Screw You, Comcast.

Of course most television these days is utterly moronic, but it’s a rare occasion when something interests me enough for me to catch it weekly. I let the first season of The Contender go by without a thought, but the second has a number of fighters with which I’m already familiar. It somehow seems right to follow their careers even in such an ostentatious forum such as Stallone and Leonard’s reality show. (And I hear it’s much better this season now that it’s on ESPN, which makes sense.)

Anyway, I missed last week’s episode and I’ve been avoiding all the boxing news sites so I don’t unwittingly come across a spoiler. That’s maddening enough for me, thanks. A re-broadcast of it is finally on, just before this week’s normal episode. I stay up until 1:00 am to catch it, and it just so happens that out of some six-hundred channels, the two ESPN providers are down for repairs. Halfway through the show, it goes out. I pay $150/month for this crap. And my Internet connection is slow tonight, too, you highway robbers.

So it’s back to Dynamophone distribution letters and some quick late-night work to beat the London deadline. Maybe if I stare at the blank TV screen hard enough, it’ll come on again and I can get back to properly procrastinating.

16 Responses to “Screw You, Comcast.”

1. sleepycinderell Says:
    August 23rd, 2006 at 3:46 am

Why haven't you put any boxing or training photos up on Flickr? Hmm? I want to see some action! : )

August 24th, 2006 at 12:23 am

Oh, c'mon now. It's not a pretty sight, I'll tell you right now. Matter of fact, I don't have too many to show…that I'd want to show. Haven't been doing much training these days, and in the past I was too busy dodging a pummeling to get good shots of the experience. 🙂

3. avalokita Says:
    August 23rd, 2006 at 4:35 am

I haven't been boxing since before my grandfather died. 🙁

August 24th, 2006 at 12:20 am

Mourning periods are often best relieved by vigorous physical activity and endorphin rush. It's always there when you're ready.

5. noire_blanche Says:
    August 23rd, 2006 at 7:17 am

You can download it using BitTorrent.
    I downloaded it, intending to put it on a free server for you, but the upload was taking almost two hours. Whereas downloading took me only 15 minutes or so, so you should try that! You can also download the older episodes there. 😉

August 24th, 2006 at 12:12 am

An excellent idea, and thank you for the generous intention. I'm downloading it now.
    Been trying to get a hold of you by posts and e-mail, but figured you'd been wanting to stay off the radar for a while. Hope you're well and happy; thinking of you.

7. hermiston Says:
    August 23rd, 2006 at 10:40 am

Bastards. It's not as if you over indulge on that little screen either.

August 24th, 2006 at 12:13 am

Yeah. I might have to do a little 'contending' of my own down at their customer relations center…
    😉

9. jacesan Says:
    August 23rd, 2006 at 11:13 am

You might get a kick out of Fight Science. I caught part of it Sunday night, but couldn't stay awake for the last hour. Fascinating stuff from a scientific perspective.

August 24th, 2006 at 12:17 am

I was told about this show by my science teacher co-worker, who mentioned how slanted the data were. This is the one where the boxer who outweighs everyone else actually has more mass to transfer a greater psi per punch?
    Boxers certainly have an excellent efficiency of force and transfer of energy, but there's that little issue of unfair weight comparisons…

11. jacesan Says:
    August 24th, 2006 at 5:18 am

Yeah…
    Their argument was that boxers train specifically for punching, and that's why his punches delivered more power. I didn't think of their differences in weight. There's a reason for the classifications in boxing. 😀
    The neat part was the CGI diagrams they used to show how the energy's transferred. It's easy to understand if you've trained, but I've noticed it's hard to explain to the kids I've tried to teach how to punch. The power doesn't come from your arms so much as the legs leveraging against the ground.

August 24th, 2006 at 8:43 am

Re: Yeah…
    Exactamundo. It's all in the gams.

13. thistlelurid Says:
    August 23rd, 2006 at 1:48 pm

I became too emotionally attached to everyone last time….
    everything becomes so dramatic Im nearly unable to handle it!
    Ive successfully limited tv watching to putting in dvds…
    150$ ??? holy cow!

August 24th, 2006 at 12:18 am

Honey, you get emotionally attached to sock monkeys and edamame. We should totally watch it together sometime, though. I'd love to hear your perspective.

15. thistlelurid Says:
    August 24th, 2006 at 10:57 am

shut up you……sock monkeys and edamame = love!
    I dont think Im going to be able to make it down for the
    barney show now…Im so upset about it…as I was emotionally
    attached to the thoughht of going! 🙂 & 🙁

August 24th, 2006 at 11:03 am

Bummer. I would have loved to have seen you.