Special Show at Le Chateau!

IGR

This is a brief but special invitation to join us for a night of music, warmth, and libation at our home in San Francisco. On a rapidly-approaching evening in early April, Le Chateau de Jambon will be graced with the very special presence of In Gowan Ring and Nick Castro & The Poison Tree, both most excellent songsmiths and delightful performers. Though setting off on a rare, rocket tour of the Western coastline before their departure to Europe, they have very kindly accepted our invitation to come spend an evening amidst the fog and rain here in the City. Now, we hope you’ll also accept.

The time: 8:00-10:00 pm
The date: Monday, April 10th
The place: Le Chateau de Jambon – RSVP for the address

What to expect:
An evening to fill the senses. You may show up as early as 7:00 and of course you’re welcome to stay for chats and drinks after the music. We’ll be serving wine and hot cider, as well as light snacks throughout the night. We’ll have lots of pillows and a warm fire – this will be a very comfortable, intimate affair! Feel free to bring some sitting pillows of your own or a drink of your choice to add to the mix. Please note that we will be charging $7 per head, all of which will go to the bands.

Both bands can perhaps be best described as neo-folk, with a dark, ageless feel and the show will be all-acoustic and divided into two sets. For more on the bands, please see the sites offered below.

“B’eirth of In Gowan Ring is a not merely a minstrel and a troubadour, a prophet and a living poem. Featuring resonant drones, hand-made instruments, and warmly-quiet vocal pieces, his songs reek heavily of time and place, infusing stories of the natural with the supernatural and holding up the spiritual (or meta-spiritual) string that connects us with our surroundings. With closed-eyes and a nearly magical effect, B’eirth invokes the vocal confluence of David Tibet and Nick Drake, tempered by a gravity and creativeness all his own. I learn something arcane and feel something special every time I listen to this band.” (DSL, Ixmae.com)

“It becomes apparent that Nick Castro is so utterly aligned with whatever muse it is that leaves its trappings scattered about his presence that he may very well be serving as its dancing marionette, a direct channel to the source, rather than a subtly inspired soul.” (Dan Sorrels, Adequacy.net)

Spade

We are very limited on space, so we hope you’ll RSVP as soon as possible with your intention to join us. We kindly ask you to not invite more than one friend to come with you, and please make sure their presence is cleared first by contacting me by e-mail or by commenting here. Spaces will be offered first to those who are quick on the draw. Thanks for your time, and we hope to see you soon!

Fondly…Darren
funkyplaid at mac dot com

17 Responses to “Special Show at Le Chateau!”

1. hermiston Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 2:41 am

This sounds delightful and majestic. May Mo and I book a cushion? We'll bring oatcakes and tea!
    K

2. nik_strychnine Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 5:38 am

It's a bit far for me to travel, but luckily, In Gowan Ring are playing in Edinburgh (at Fimblevetr) at the end of May…

April 1st, 2006 at 11:09 am

I saw this! Make sure you're there; they're basically made for that city.

4. kimmaline Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 6:16 am

I will be there wholeheartedly in spirit, but not in the flesh. The flesh is failing (well…at least in some ways, I've got a few that still work perfectly fine, thankyewverrah much) of late…and I'm pretty maxed out.
    So, like…drink for me too? I think you can manage it. 🙂

5. podle Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 8:23 am

Please count Vegas Johnny and I in (and please also let me know if there is anything I can do to help).
    Many thanks for the invitation!

6. sleepycinderell Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 11:03 am

I want to come and stay with you for a while – I promise to sit quietly in a corner and draw tatoos on the walls : )

April 1st, 2006 at 11:10 am

The house is always open to visitors from afar, sincerely.

8. sleepycinderell Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 11:18 am

I'll ask my neighbour how long she thinks it will take to kayak across the water. I suspect it may be faster just waiting for you to steam back.

9. sleepycinderell Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 11:24 am

I forgot to say thanks!
    Did I mention that I think your house would look perfect parked here?..

April 1st, 2006 at 9:37 pm

Think we can push it, then? I'm all for it!

11. thistlelurid Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 11:43 am

May I, again, insist on a vid-cast? If youre able to set something up I was
    hoping to get a group together to watch…..I wonder how well it would
    translate through your isight? how many people can conference at one
    time? If all else fails ….I hope Im able to be the "jambi" for the evening…

April 1st, 2006 at 9:36 pm

As I mentioned, this is possible depending on spatial requirements and allowances. We'll stay close in touch about it and give it some test goes along the way. What you doin' later tonight?

13. handworn Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 12:27 pm

Awfully nice to be invited, and it sounds wonderful but I'm on the wrong coast for it. Consider me there in spirit.

14. hermiston Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 4:53 pm

forgive me for commenting twice.
    It is amazing but utterly unreasonable to thimk this cannot be done elsewere. I've said before that I envy your enthusiasm and industry. I will be honoured to be there and I hope that I can learn from your example: we should all be creating occasions in our own homes and environments that draw such socety – it makes the world go round; kudos to you.
    k

April 1st, 2006 at 9:40 pm

You're very kind to laud the event, and I'm *so* happy you'll be here for it. We have a distinct lack of community these days, and this is just a small drop in the bucket of remedy.
    Next one: Jacobite lectures at yours!

16. tallboi Says:
    April 3rd, 2006 at 5:55 pm

distinct lack of community. boy, do i hear that. how i wish i could join you for such a wonderful night. i will have to make do with their stop here in SD. now if only i could figure out where the hell "The Habitat" is. I've searched high and low for any info on the venue and found nothing. heres hoping my email to lune brings forth some information.

April 4th, 2006 at 11:32 am

Ah, Brian! You were one of the first people I had in mind for this show. I do wish you could be here, too.
    The Habitat, eh? Knowing them, it's literally a sequestered cluster of trees somewhere in the woods, just beyond a babbling brook. You do have *trees* in San Diego, yes? 🙂