Notes from the Centrifuge.

Just a nod from the trenches as we fall into the last two massively rushed weeks before the convention – the coming days will be a mess of logistics, public relations, and transport: some three dozen 2’x6′ terrain boards, stacks of tournament paperwork for twenty-four FoW contestants, prize support for three events, projection equipment, and two large tumbleweeds. Don’t ask, there will be pictures. Promise.

It’s the kind of busy that is terribly invigorating but which evokes quick breaths of anxiety at inopportune moments and long sighs of stabilization to stave off the feelings of pressure. Lots of people are relying on this, and creating a successful brand includes advocating an air of competence and energetic enthusiasm – more than what is maintained at the shop on a day-to-day basis – on the road in a different environment. This, at a very critical time in the development of the prestige within the local industry. Blah blah blah.

Glenrothes

A ridiculously generous evilfb blew me away with a bottle of my very favorite single malt, the 32-year old Glenrothes. I had only tried this vintage once whilst at The Grill in Aberdeen with hermiston. The lights there were far too bright, but that was the perfect motivation to drink, and quickly. Their whisky bible was thick as a Christmas ham. Now I’ve got my own bottle, and I’ve been toting it around from meal to meal to share with beloved friends. What fortune! What indulgence!

Grill List

Despite what Blonde Redhead have been, they’ve become something really special on their latest album, 23. Haven’t been able to stop listening to it; so far perhaps the best album of the new year, rapidly becoming no longer new.

BlondeReadhead

Hit this and see what I mean.

Hope to catch you in the coming days, or at least on the flip-side of this uncompromising May Madness.

14 Responses to “Notes from the Centrifuge.”

1. ohjolielaide Says:
    May 13th, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Wow. I was listening to Blonde Redhead all day yesterday while making candles and blending skin oils. Usually I'd choose something homey and retro like Les Paul and Mary Ford, so it felt like it was an odd musical choice for what I was doing. Now understand that I was just having a psychic moment with you.
    Holy jeez, that scotch looks lovely. Evilfb is the greatest!

May 19th, 2007 at 10:19 am

He really is the greatest. And so are you, and our fleeting psychic moments.

3. scotis_man Says:
    May 13th, 2007 at 10:38 pm

I had no idea that Bob was back. Would dearly love to see you all.

May 19th, 2007 at 10:13 am

If you pop by the lecture next Saturday, we should both be there. Of course, we're overdue for a get-together no matter. Word is out that Aaron D is back in town; we should look him up!

5. scotis_man Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 8:18 pm

He is. I had corresponded with him just as he got back. We were moving at that point, so we did not link up. But he is definitely back.

May 23rd, 2007 at 6:41 pm

Any chance you can mail me his current e-mail address?

7. scotis_man Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 9:14 pm

I stumbled across him on tribe. Are you on there?

8. dirtbaby Says:
    May 15th, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Ha. Glenrothes is my favorite, and you have had it with me no less than twice. Once at a party at your house, where I brought a bottle from the 1979 batch (given to me for a birthday), and later, during that magical night at your store, where my antics have become legend (that bottle was from the 1984 batch). In my mind everything else is swill (although the 84 didn't stand up to the 79).

May 19th, 2007 at 10:19 am

I remember both times like the back of my butt. I can't remember if that was the first time I had the stuff, but ol' Steen got me a bottle for my first graduation back in the mid-90s, and that was the first time I knew I would have to keep a bottle close at hand.
    Knowing this about your good taste also means that you and I are now overdue for a dram.

10. tallboi Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 4:23 pm

so brother, i'll be heading up north to harbin come the first week in june. i'd love nothing more than to share a pint/glass on the way north. give me a call should you be available. -b 619-241-1115

May 23rd, 2007 at 6:41 pm

I'm pleased to hear this and I'll totally make time. Can you give me an idea of what days you'll be in the direct vicinity?

12. tallboi Says:
    May 30th, 2007 at 8:54 pm

I'll be arriving in SF on saturday the second, staying until we ship further north on monday. temple has offered crash space but i'd love to join you for a bit if there be room. let me know what your status is. i'm having a fernet and ginger right this moment in fond memory ;>

June 1st, 2007 at 9:25 am

This is good news. I've got Sunday entirely open, and you're welcome to have a stay at Le Chateau that evening if you'd like. I'd certainly love to host you. Please do give me a ring, either at the store or on my mobile phone. I'll hold the day until I hear from you. You have my numbers?

14. tallboi Says:
    June 3rd, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I've got a very outdated cell number it seems. I've a call into gamescape and have asked them to give you a ring with my number. Otherwise, see above ;> See you soon brother. -b