Back to the Lectern.

While it’s ridiculous that I haven’t noted anything of value here in a long number of days, the reason becomes self-evident when I mention the event below, amongst other life-changing-for-the-better paradigm shifts. Please feel free to join me if you’ve got the inclination, as this has become a yearly thing where a lovely gaggle of people tend to re-engage after far too much time apart.

Saturday, May 24th 7:00 PM
Hyatt Regency San Francisco, Room 7052
1333 Bayshore Hwy, Burlingame

Charlock

Once derided as inhuman by both the British politic and popular eye, the 18th-century Scottish Jacobite soldier later made a re-emergence as a British national hero – ironically integrated into the very military body against which he once fought. Some were conscripted to escape the unthinkable punishments for treason dispensed after the failed Jacobite Rebellions; others were loyal to the Hanoverian government throughout the entire turbulent century. Detailing the organization and behavior of the Scottish regiments in the New World on the eve of a wholly different revolution, this presentation will examine the martial and social conditions of their peculiar integration with the British army and the Scottish soldier’s metamorphosis from “rebel” to “hero.”

—————————————————

As per usual, it’s part of a larger conference, but I have no compunctions about telling people that they don’t have to register to attend this particular event. Bring a pillow and a drool cup if you like, but be prepared to see nasty propagandized broadsides about the Scots and their choices of apparel, amongst other malignant aspersions. Do not fret: the inexorable flux of time and weakness of human memory means everything turns out okay in the end. If you’re lucky, I’ll even let you fondle my gorget.

8 Responses to “Back to the Lectern.”

1. hermiston Says:
    May 21st, 2008 at 4:13 pm

'Nemo me impune lacessit' translates loosely into Scots thus: Wha daur meddle wi' me?
    Surely you'll be great Chief. Enjoy it. H

May 27th, 2008 at 12:43 pm

And how fitting. In this case, it's utterly ironic. Impunity, indeed!

3. scotis_man Says:
    May 22nd, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I wish I could be there. 🙁 A prior commitment conflicts. I will be rooting for you from afar. Can I sign up for a transcript?

May 27th, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Shit, man. No transcript needed. It's called "Pass Me a Dram and Let's Chat". It'll be much more clear and concise, as well. 🙂

5. scotis_man Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Things will be a little crazy for a while, but when this project finishes, I should have some time for myself.

6. cygnoir Says:
    May 25th, 2008 at 12:11 am

You were magnificent.
    When is your next lecture, please?

May 27th, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Re: You were magnificent.
    Later tonight, when I lecture you on the frustrations I've been having with the existential blockage in my psyche.

May 27th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Oh, if I only had read this in time! That will teach me to keep up with my friends' blogs!
    Congratulations on your sang-froid and expertise, which I am sure were both on display. And blessings on your future endeavors.
    Hugs,