The Slasher" when it comes to going into a carrier, it's not pretty.
    I'd say cats have pretty good memories as my little Jeannie (who is now an old lady of nearly 17 years) still happily abandons everyone else when I make a rare appearance at my parents' house. Not that I'm in any way feeling smug about this. :))

February 2nd, 2005 at 9:47 pm

Hehe. They have instinctual avoidances of carriers, I think.
    'The Slasher', indeed.

11. alison_ella Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 8:35 am

your handsome too
    What a beautiful cat, but I'm sure he is a tad jealous of you at times. Hehe. 🙂 XX

February 2nd, 2005 at 11:41 pm

Re: your handsome too
    You're a sweetie. His whiskers are where it's at, though. Just you wait.
    😉

13. thistlelurid Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 10:18 am

aaahhh… sweet sweet widdle putty taaat…..
    the "gateway drug" to parenthood ya know, pets! :*P
    Poor red eyed sleepless darren!

February 2nd, 2005 at 11:42 pm

Yeah, I take back everything I said about him. I'm over it.
    Well, thanks to <lj user="angledge">, who is currently tiring out the little spud with plenty of loving', MAYBE I'll actually get some sleep tonight.
    Maybe.

February 3rd, 2005 at 4:44 pm

It worked! He will be even more tired this evening, since I've been racing him around le Chateau all day.

16. lady_in_satin Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 10:35 am

You are a good person.
    Once, this guy was going to put his cat to sleep because he was moving to NY. I took the cat to keep it from getting snuffed. I am alergic to cats, but I didn't want to kill a perfectly good cat. So, anyway, the guy said he'd send for him in about 6 months and I even offered to fly the cat out there! He never called. He never, ever called. I have no idea where he is. I had that cat and the cat hated me. He peed in my purse. He peed in my shoes. He peed in my bed. The cat had to go.
    Now he lives with my best friend and they are so in love with each other, it's crazy. Everything worked out.
    Aren't you glad you're not that schmuck though?

February 2nd, 2005 at 11:57 pm

Holeee. You say that *I'm* a good person?
    I'm really impressed with your dedication and compassion.
    And your tolerance for errant urine streams.

18. kittynitro Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 11:08 am

Oh, I can't wait to see the little Torgus Lamattery-Johnson Le Mew. I'm all over the kitty-lovin'. And the kitty-witty baby talk.

February 2nd, 2005 at 11:43 pm

You've always had the best names for him. This is the best yet.
    He's been asking for you by name, you know.

20. kittynitro Says:
    February 3rd, 2005 at 8:26 pm

meeeeewwwww. schmirrrrrsten….

21. podle Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 3:28 pm

My, he's a magnificent specimen of the very best sort of cat (black and greg tabbies are the apex of catdom – as I'm sure you already know). I agree with the long memory theory, too. He was most likely pissed at you for leaving (even while being perfectly happy with Carrie).
    When we lost Mothra last year our vet mentioned that cats can take up to a year and sometimes longer to adjust to a new pecking order. Sounds like he'll be adjusting for a bit. I can't wait to meet him!

February 3rd, 2005 at 12:00 am

I just know that you two will get on like a house on fire.
    In fact, he might just decide to leave me for a better model WHO DOESN'T LEAVE.
    You have the room at home, right?

23. tisme Says:
    February 2nd, 2005 at 8:50 pm

Good cat stories are excellent. I left my old lady behind at my old apartment, as she was far too attached to flatmates and the furniture, often literally.

February 3rd, 2005 at 12:01 am

They have delicate surgical procedures for just that kind of thing.
    Do you still get to visit her, and how does she treat you when you show up?

25. tisme Says:
    February 3rd, 2005 at 4:40 pm

I see her very often, as she lives with my ex (the reason I had to move out) and one of my best friends (funnily enough, also an ex of my ex). She is always very happy to see me, although no more so than any of her other 'carers'. I think Ed (the friend) would have self combusted if I had removed her. A former flatmate said to me just today that he still misses her, almost two years later. I, however, am on the hunt for a kitten, of which there is apparently an official Shortage in Edinburgh.

February 6th, 2005 at 3:07 am

Yeah, I went on a brief but effective kitten-eating binge during my year there. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    A boy has got to eat.

27. gingiber Says:
    February 3rd, 2005 at 5:27 am

Glad to hear you have torgi back and he is settling in well. Cats and carriers just don't mix. Grevo develops 8 extra legs every time we try to put him in one 🙂

February 6th, 2005 at 3:08 am

Oh, man. I can only imagine that huge lump of a cat with twelve limbs!
    Now THAT'S Grievous Bodily Harm.

29. gingiber Says:
    February 7th, 2005 at 8:13 am

You can belive it.
    I need to put up a pic of how huge he is now 🙂

February 9th, 2005 at 11:25 pm

For some reason, I can't access gingiber.com.
    I'm very perturbed about this.

31. gingiber Says:
    February 10th, 2005 at 5:08 am

you need the www
    try this <a href="http://www.gingiber.com/P2040004.jpg” target=”_blank”>http://www.gingiber.com/P2040004.jpg

February 10th, 2005 at 10:12 am

You don't think I'm *that* technically incompetent, right?
    Won't work, even with the www, or with the link above, neither in Safari nor Firefox. Could your domain be protected?

33. gingiber Says:
    February 10th, 2005 at 10:48 am

Not protected. I have never heard of anyone having a problem before. What error message do you get?
    Sorry, the www thing was just 'cause if I don't put www in I get thalamus instead, and since you had posted it without the w's I thought that might be the prob.
    All very odd. Sorry.

February 10th, 2005 at 10:57 am

Both browsers say that the domain http://www.gingiber.com don't exist.
    Strange, indeed!
    Are you just a figment of my imagination? Did I dream all of our adventures?

35. velvetdahlia Says:
    February 3rd, 2005 at 7:17 am

Little Torgi! I'm so glad he's adjusting well. Sounds really stressful for you and him.
    I really miss Lemmy– I'll be able to get him when I move into my new place in a couple weeks (credit check permitting). I miss him so much. I hope he doesn't forget me.

February 6th, 2005 at 3:11 am

It was some test, but things are turning out just fine, thank you.
    There's *no way* that Lemmy will forget you. But you know he'll be pissed for a wee while. You just have to expect that. Good luck with the new place; I'm reading your travelogue with great interest. Amazing how things have flipped and have come full circle!

February 8th, 2005 at 10:45 pm

glued to the picture of that cute furry ball of fun…
    I think I could hear his yowl for me the other night :o) I miss the furry little guy and his loving personality but I feel warm and fuzzy knowing that now he is not only getting love from one person but a house full of cat lovers! I am sure he is in heaven as are you.
    I look forward to seeing my boys soon…
    Carrie

February 9th, 2005 at 11:27 pm

He's so much different already, Carrie. It's like he's reverted right back to the boy I knew before I left. Your good nature has certainly rubbed off on him, however, and I thank you for that!
    And now he smells of vanilla…