Spinning the Black Circle.

The last teeny corners of my existence these days are filled up with that throbbing, emerging aural entity otherwise known as Dynamophone. This is spare time well spent, and I’m remiss in not speaking more of it here – me, negligent in my public relations duties. In less than a year and with only two physical think-tank meetings, Evan has prodded, drafted, molded, and loved the label not only into existence, but on its way to relative popularity. With Ryan and I holding things down in the States and deviously slugging our way through online zines, radio stations, and electronic and print reviewers all over the globe, Evan has singlehandedly crafted a monstrously beautiful brand and we’ve all gingerly but proudly touted its constituent artists to anyone who would listen. It appears to be taking hold.

We’re now available on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon, and a dozen other sites, as well as securing distribution through Tonevendor in the U.S. and Dotshop in Europe and Scandinavia. Three of four physical albums are now released and the fourth is already garnering bolstering reviews. We’re hearing from bands we already like who wish to sign on for next year’s catalogue. The search continues, in this great media scaffold that is the Internet, and elsewhere.

What was supposed to be a fun, fanciful side-project has turned into a viable little music platform, and we’re having a blast doing it. You’ll forgive my shameless plugging here, but you might like what you hear, because the sounds are delicious. There are some free digital downloads at our site, so you might enjoy a listen when you have the time.

While the music industry is not my primary meat and potatoes, understanding how this business model works can only expand my knowledge base for my own field. Coming up with illustrative and evocative copy for our public and media presentation keeps my adjectives honed. And the joy of packing up Evan’s gorgeous design into an enticing, tactile parcel and sending off hundreds of them to distributors, radio stations, and good customers alike is a pleasant pressure that keeps the quiet moments at work a bit more vivacious. Selfishly, being a part of something like this is self-motivating and extremely exciting for me. And whether it succeeds greatly or plummets miserably, the three of us will be all the richer for the experience.

Dynam1

Dynam2

Dynamophone, anyway you like it. Scream it three times from the top of a mountain, and we’ll come running.

Dynamophone!

Dynamophone!

Dynamophone!

19 Responses to “Spinning the Black Circle.”

1. thistlelurid Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 12:13 am

…and an added distribution point…you can brag that youve "fondled" each and every package.
    youre licking them too…arent you!??!???!! :*o

September 7th, 2006 at 8:56 am

How shall respond to this?
    Hell, yes, I've licked them.

3. no_mans_land Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 2:21 am

<small>As you know, I'm happy to assist in any way possible. Dynamophone is growing up right before our eyes . . *sniff* :]</small>

September 7th, 2006 at 8:57 am

You've been a big help thusfar, and we're very thankful for your presence. As more happens in NYC, hopefully we can throw more stuff at you on your side of the country.

5. catness Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 6:13 am

Gorgeous packaging. (Yeah, I'd lick them, too.)

September 7th, 2006 at 8:58 am

See, that's what I love: a lady who isn't afraid to lick. Wow. Can't believe I just said that.

7. catness Says:
    September 7th, 2006 at 10:01 am

Hey, a good package is hard to find!
    I mean, er… uh…

8. gingiber Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 7:34 am

What beautiful packaging. You guys are far to artistic and generally talented. This should be stopped.

September 7th, 2006 at 9:05 am

Evan is a master designer, and we sometimes take for granted that this part of the label is simply going to be fabulous. You might think the rest has something to do with talent, but really, all the talent here belongs to the musicians, and they're the ones who will bolster our comparatively meager efforts.
    But we'll stop if you say so. 🙂

10. aureliasveil Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 7:35 pm

I checked out the links and this is all such gorgeous sound. Music like clouds. It comes at a time for me when a lovely sugar-spun web is just what I need to float into to process recent personal cataclysms. Thank you. Thank you.

11. aureliasveil Says:
    September 7th, 2006 at 8:27 am

I just downloaded both the R/R Coseboom and A Lily albums through iTunes. Thank you again, this is just what I needed right now.

September 7th, 2006 at 9:02 am

Your quick support is greatly appreciated – thank you very much. I'm glad you've found some respite within, and I hope your current flux is manageable and quickly adapted to.
    I hesitate to request, but would you be so kind as to leave a customer review on iTunes when you find a moment? Since you actually own the albums, that feedback would certainly help us grow our interest. Thank you in advance for this.

13. aureliasveil Says:
    September 7th, 2006 at 1:24 pm

Yes, I was thinking about that when I bought them, as I saw there were no reviews yet. I'll try to whip something up for sure. It's been a long time since I heard something that I not only liked right away but knew I had to have and went and got it! I am actually quite old-fashioned in some things, this was my very first purchase from iTunes. Instantaneous satisfaction is really just the thing sometimes!

September 7th, 2006 at 10:41 pm

Well, then, you're a groundbreaker in more ways than one. Thank you, thank you.

15. aureliasveil Says:
    September 8th, 2006 at 4:25 pm

It is done. And here's what I wrote, for the record:
    For R/R Coseboom:
    Star-dusted subtlety, purring pins and needles and side-swept soundscapes enhabit a lyrical topography both haunted and soft. A jewel.
    The whole package is well worth it, but these tracks are particularly delicious:
    Hollywood Ending, Soft Breasts and Ice Cream, Arrythmia, Little Dust Wing.
    A Lily:
    This album is a shimmering sugar-spun spiderweb sparkling with complex, ethereal textures and music-box tenderness.
    Wake-Sleep is a more than apt title, this music is twilight-time divine.
    I Am to You, Leanna Is a Quiet Meow, You are the Sun Your Eyes Are the Sun, Aerials Quiet and Death-defying, Arms Around Sleep, The Shipwreck, a feathery ascent to awareness, a slippery slope to bliss.

September 9th, 2006 at 8:24 am

These are beautiful tributes, thank you. You should be writing reviews for this type of media all the time!

17. aureliasveil Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 9:02 am

Thanks! Well, give me more aural bliss and I may be so inclined…

18. tallboi Says:
    September 7th, 2006 at 10:45 am

from burning rare Cranes tracks in the mission to this. as always my friend your continued existance brings me great joy.

September 7th, 2006 at 10:40 pm

Always so good to hear from you, from in and around the bodies. Your warm words always bring a smile to my face. Hope you're well and good and bright as ever.