A Few Interests.

1) arab strap:
One of the finest bands to come out of the Glasgow music scene, they pretty much exemplify honesty in song-writing through tell-all stories of broken love that pull no punches, mixed with an unhealthy measure of self-deprecating wit and candor that the Scots are known for.

2) books:
Duh. They are my love and my lifeline, and they call to me from the many shelves lining walls in every room.

3) cranes:
My favorite band for the most formative years of my life, I fell in love *with* them and *to* them. So incredibly atmospheric, touching, sweet, longing…moving. I am a Cranes completist in the fullest sense – both material and soul.

4) fake fur:
‘Cause it feels good, baby. Four of my bed pillows are gorgeous patterns of fake fur, and there’s just nothing like nuzzling your face into them on a cold night after a good read and a cup of tea.

5) history:
This is my driving passion, to which I’ve devoted my life. The discipline is mighty, and I’m deeply entrenched, ever scheming to find the right way to be good to it. She’s a fickle bitch, but I have no other choice – she captivates me. The mark of a good historian is one who considers *all* sources, removing the bias that a perspective of hindsight bestows while still using it to advance knowledge and appreciation of the historical context – and who lovingly assimilates this information to a synthesis that is accessible to others, both academic and public.

6) mac osx:
The best thing to happen to Apple since Lisa. MONTHS of uptime, great stability due to its UNIX framework, pretty GUI, total integration of apps…and it works when you want it to and how you want it to.

7) noam chomsky:
Our dear Lion of the Left, at times seemingly the only written voice pealing out against the travesties of modernity from a well-researched historical perspective – while still maintaining a visceral, cogent, narrative style that simply makes sense amidst the sea of madness that is mass media.

8) rebecca guay:
A modern Pre-Raphaelite who uses fantasy to convey emotion and beauty. She’s done Magic cards, Green Lantern, storybooks for children…prolific and quite a dish, herself.

Look here.

9) stephen ambrose:
Perhaps America’s most prolific narrative historian, Ambrose almost single-handedly created the resurgence of consciousness about World War II in this country. He had a huge ego, brash tendencies, questionable research practices, and a weepy, overly-patriotic style, but he was undoubtedly good for interest in history and also good for our rapidly-disappearing veterans of perhaps the most important conflict in the modern age.

10) tram:
Paul Anderson has one of the most soothing, lovely voices that a man has ever uttered. Mixed with dark and plodding but symphonically-complex melodies, Tram is a begging question of what destroyed the humanity within love and lust. Winter rain music, for certain, best served with a glass of whisky and a cigarette.

Enter your LJ user name, and 10 interests will be selected from your interest list.

15 Responses to “A Few Interests.”

1. lady_in_satin Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 8:45 pm

OK, I did this and my interests suck.
    Apparently I only like things that are so obvious that they require no explanation. Christ.

September 22nd, 2005 at 8:20 pm

Actually, I'd like to hear your monologue on dill pickles.
    In fact, I'm eagerly waiting.

3. lady_in_satin Says:
    September 23rd, 2005 at 8:06 am

That's the thing, I'm not certain you do. I can monologue on just about any subject.
    Ever since I was in high school, I have been a huge fan of Claussen Kosher Dill Pickle Halves (specifically and almost exclusively the halves). Their crunchy, briny goodness has saved me from a serious snack binge hundreds, if not thousands of times by satisfying the craving for salt and filling me up without a million and a half calories.
    Soon, I intend to make a batch of dill pickles on my own but my fear is that they'll lack that certain chemically-sour something that Claussen has in spades. Because, what is it really, that makes them so perfect? The loads of garlic? The dill? The vinegar? Some magic spice? I long to find out.
    I am also a devoted subject of the big, scary dills that they fish out of a barrel for you at the deli (usually in New York). They come from the same magical root as the Claussens, but with a homespun artisan feel that I hope to replicate with my own.
    Please note that I am not a fan of all pickled foods. Pickled pigs feet, carrots, and peppers are just a few of the items that I do not enjoy.
    It must also be noted that Bread and Butter pickles are the food of Satan and must be avoided at all costs.

September 23rd, 2005 at 11:34 am

You see? I feel like I know you so much better already.

5. lady_in_satin Says:
    September 23rd, 2005 at 12:18 pm

I didn't read before posting and I just noticed a typo, "pigs feet."
    But then, would it be pigs' feet or pig's feet?
    Hmmm…
    I'm certain the former is correct, since usually it's a grab-bag of feet from multiple pigs and not just one pig's feet.
    I am not neurotic!

September 23rd, 2005 at 3:23 pm

I would tend to agree that pigs' feet is correct, as you can't eat just four!

7. sleepycinderell Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 3:14 am

Do you have tartan fake fur? : )

September 22nd, 2005 at 8:21 pm

Not yet, but I aim to.
    Talk about warp and weft!

9. no_mans_land Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 10:46 pm

<small>the next time i am in the CA area, i'm paying you a visit…if you speak like you write, our conversations will be lovely.</small>

September 22nd, 2005 at 8:33 pm

Well, actually I pay a professional writer to post in my journal, which makes me sound smarter and far more interesting than I am in actuality.
    I have complete confidence that we'd get on very well. I hope that you'll indeed look me up if you're ever in the area. We have more than enough room – and booze!

11. hermiston Says:
    September 29th, 2005 at 3:05 am

If you like rebecca Guay surely Jessie M. King will tickle your fancy. A leading member of Kirkcudbright's art colony a century syne. There's not a lot on the net but ah've a book somewhere I'll look out for you…

September 29th, 2005 at 9:47 am

Yes, she's quite interesting. I'd like to see more of her work – most of the stuff I can find is copied onto tea cups and plates. What is it with the Glasgow prediliction to putting everything on stoneware?

13. hermiston Says:
    September 29th, 2005 at 5:12 pm

she's wasted on teacups and that stuff; alas, Scotland, far beyond Glasgow, exists on such media – the Jacobite cause is shortbread tin: charles rennie macintosh is a necklace, bracelet or earring: the plaid is a bookmark; Glenfiddich is the noble savage; just like the colloseum is a russell crowe movie.
    I once read an inventory of an old library in Aberdeen's special collections, I think it was George Mackenzie's, and there was evidence to suggest that even educated Scots of the eighteenth century held an interest in faerie-folk (as my grandmother did until she died four years ago). whether it bordered on belief is irrelevant; it amounted to beautiful art that suggested something about the sensitivity and imagination of a culture. On a teacup it may be a sad commercialisation of that innateness, in a book it's sweet but also responsibly credible to the originals, which are, of course, examples of a rare talent.

September 30th, 2005 at 12:07 am

This is truly a beautiful thought and consideration. See why I need you around?
    Ever looked through W.Y. Evans-Wentz's The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries? Sounds like it's right up there with what you're speaking of.
    Oh, and the Jacobite cause IS a shortbread tin. *poke poke*

15. hermiston Says:
    November 23rd, 2005 at 6:35 am

Reverent Robert Kirk of Aberfoyle, Gaelic Luminary also wrote "The Secret Commonwealth", an account of the fairy world and its inhabitants by a believer. I knew i'd come across the reference eventually…