Death of a Legend.

This just in: the term ‘last batch’ makes me feel very sad. I hereby decree that no more last batches of anything good are ever made. Just keep making good things ad infinitum. Thanks.

McEwans

18 Responses to “Death of a Legend.”

1. tkil Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 2:31 am

linkage woes?
    Hm, the link in your post seemed to 404 on me. I found the story here: <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6194337.stm” target=”_blank”>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6194337.stm
    And yes, it always sucks when a delicious beverage gets terminated. 🙁
    Between my favorite Scotch Whisky (the Glendronach 15yo) getting bought up and <q>re-targetted</q>, and my favorite brewery putting out special releases that sell out in hours (but then pull stunts like this only a few months after I leave town)…
    I think I'll just switch to cheap blended crap. At least I won't get my heart broken.

2. tkil Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 2:34 am

Re: linkage woes?
    And of course I chose the wrong userpic on my original reply. 🙂

December 20th, 2006 at 10:02 am

Re: linkage woes?
    That's strange: your link gives *me* a 404, whereas mine works fine for me. Let's hope that people can figure it out on their own between our friendly pointers.
    I understand why you love the Glendronach 15, and I'm sorry to see it having troubles. But if you switch over to blends, you'll only be doing yourself a disservice and you know it.

4. dirtbaby Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 10:47 am

Re: linkage woes?
    Life is too short to worry about whether it is a blend or not. If it tastes good, drink it.

December 21st, 2006 at 12:18 am

Re: linkage woes?
    True, but I've never tasted a blend that I earnestly enjoyed alone. That simple. Is that snobbish?

6. dirtbaby Says:
    December 21st, 2006 at 9:45 am

Re: linkage woes?
    Depends on if you didn't like it purely because it was a blend. I must admit to not drinking blends much, but I did enjoy a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue not so long ago (which I believe is a blend, but I didn't stop to find out). And it is only snobbish if you lord it over other people. Somehow I don't see you hanging out saying," can you believe that guy, he doesn't have the common decency to drink a single malt aged at least ten years."

December 21st, 2006 at 10:09 am

Re: linkage woes?
    You're right. But I have been known to hang out and say, "Can you believe that guy? He doesn't have the common decency to date a girl aged at least eighteen years!"

8. dirtbaby Says:
    December 21st, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Re: linkage woes?
    Well, unlike blends, dating a girl under the age of 18 is illegal.

9. hermiston Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 2:53 am

I'm feeling for you, that's a tough blow to take, especially at the holidays. Don't tell Bob, he'll be heartbroken ( but he at least got to kiss it goodbye during his visit).
    Camra will make noise but achieve little. Fortunately many more Scottish ales continue to be produced, and English and we can taste them all. Let's.

December 20th, 2006 at 10:08 am

Let's.
    I LOVE this idea. When can we start?
    At least it's just the cask ale 80/- that's going. There should still be plenty of the other 80/- to be had. And I'm going to find it, damnit all.

11. evilfb Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 6:26 am

Why O' Why
    Well I did my part while in Aberdeen. McEwans was the drink I had most,(other than Sporrin Warmer, thanks Kieran)damn should had drank more.

December 20th, 2006 at 10:11 am

Re: Why O' Why
    Man, I thought you wrote 'Sporran Water', and I was totally disgusted for a moment. Heheh.

13. evilfb Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 6:06 pm

Re: Why O' Why
    Sporran Water….haha love it. Sounds like a real crap whisky.

December 21st, 2006 at 12:18 am

Re: Why O' Why
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

15. warriorsway Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 12:53 pm

NOOOOOO! It can't be! I love 80/-!

December 21st, 2006 at 12:19 am

Drink it up while you can, my man.

17. gf_ripper Says:
    December 20th, 2006 at 4:13 pm

sigh, it was a very good beer? Link works for me
    Never had that beer, oh well looks like I never will now.

18. inbody Says:
    December 22nd, 2006 at 2:11 am

Ah, Yes
    I'm sure you know that I'm familiar with this brand of melancholy. Seems like only yesterday I clutched a bottle of 2004 Gamba Zinfandel. What stark reminders of mortality are these things that leave me feeling so alone… and thirsty!? 'Course, it is truly something else to see generations of tradition come to a halt.
    You know, I could use a drink.