One Book, One City.

Being the prestigious city of letters that it is, some well-meaning, strain-eyed officials sequestered in the libraries and archives of The Reekster have seen it fit to launch the Capital’s first citywide reading campaign, dubbed One Book, One Edinburgh. It’s nice to see UNESCO support go to something other than failing to preserve the Lauriston complex that Quartermile is transmogrifying. Heritage, apparently, means different things to different people.

Kidnapped1

The reading campaign is centered on a galleon-load (25,000) of free copies of the inimitable Robert Louis Stevenson’s Kidnapped, which were handed out to individuals and institutions throughout the city last week, including versions of the book in Scots and graphic novel format. dougygyro and I have thought well of joining in the fun, as it’s been some years since either of us have cracked open the ol’ boy. Anyone reading here is more than welcome to join in, and add a few more eyes to the prize of literacy awareness. Wee kin reed good, meyt as wel yuze et.

Kidnapped2

(While you’re at it, check out the all-star compilation of Scots writers in another One City Trust compilation that preceded this campaign.)

———————————————————-

In other news that really illustrates the wonders of Internet technology well-utilized, the UofE website is archiving an audio feed of the inaugural lecture of their Scotland and the Union event, ‘Debating the Union of 1707’, which was held at McEwan Hall on 10 January. On the excellent panel, coincidentally, is my former postgrad supervisor, together with hermiston‘s present supervisor – universities apart, but united in their subject. Our boys are joined by that controversial mire-stirrer and consummate historian I spoke of in a recent post on the Union, Chris Whatley. Still can’t wait to read his new one.

Now it’s one book, two cities, as ever.

13 Responses to “One Book, One City.”

1. kittynitro Says:
    February 4th, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Fun! I don't think I've ever read Kidnapped. It's the one that stars Tom Hanks, right?
    Seriously, though. We do One City One Book here at SF Public Libraries too. I think it's a great idea.

February 5th, 2007 at 8:55 pm

What's the last S.F. One Book that was proffered?

3. sleepycinderell Says:
    February 5th, 2007 at 12:16 am

An old favourite of a book! Every time I read it I want to make that journey (but in more comfort). It's good to think of copies infiltrating the city and popping up on cafe tables, park benches, statue plinths, bars..

February 5th, 2007 at 12:24 am

Better than cows and rubber ducks, eh, love?

5. sleepycinderell Says:
    February 5th, 2007 at 9:25 pm

I'm thinking ferrets will be the next Big Thing. Giant ferrets. Possibly giant rubber ferrets.

6. handworn Says:
    February 5th, 2007 at 11:46 am

Kidnapped is a fun book; I just reread that for the first time since I was a boy. My favorite phrase from it is "Ye're a man of small contrivance," which it seems to me has many potential applications.
    As always with early books, I can't help wondering what Kidnapped would look like if modern editors got hold of it.

February 5th, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Of course it would be a disaster to end all others. Think Pirates of the Caribbean and Braveheart mixed together…
    😉

8. not_so_evil_now Says:
    February 5th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

*bounce bounce bounce*
    Me and the scurvy knave have been partaking of said edition. 😀
    Also, my new local is the Hawes Inn. So you must come for much curousing. Bring yer drinkin' sporran laddie.

February 5th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Oh, man. The place looks marvelous. I hope you'll take me this summer!
    So glad you're digging into Robert Louis, too. You're living the life he has and would have, my dear. Drink it down!

10. hermiston Says:
    February 6th, 2007 at 4:38 am

A Great book and a Fine initiative. I hope it continues and succeeds.
    Looking forward to checking out the U of E lead…

February 11th, 2007 at 6:46 pm

You going to have time to join us in reading the thing?

12. scothen_krau Says:
    February 7th, 2007 at 11:48 am

Funny, Kidnapped is on my list of "Why the hell haven't I read this already?" books. I shall have to bump it up in the cue.

February 11th, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Hey, why the hell haven't you read this already?