Larks of the Meadows.

”[William Roberston, Adam Ferguson, Alexander Carlyle, et. al.] were all great peripatetics and the Meadows was their academic grove. There has never in my time been any single place in or near Edinburgh, which has so distinctly been the resort at once of our philosophy and our fashion. Under these trees walked, and talked and mediated, all our literary and scientific, and many of our legal, worthies. I knew little then of the grounds of their reputation, but I saw their outsides with unquestioning and traditionary reverence; and we knew enough of them to make us fear that no such other race of men, so tried by time, such friends of each other and of learning, and all of such amiable manners and such spotless characters, could be expected soon to arise, and again ennoble Scotland.”

– Lord Henry Cockburn, Memorials of His Time, posthumously published in 1856

Meadows

12 Responses to “Larks of the Meadows.”

1. eskimolimon Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 1:35 am

We used to picnic in the Meadows, thought I doubt our conversation was so civilised, our manners so amiable and our characters so spotless as the guys above.
    At night, though, it transformed into a no-go zone: All students exchanged horror stories about knife gangs and murderous thugs who lurked around the park in the dark, and we'd often take long detours rather than go through it. Shame really – at night it's really lovely, flat and clear. But it could be a dangerous place after dark.

2. anonymouseth Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 3:29 am

did you ever encounter any of the horrors first-hand, though ?
    the stories were rife when i first moved here, but i haven't encountered any trouble there and regularly go through it at all hours.
    lothian road, on the other hand…

3. warriorsway Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 3:56 am

Lothian Road's been cleaned up a lot, though. I'd be more worried about going through Gorgie and a small part of Fountainbridge, since the police don't patrol there nearly as heavily. Of course, that may be because gangs of knife- and bottle-wielding neds don't tend to spend time near clubs, and so go unnoticed.

4. eskimolimon Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 5:07 am

I knew a guy who was stabbed to death there in 1992 or 93. A long time ago I suppose, maybe it's cleaned up since and the knife-wielding hoodlums have moved elsewhere…
    Lothian Road was always mental. My girlfriend lived opposite the Filmhouse and on Fridays and Saturdays we would sometimes climb from her window and use the roof of the shop below as a balcony. Just two metres above peoples heads, no-one ever noticed us, but we saw glassings, brawls, all sorts of typical Lothian Road chaos. Of course the downside was that every time we actually wanted to go out at the weekend it felt like entering a war zone.

March 10th, 2006 at 10:02 am

I can totally see this happening; the rooftops above the Lothian shops often have barbecues, chairs, and empty bottles galore strewn across them, left from the people who live just above. I used to literally step over pools of blood and puke when walking down Lothian Road at night. The Meadows are really tame, though, as Seth mentioned.

6. mxhaunted Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 2:41 am

But did they box a small South African?! 🙂

March 10th, 2006 at 9:56 am

HA! Good one!

8. hermiston Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 4:11 am

"no such other race of men, so tried by time, such friends of each other and of learning, and all of such amiable manners and such spotless characters, could be expected soon to arise, and again ennoble Scotland.”
    -we'll see…

March 10th, 2006 at 9:57 am

Oh, man, I love you.

10. chaosvizier Says:
    March 10th, 2006 at 6:22 am

Huh huh huh, you said "cockburn"…
    Oh stop it. You knew that was coming.

March 10th, 2006 at 9:58 am

Right. I did.
    And notice how there was no mention of NINJAS in the Meadows? Guess the place must've sucked, huh?
    😉

12. dichroicynosure Says:
    March 22nd, 2006 at 1:28 am

peripatetics! Yummy word. Do tell me of your Las Vegas trip!