Autumnal.

The fall brings change and rebirth, transformation and the yielding of secrets carried on crackling leaves and wisps of winter-hinted air. We don’t have the colors of fall here in San Francisco, but we do have the misty, dusky evenings and burning madrone and oak wafting on top of the ocean breeze, all come to tell us to bundle up, even in California.

This is my favorite time of year, a harbinger of busy but fun months ahead. I look forward to pulling out the scarves and the sweaters, layers of comfy textiles heaped on in the morning and the warmth of my traveler’s cup of tea stuffed between my legs for the drive across the Golden Gate into work. Long, rainy days in Marin are a pleasure when scrutinized through the big glass windows of the store, tires ripping narrow swathes across the wet concrete, specially-chosen playlists of dulcet tones to sweetly pass the downtime before November signals the rush of the Christmas retail season. Much like a teacher’s labors in high school, part of the lull and the lure of running a business is the pause between terms – in our case it’s the spring and the fall. These all-too-brief periods are often spent working on projects long-neglected, artistic and mundane, and it’s a pleasure to be able to mix business and pleasure, especially when often they’re one and the same.

FallLeaves

I’m optimistic about the next few years here. Part of the excitement of life is always to keep an eye on the adventures just around the corner, and I feel that there are ghosts and whispers just ahead in many aspects, just as there is comfort and stability in the mundane day-to-day. I keep pictures close to me and far-away friends deep in my heart while terribly enjoying my time now and those close, hoping to one day enjoin and entwine the two. Fate has something to do with it, but I still feel that I’m carving my own way with the help of some very astounding people who have similar visions and dreams. There’s so much yet to do, in this life and in the one a few years from now. But how long is a few years, really?

Flame

I said goodbye to my best friend this morning. In a clever twist of reciprocity, he departed for Londinium to find adventure with and while his wife undertakes her postgraduate degree. He’ll be gone for about a year, and I woke up early this morning to take him to the airport. It’s funny that I seem to have just gotten back and now he’s virtually in the place I just was. That transposition can only build a greater respect and fondness between us – to see where we’ve both been. I’m looking forward to communicating often over the miles, however, aided by solid Apple technology and excitement for his present exploits. He’ll be back to conduct some business and pleasure over the year – and it looks like I’ll be meeting him next fall for a reunion up in Scotland. This, I can’t wait for.

And this large departure comes just three days after we dropped our dear angledge on a plane designed to do very much the same thing – to travel far away. Three months of contract work for a good cause is a small price to pay for an empty house in the fall, and I salute her for her good efforts and kind nature. Good luck! The boys will be here when you return.

These days, that’s what this life seems to be about. Leavings and returns. Cycles and circuits. Transformation.

21 Responses to “Autumnal.”

1. handworn Says:
    September 27th, 2005 at 8:01 pm

Nice!

September 28th, 2005 at 9:10 am

We are the darlings of flux. Yes we are.

3. dirtbaby Says:
    September 27th, 2005 at 8:05 pm

My love, you write devinely. Do not let the ink run dry…

September 28th, 2005 at 9:11 am

That's extremely touching. I wish I had more time to write – it never comes as often as I'd like these days.

5. podle Says:
    September 27th, 2005 at 9:56 pm

How is it that you so often write beautiful things that remind of what I love right when I'm in the midst of a sulk?
    Thank you.

September 28th, 2005 at 9:12 am

Maybe it's meant to be this way. Maybe you do the exact same thing for me, and that's why we have this odd connection.

7. no_mans_land Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 12:05 am

<small>another lovely autumn-themed entry on my list.
    transition is always a positive thing for me. shedding old skin..severing ties to the past..constantly evolving.
    plus, fall fashion! :P</small>

September 28th, 2005 at 9:12 am

You consumer whore.

September 28th, 2005 at 2:48 am

wait a minute … you're coming back ?
    you're aware that the injunction i took out against you is good for 3 years, right ?
    you'll be hearing from my lawyer…
    anonymouseth
    —————

September 28th, 2005 at 9:14 am

Yeah, well. I was gonna tell you, but I thought I'd just idly stand outside of your window and CALL first.
    That's how we Yanks do it, you know.

September 28th, 2005 at 3:25 am

Autumn is my favorite time of year too. Wow, how exciting to have you back here again 😀
    Enjoy the shadows and mists. Where you live sounds beautiful.

September 28th, 2005 at 9:15 am

It is the Best Time, yes?
    And who is this, then? Someone who has forgotten to log in?

13. sleepycinderell Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 7:08 am

You're coming back! Excellent.
    Wait a minute, you've got next year planned already?! I'm slightly impressed. Ach, it'll give me an excuse to hang my new tartan cutains : )

September 28th, 2005 at 9:19 am

Heheh. Only slightly planned – other than the trip, I only know that I'll be eating and pooping.
    You're one of the people on my list that I'd really like to spend some time with. You going to be around in the fall? Perhaps we could go on a brief excursion somewhere exotic with S&L?
    If they're willing to see me, that is. 🙂

15. sleepycinderell Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 10:54 am

Ooh, yes, definate gallavanting and exploring required. Autumn colours in the highlands are so beautiful I could just lick the trees. Are you any good with canoes btw?
    I should still be living by the sea next autumn so you will be forced to light beach bonfires, watch sunsets and drink tiny single malts with me : )

September 28th, 2005 at 4:14 pm

Oh, that sounds like absolute torture. Don't know if I can handle it. 🙂
    Lick trees, you say? Does that go along with bonfires and whisky? Is it legal in Scotland?
    I'm a pretty fair hand with a canoe. I've never done horrific rivers, but I'd sure like to cruise the lochs if given a chance. You have something in mind?

17. sleepycinderell Says:
    September 29th, 2005 at 6:31 am

I've watched many canoes scoot past, heading along the coast (and in the lochs)with a very contented looking passenger relaxing idly behind the person who is doing all the paddling : )

18. seolta Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 10:38 am

Roll on next fall baby!!!! If you are very good i might make you pumpkin pie and take you back to the Vaults while you are here 😉

September 28th, 2005 at 4:15 pm

Oh, you KNOW I'm a very good boy. Feed me pie! Feed me pie!

September 30th, 2005 at 1:07 pm

Hiya! I've got just a few minutes online; thought I'd say hi. Guess what? We might be going to NOLA itself – straight into the belly of the beast…. I'll let you know as soon as I do…

October 1st, 2005 at 12:06 am

Oh my word. Tell me more when you get the chance, and BE CAREFUL!
    Xo!