Another Episode.

Man, oh, man is that damned show Heroes well done. Never mind the fact that I can’t scrounge up the time to regularly sit down in front of the television and watch it – I’ll find a way. It pays tribute to the geeks raised on comics and sci-fi in a loving, innovative manner that, for this genre, is quite believable. It holds back secrets until the most opportune and unexpected moments, though clues are interleaved throughout for those willing to watch closely. And it somehow manages to not be a cheese-fest. Watch it if you get a chance – but catch it from the beginning for the best effect; you don’t want to spoil it for yourself.

Coincidentally, a man came into the store the other day who looked exactly like one of the show’s more mysterious characters – horn rims and all. I mentioned this to him, and though he hadn’t been watching, I was probably the third person that week to say something to him. Now I’m watching my back…

Bennett

12 Responses to “Another Episode.”

1. redshrike Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 10:16 am

wuv.
    i saw a just-shave-and-you'd-be-a-dead-ringer-for-hiro dude at marlena's bar on friday night, and he told me i was the fourth or fith person to approach him that week. "just put on a white button-down and tie*, and shave your fringe," i told him, "and tell people your name is hiro nakamura…and that you can bend time and space. and teleport into the future." he seemed skeptical, but thanked me.
    *he already had the right trousers and jacket.
    the show is full of holes (um, how did you pay for that coffee and shirt, if you're just wearing your jammypants? maybeyou charmed the waitress, and told her your men would be along shortly to pay the tab), but i love it, and i especially love hiro. even the actor's background as an fx programmer (see for instance the water effects in the second pirates of the caribbean movie) adds to his lovable-nerd cred. i was so happy to have needed to record and watch later last week's episode; it meant that i could re-watch "wafferu! woohoo!" a few times and bounce around some more.

2. scothen_krau Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 12:09 pm

Re: wuv.
    I noticed the PJs thing, too – and also chalked it up to Nathan's ultra-suave manner ("Come on, look at me. You know I'm good for it.")

November 1st, 2006 at 12:19 am

Re: wuv.
    Yeah, I wondered the same thing, but I chalked it up to the fact that he had a limo full of yes-men there to take care of the tab. In any event, I don't really consider that a 'hole'. We've been suspending that manner of disbelief in comics and the like for years.
    Wafferu! Hilarious.

4. podle Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 10:19 am

I'm loving this show, too. I'm especially enjoying Hiro. I think either SciFi or NBC will be doing a first 5 episodes marathon thingy in the next few weeks.
    Guy with glasses is absolutely creepy. Gah.

November 1st, 2006 at 12:19 am

You should see him in person. 🙂

6. dirtbaby Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 10:52 am

Niki is so hot.
    The worst thing is I watched the show by accident one night, and I haven't been able to miss it since. It happened with Battlestar Galactica too. I have to disable the SciFi channel or something.

November 1st, 2006 at 12:22 am

I've had a crush on Ali Larter since I saw her in some stupid high school movie a decade ago. I was pleased to see her – and so much of her – on a new show, playing a complex character in very few clothes. Wow, does that sound bad.
    I agree that this and BG are the two big ones of this past couple of years. But other than these, I don't watch much TV, so I could be missing a bunch of others.

8. scothen_krau Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 12:07 pm

I'm totally sucked into this show. what amazes me is how interesting all the storylines are – I'm so accustomed to tolerating certain characters so I can see my favorites, it took me a few weeks to realize I want to see more of every single one of them.

November 1st, 2006 at 12:24 am

Absolutely. They can't cycle through the storylines fast enough for my taste.

10. handworn Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 7:05 pm

Since it comes on right before Studio 60, I've caught the last minute or so of several episodes. Looks like it could be good. Anyway, if you have access to high-speed internet you can watch the latest episode on NBC.com, just as you can with quite a few of their shows.

November 1st, 2006 at 12:28 am

I saw that! What a great thing to have available. Gotta hand it to NBC for jumping on the progressive media train.

12. handworn Says:
    November 1st, 2006 at 6:46 am

It's even possible with some shows to download episodes for free, if you have the right kind of computer. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, for the sake of my accomplishing anything), I don't.