Soda Water & Bitters.

A nasty case of food poisoning didn’t quite prevent me from enjoying our quarterly employee meeting last night at the Pelican Inn on Muir Beach. I occasionally like to take the boys out for a nice meal and a few pints to keep the machine well-oiled and to reiterate the State of the Union, so to speak, and we recently anointed the Inn as the most representative locale for our collective tastes. It’s a special place, really; the only pseudo-16th-century British pub in Marin County. A blazing stone fireplace, a cozy pub area, and amazing food almost as greasy as in the U.K. Lots of Anglophilic/Albaphilic historical trinkets on the walls and a very friendly staff makes it the perfect place, and since it’s been our regular for store meetings lately, they’ve come to know us for our loud toasts, obnoxious laughter, and spontaneous, simultaneous Lord of the Rings references.

Pelican

So the guys pigged out on Cornish game hen, prime rib, fish and chips, and the like. I had a pint of soda and bitters for my roiling stomach and pretended every bubbly sip was made of 80/-. And somehow we got things done, meeting-wise, getting our Christmas concerns voiced and initiating the new guy. It’s a strong staff, as I’ve mentioned before, and we’re all ear-to-ear grinners because we know the gig is so tight. Andre is falling right into his position and is turning out to be an excellent leader. Our first month under total self-sufficiency has been highly in the green and working out great. Good stuff ahead.

It just so happened that the event coordinator for the pub was serving us, as is the custom on Monday nights, and she offered us a suggestion that is going to be the coolest thing since $1 coins were first offered to the reluctant American public. We’re going to do a weekly Gamescape-sponsored games night at the pub, and that kicks ass. First thing’s first: The Corx Revolution (thanks, Seth), Catan tourneys, and maybe a dart league. Lots more ideas in germination, and all five of us are chomping at the bit to make things happen. The boys believe in this project, and you can see it in their eyes.

And then there’s this. We now carry the full line, and I want every one.

This is all part of my plan to actually make good on what we set out to do through the store: community building and cross-locale exposure. Give people something else to do besides going to bars and clubs, and they’ll do it. January sees a massive after-school games program for kids, we’re hooking up with local youth centers in summer, and we’re going to blow it all up on Spring Break, when we’ll be organizing a combo Pirates CCG day and costumed regatta race aboard two historical ships on the Bay.

Gaslight

Bring on 2007 – we’re going to have some fun!

12 Responses to “Soda Water & Bitters.”

1. scotis_man Says:
    December 6th, 2006 at 12:28 am

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Sounds like exciting times at Gamescape.

December 7th, 2006 at 1:13 am

Nothing a little sleep and oatmeal can't heal up. 🙂

3. robby_rejected Says:
    December 6th, 2006 at 8:16 am

I'm very impressed with all the progress you guys are making and just wanted to say so. Those journals are beautiful. The artisan must be very talented!

December 6th, 2006 at 10:44 am

Those journals are also VERY well made. I've had a number of them at various times through life and they've all lasted in very good condition despite the fact that I'm not so nice to them somtimes (stuffing them into bags with lots of stuff, tossing them around the car, etc etc). My oldest I think I've had for around a decade or so now.

5. astorax Says:
    December 6th, 2006 at 10:45 am

Hmm…for reference's sake,that was me.

December 7th, 2006 at 1:17 am

Hey, thanks for that. I don't want to turn this journal into an advertisement for the store, but some of the initial stuff is fun to document. I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.
    And yes, Don and the rest of the gang at Oberon are amazing. We just got the stuff in and it looks marvelous in the case. It's all I can do not to take them all home and just start scribbling. 🙂

7. podle Says:
    December 6th, 2006 at 10:32 am

I love the Pelican Inn! I spent my first honeymoon there, lovely place. You've made me want to go back.
    I'm so pleased that things are going well at the store – I knew the holiday squid would be beneficial but I had no idea how much!

December 7th, 2006 at 1:25 am

Baby, that squid has cemented – or inked, as the case may be – a certain success factor that will one day be legendary in small circles known only to the ancients. And I owe it all to you!

9. jacesan Says:
    December 6th, 2006 at 10:36 am

One of my recent posts can attest to my love for the Pirates CCG. I also think it's awesome that you're getting the community involved with your store. Keeping kids out of trouble is the best thing about gaming.

December 7th, 2006 at 1:26 am

Oh, we prefer to get them *into* trouble. But it's wholesome trouble, honest.
    You know about the Viking ships coming out for the next expansion, then?

11. jacesan Says:
    December 7th, 2006 at 10:32 am

<lj user="skaldheim"/> mentioned the new Viking sets that are coming out next year. He's a bit of a Norse fan. I really hadn't kept up with the game much lately, and was surprised at some of the new undead crew's abilities.
    "What'd'ya mean you're EATING my crew?!?"

12. scothen_krau Says:
    December 7th, 2006 at 9:27 am

I do love that place so. And a games night! That's a marvelous idea.